Wireless Adapters

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
Best way I've found is with a PCI adapter. They aren't too pricey, tend to be more reliable, get better signal strength, and are just cooler. Unless you don't have a slot free. On another note: they tend to not really be any more money but just really do a better job. I've got 2 desktops setup with that. It's great. Less wires around the house = sex.

I'm on my laptop right now about to bring the cable box back to comcast. I leave in the morning.

I'll take pix and shit of the move for epic thread making.

What did I start talking about again?

Best way I've found is with a PCI adapter. They aren't too pricey, tend to be more reliable, get better signal strength, and are just cooler. Unless you don't have a slot free. On another note: they tend to not really be any more money but just really do a better job. I've got 2 desktops setup with that. It's great. Less wires around the house = sex.

I'm on my laptop right now about to bring the cable box back to comcast. I leave in the morning.

I'll take pix and shit of the move for epic thread making.

What did I start talking about again?

my pci slots are on the bottom of left of the board which is the bottom left of my tower. My pc will be sitting on the floor and against a wall which is why I was wondering about how the reception would be. I didn't want to buy a high gain antenna for it and figured the USB option would let me move the receiver around to a good spot.

Anyways, I'm still looking around for one that got good reviews. we'll see what happens, i could go either way and be fine I think...i'm not gaming on it or anything, just the basic pron downloading and such.

my pci slots are on the bottom of left of the board which is the bottom left of my tower. My pc will be sitting on the floor and against a wall which is why I was wondering about how the reception would be. I didn't want to buy a high gain antenna for it and figured the USB option would let me move the receiver around to a good spot.
Should still work, and probably a higher signal strength than most of the USB wireless adapters, as most of them have either internal antennas or small "rubber duckie" antennas only a couple inches tall, vs. an internal wireless card's antenna at 4" or 6" tall.

Edit: I found that particular linksys USB wireless adapter gets crappy signal strength. Get an internal card, like the WMP54G or whatever that model is by linksys. Worst case scenario if you still get a low signal with the internal card is to get an external antenna that screws onto the internal wireless card.

Last edited:
Should still work, and probably a higher signal strength than most of the USB wireless adapters, as most of them have either internal antennas or small "rubber duckie" antennas only a couple inches tall, vs. an internal wireless card's antenna at 4" or 6" tall.

Edit: I found that particular linksys USB wireless adapter gets crappy signal strength. Get an internal card, like the WMP54G or whatever that model is by linksys. Worst case scenario if you still get a low signal with the internal card is to get an external antenna that screws onto the internal wireless card.

yeah, that's the route I think i'm going to go.

I need to just junk a few old file servers and get a NAS storage device. Probably the savings in power would pay for the device super quick. All I ever use at home anymore is a laptop and just dump files to the others for storing.

I've used the pci cards a number of times in a home environment where they weren't what you would consider ideally located and never once had a problem

I bought that Buffalo router and I have a pci 54g linksys adapter. I game on it and didnt have problems until I just reformatted but I think I just screwed up one of the settings Fly helped me with. I get full signal and when I had the static ip setup I was getting some amazing dl speeds. Speaking of which, lemme know when you get a min Fly :)

go with pci, had both and pci wins hands down

I need to just junk a few old file servers and get a NAS storage device. Probably the savings in power would pay for the device super quick. All I ever use at home anymore is a laptop and just dump files to the others for storing.

My 1tb nas spins down the drives after 30 minutes so it uses almost no power. Electric bill for keeping a 3000amd xp on for the sole purpose of storing files is why I went with a NAS.

It worked well with my old HTPC. I battled with the wireless on Thorn's laptop. I used two different USB (USR and D-Link), two different mini-PCI (broadcom and intel) and two different PCMCIA adapters (Linksys and Netgear). I also had three different wireless routers (Dlink, Belkin and 2Wire). All adapters, regardless of router, had issues except the Linkysys PCMCIA.

Get a PCI card with a corded antenna. Hawking makes some nice ones. Linksys adapters seems to work the best.