Windows Update

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
In my continuing endeavor to keep you all abreast of the latest windows updates, I thought I should let y'all know that there's a new one available for download. It's a Windows Genuine Advantage notification tool, that will make sure your copy of windows is genuine and help you get a licensed copy if it is not. Enjoy!

Welcome to 2006.

Seriously though, MS updates the validation pack every few months to keep ahead of the pirates. Arrrr. I don't particularly care, since I got a legit copy installed.

How is it annoying? It's a small update (less than 5MB if I recall) applied every few months. You should be installing the new security patches and updates every month anyway, so what's one more update to add to the mix a few times a year?

How is it annoying? It's a small update (less than 5MB if I recall) applied every few months. You should be installing the new security patches and updates every month anyway, so what's one more update to add to the mix a few times a year?

How many machines do you patch? I have a bunch, so it becomes me having to apply like 30 extra updates a year.

That's how it's annoying.

the last time windows updated on my computer it seriously borked. now the installer is borked and won't install a newer better version of the installer.

i have since switched to a mac :p

I have several customers with networks ranging from a few machines to 30 computers. WSUS ftw. Handles the Windows updates no problem. Less administration.

BTW, if I am not mistaken you can put in a WSUS rule to not approve the Windows Genuine Validation update if you wanted.

edit: The only updates that have screwed machines for me were installing driver updates through Windows Update. Microsoft seeming to think they know what driver should be installed. I hosed a machine with an ATI video card back in the day by letting Windows Update install the driver for the card.

Last edited:
I have several customers with networks ranging from a few machines to 30 computers. WSUS ftw. Handles the Windows updates no problem. Less administration.

BTW, if I am not mistaken you can put in a WSUS rule to not approve the Windows Genuine Validation update if you wanted.

edit: The only updates that have screwed machines for me were installing driver updates through Windows Update. Microsoft seeming to think they know what driver should be installed. I hosed a machine with an ATI video card back in the day by letting Windows Update install the driver for the card.

I love WSUS. I don't think i could have done updates any other way. If I had to do all of them manual I'd rip my hair out.

I love WSUS. I don't think i could have done updates any other way. If I had to do all of them manual I'd rip my hair out.

Totally. I recently deployed several WSUS servers for my customers and man it is sweet. Took a little while to figure out the GPO for the workstations to properly contact the WSUS server (have to use the port number of the server, doh!). But now that it is set up, I get an email weekly report of updates, logs for future reference, and pretty much let it handle itself from now on.