Ontopic Wireless and Wireless Bridges.

Duke

. . first name's "Daisy" boys
May 12, 2008
Brandon, FL
Marklar
₥36,366
So. I'll admit the semi shame of having old wireless equipment. I'm currently using an HP WAP connected to a Cisco VPN Router. Yes, I know that they have integrated the two components into 1 device forever, but I liked keeping them separate. But it's time to move on. I'm still on wireless G for fucks sake.

So, the plan is to pick up a wireless N, and then add a media bridge to connect the entertainment center to my wireless backbone. I'll most likely go dual band since I have a lot of WiFi saturation around and using the 5 GHz band will filter a lot of that shit out. While I could connect most of the devices in the entertainment center via wireless, I'd rather just set up 1 bridge connection to do the transfer and have the media center all wired.

I'm looking at the Cisco e4200 dual band for the primary wireless router, and possibly the D-Link DAP-1522 dual band WAP for the Media Bridge. While in the long run, it might be cheaper, and definitely be more reliable, to run an ethernet cable from my upstairs office and try and fish it down 2 floors to the living room, I can't even be sure I have a conduit that runs the height of the house to snake it down from the attic, so wireless seems the way to go.

Anyone have any experience with these products, or anyone else set up multi-node wireless bridges in your house? Any products you like? Have you used any new images of DD-WRT in a router to do this instead of the factory firmware?

0sYar.jpg

GET IT? WIRELESS BRIDGE????

LLOLKOKLOLOLOLOLOKOLOK<PIKM POINPIN{OUIB A{IOSUCFDS FJUDSB OLVJN *dead on keyboard

Fuck media over wireless, even N. Use MoCA. Way cheaper and faster.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1145636

Yeah, I know you use this setup, and have thought about it. But, as it stands right now, using just the wireless connection from my PS3 over a G network, Netflix streams flawlessly. But since I want to add a media center down there, I just thought it would make more sense to put in a 4 port switch with a built in bridge.

I have no idea why I'm against the MoCA solution right now, but something has me thinking that it won't work. Which means it probably will.

Yeah, I know you use this setup, and have thought about it. But, as it stands right now, using just the wireless connection from my PS3 over a G network, Netflix streams flawlessly. But since I want to add a media center down there, I just thought it would make more sense to put in a 4 port switch with a built in bridge.

I have no idea why I'm against the MoCA solution right now, but something has me thinking that it won't work. Which means it probably will.

The best part is that each MOCA endpoint is a 4 port switch and its own AP (if you buy the old Actiontecs). And each end point is probably almost as configurable as any Cisco switch and can be had for <$25 if you're patient.