Windows Vista Beta 2

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
So has anyone out there downloaded and tested Windows Vista Beta 2 yet? I downloaded it last week and I'm installing it (the 32 bit version) on a test computer right now. I'm going at it pretty blind and I don't have any idea what to expect. If anyone out there has any thoughts or opinions on the newest evil OS drop them in here, if not I'll post my thoughts about it soon after I get it installed.

haven't messed with it yet...isn't it full of DRM BS to keep you from using your computer in the manner we've all become accustomed?

why_ask_why said:
haven't messed with it yet...isn't it full of DRM BS to keep you from using your computer in the manner we've all become accustomed?

I dont know for sure yet, I am halfway through the installation and I am less than impressed with the setup program so far. More on your question after I get it installed. I have downloaded their ~250 page user guide though :rolleyes:

Drool-Boy said:
Yeah Ill wait it out for the horror stories about all the icky shit they put in it before I even consider using it.

QFT.

I'm only putting this on an idle, dummy machine in the office just to get a preview of what is to come. I would never put this crap on a machine that gets any kind of serious use.

ERage said:
QFT.

I'm only putting this on an idle, dummy machine in the office just to get a preview of what is to come. I would never put this crap on a machine that gets any kind of serious use.

rgr that
Ive already read about the complaint on the default security settings alone. By default you shits in massive lockdown mode or something. Plus Im betting its chock full of DRM-ridden-proprietary-read-only-cant-copy-or-move-or-your-shit-explodes file formats. Yay!

Drool-Boy said:
rgr that
Ive already read about the complaint on the default security settings alone. By default you shits in massive lockdown mode or something. Plus Im betting its chock full of DRM-ridden-proprietary-read-only-cant-copy-or-move-or-your-shit-explodes file formats. Yay!
Some of that security shit seems cool. Admin rights are no longer necessary for the average user. And programs that are installed only for one user go into the users OWN Program Files directory. Neat. :cool:

I pulled down the torrent from vistatorrent.com (thanks Chris Pirollo for helping where MS was afriad to use a torrent as the distro tool for a 3+ GB download).

I am trying to piece together a test rig at home to load it on - just to check it out. I haven't loaded a Longhorn beta in a long time so I am curious to see how Vista looks these days.

But no chance of loading this on any of my "production" machines at home or at work.

So far the only problems I've had is that the default security settings have annoyed the hell out of me. Every time you try to do ANYTHING, it greys out the screen except for 1 pop up message asking are you sure you want to run this. It asks this every time you run the program, no option to "remember this decision"

Also the drivers for my basic sound blaster live card sent the machine on the fritz, I had to recover it. Seems like they could check compatibility before installing the driver.

besides that it seems okay so far. I had to turn off the default security monitoring software because it would not allow me to use regsvr to register an .ocx file, even though I was logged in as an admin. after i turned it off everything worked fine.

Time to start installing applications, this should get interesting.

Edit:

Vista just told me that if I want to be a millionaire in Zimbabwe I need 9.8820577 USD.

Here's a screen cap if anyone is interested:
vistaDesktop.JPG

Last edited:
I'ts gonna take some getting used to for sure...i DONT like how the start menu stays as that little box you see in the spoiler, then when you go to something it overwrites what is seenw tih the new info. :-/

I thought it was bad going from win95 to win98 with the wizards, then it got worse going from 98/2000 to Windows XP with all the wizards..but gosh darn Vista has more wizards than world of warcraft!!! hahahaha

I installed the newest drivers from NVidia for my video cards..played quake 4 and it looked like the game was running in software mode, everything looked flat, shading was horrible, lighting was even worse. Tried playing BF2 and i kept getting dumped to a desktop :( i dont feel the OS is ready to be a public beta yet.