Windows XP frustration

Coqui

Piccolo Pete
Oct 14, 2004
Columbus, OH
Marklar
₥3,593
I have a domain PC I'm working on that when opening up applications, it takes approximatly 30-45 seconds to open up a file (for example, a text document on the Desktop)

I can get it to open up without issue if I disable the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service. However, if I disable this service, the login script that maps the user's drive does not activate and the user can't get his drive mappings. Can someone please help me fix this?

Here's what I've done already:
Re-installed the TCP/IP stack. Re-installed Windows XP Service Pack 3. Re-installed NIC. Install another NIC to rule out hardware. Cleared Netb, ran Network repair tool. Checked for spyware/malware. Cleaned up machine.

None of this resolved the issue.

NIC speed set properly?

yes

Same goes for it's port on the switch it connects to, unless you've tried different ports

Tried it in two different ports/cables/switches/VLANs

Virus software?

Running Symantec (I had no choice)

write a .bat file to map her drives and drop it in startup

That's a band-aid fix. I need something more permanent due to changes being made to the servers currently.

write a .bat file to map her drives and drop it in startup

this.

You also might have a corrupted messenger service, which uses the netbios helper. This can happen if a wonky MSN messenger install comes into play. I'd shut off messenger just to see if it improves performance. Netlogon also uses this, but losing the netlogon service when disabling the netbios helper is probably whats killing your login script.

Are you using Win2k3 servers for DNS?

Also, maybe run wireshark on the box, and get a scan of traffic hitting it when running netbios helper as opposed to when your not.

Finally, when all else fails, run Process Monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx with the service active, and inactive, and see if you can find the process that's causing it to hang.

Is "enable netbios over tcp/ip" set to enabled under the tcp/ip properties under the local area connection properties?

scratch that if the issue happens with files locally on the computer.
check the ide/sata controllers and make sure the drivers are installed properly. if it is an intel chipset, run the intel chipset driver installer to be sure latest drivers are installed. or go to the oem's site and download the chipset drivers.

does the event log have any errors shown under system or application?

Last edited:
this.

You also might have a corrupted messenger service, which uses the netbios helper. This can happen if a wonky MSN messenger install comes into play. I'd shut off messenger just to see if it improves performance. Netlogon also uses this, but losing the netlogon service when disabling the netbios helper is probably whats killing your login script.

Are you using Win2k3 servers for DNS?

Also, maybe run wireshark on the box, and get a scan of traffic hitting it when running netbios helper as opposed to when your not.

Finally, when all else fails, run Process Monitor http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx with the service active, and inactive, and see if you can find the process that's causing it to hang.

I've used Process Explorer before but not monitor. How can I filter through the information (there's a sh*t ton that comes out immediatly) Messenger service is disabled. I believe our DNS is 2k3.