Will you please stop polluting?

FlamingGlory said:
No shit. It's hilarious when people think little things actually help. Even if it wasnt /us/ polluting we live right next to a third world country [Mexico]. I'm fair sure that their main goal is RECYCLING.

Speaking of recycling (which I do in any case), when the amount of energy used to recycle something is greater than the amount of energy created by recycling you are essentially digging a bigger hole. Simple physics. Yeah we just recycled a ton of garbage but it used 10kwH from the COAL GENERATION PLANT up the road. Hurr hurr

Also, what's the only recycled product that counts for anything? Asphault!!! Aside from being the #1 recycled product, it's the only product that is actually 'green' when it comes to energy use.
Sounds like we need to invest more in cleaner energy sources, rather than stop recycling. But until there is a demand for it, energy companies are going to stick with what works and what's profitable.

Pandora said:
Sounds like we need to invest more in cleaner energy sources, rather than stop recycling. But until there is a demand for it, energy companies are going to stick with what works and what's profitable.
There are no completely 'clean' sources of energy as yet.

HydroSqueegee said:
easier to wear a gas mask than to build your home on an old dump. But its tradeing one evil for another. The recycling of materials itself isnt the problem. Even manufacturing isnt that big of a deal compaired to transportation.

Cars, planes, trains, boats... between those, its horrible. I wish america was dense enough to allow for mass transit everywhere. I wish planes were for over seas travel only. Even locomotives had to become more green in the past couple years.
Incinerating things, is actually far more effective and clean than most people think. I believe that is how our local water treatment plant works [burning dried sludge for steam power].

If wishes were fishes :tard: It isnt, and as long as petroleum is still competitive there will be no free market alternative to it. If the minds of private industry were brought to bear on it I'm sure that the problem would be solved shortly, but it simply isnt profitable at the moment.

Pandora said:
I said "cleaner" fgt. :p
Make it profitable. :p

Also population problem could be easily solved by cutting off welfare. The middle class is getting smaller...

dbzeag said:
I couldn't breathe when I was in India. Bangalore is so polluted people wear hankerchiefs on their faces on the commutes. Technically, the UN declared India a "developing" country, so it gives industry in India the green light to pollute all they want. I got a nose bleed from breathing that air for 2 weeks. My thread title was targeted at the generic audience, not just this forum, but India, China, Mexico, US government, Europe, everyone.

breathing the air in mexico city is supposed to be the equivalent of smoking 2 packs of cigs a day

dbzeag said:
I don't use pesticides as I don't have a garden or lawn. I buy organic minimally processed foods. I do not compost but only because we have no way of doing so in my building. I do not buy as much green as I should. I do buy cleaning solvents that are biodegradable. My showers are never more than 10 mins and we have a low flow head. Wash clothes with almost too full a load, same with dishes. I do flush every time I pee, because it stains teh toilet otherwise (low flow toilet, too). I drive a Mazda Protege and last tank got me 34 mpg. Our appliances are Energy star rated, including our computer monitors. I do not compact the bulbs. We do not have a facility to recycle in Cleveland. I shop at Trader Joes and once a week farmer's market. I do not actively support conservation initiatives.

So do I get a passing grade?

1. I don't use garden or lawn pesticides, but I go through a lot of Raid ant, roach and wasp sprays;
2. I buy organic milk, but otherwise don't care;
3. I don't compost because....why would I?;
4. My cleaning solvents are...I have no idea. I just buy shit to clean with;
5. I wash clothes when I have a full load;
6. I wash dishes when I have a full load;
7. I shower for about 45 minutes because hot water kicks SO MUCH ass in the morning when I'm tired and because I don't care about water conservation. Water never leaves the planet, so how is it being wasted? It's guaranteed to come back for Christ's sake;
8. I flush everytime I pee, because leaving piss in the bowl is disgusting;
9. I drive an Integra that gets about 32 mpg hwy;
10. Most of my appliances are Energy Star;
11. I never leave the AC on when I'm at work. I turn it on right before bed and turn it off when I get up. On the weekends I use it if I feel like it;
12. My townhome complex doesn't have a recycling program, which bugs the shit out of me. I do love recycling and fully advocate it;
13. I don't care if other people think I'm green or not.

why_ask_why said:
windmills
Wind mills efficient enough to generate power are made from... Yes what's that? ALUMINIUM. Aluminium is made through the Hall-Heroult process where it is extracted from minerals in a toxic bath subjected to eletricity making carbon dioxide float away! Aside from this is the visual impact on the landscape and the number of windmills needed to generate a noteworthy amount of electricity interferes with bird migration!

Thank you and try again.

I run the dishwasher whenever, I like the noise

AC stays on most of the day, I'm not made for temperatures above 70

I whiz outside

I love pesticides for flying insects, and would use DDT if I could get some

I recycle some stuff

I buy stuff where it's convenient unless I'm after something that's only at a farmers market

My car gets driven ~30,000 miles a year

But my bike gets 50mpg

itburnswhenipee said:
and waterwheels
I'm sure you mean hydroelectric generation. The cleanest available source of energy but nonetheless destructive of upstream wildlife habitat. An interesting note is the that by comparision the SE US has very little hydroelectric capacity (over 75% served by coal and fossil fuel) compared to the rest of the US. US capacity is only exceeded by Canada with a generating capacity of 341,312 GWh (US 319,484 GWh).

FlamingGlory said:
Wind mills efficient enough to generate power are made from... Yes what's that? ALUMINIUM. Aluminium is made through the Hall-Heroult process where it is extracted from minerals in a toxic bath subjected to eletricity making carbon dioxide float away! Aside from this is the visual impact on the landscape and the number of windmills needed to generate a noteworthy amount of electricity interferes with bird migration!

Thank you and try again.

:rolleyes:
people need forks to eat with but that likely fucks the environment somehow as well
is there ANYTHING that can be created that has 0 impact on something else?

no birds out here chief :p
windmillsatsea_208x304.jpg

Sarcasmo said:
1. I don't use garden or lawn pesticides, but I go through a lot of Raid ant, roach and wasp sprays;
2. I buy organic milk, but otherwise don't care;
3. I don't compost because....why would I?;
4. My cleaning solvents are...I have no idea. I just buy shit to clean with;
5. I wash clothes when I have a full load;
6. I wash dishes when I have a full load;
7. I shower for about 45 minutes because hot water kicks SO MUCH ass in the morning when I'm tired and because I don't care about water conservation. Water never leaves the planet, so how is it being wasted? It's guaranteed to come back for Christ's sake;
8. I flush everytime I pee, because leaving piss in the bowl is disgusting;
9. I drive an Integra that gets about 32 mpg hwy;
10. Most of my appliances are Energy Star;
11. I never leave the AC on when I'm at work. I turn it on right before bed and turn it off when I get up. On the weekends I use it if I feel like it;
12. My townhome complex doesn't have a recycling program, which bugs the shit out of me. I do love recycling and fully advocate it;
13. I don't care if other people think I'm green or not.
14. I use 18oz of styling product in my hair each morning, then use it to fap with at night as a method of recycling.

fixt

why_ask_why said:
:rolleyes:
people need forks to eat with but that likely fucks the environment somehow as well
is there ANYTHING that can be created that has 0 impact on something else?

no birds out here chief :p
windmillsatsea_208x304.jpg
Verily anything you can think of I can point how it effects the enviroment. Which is why I think of green nutz as eviroMENTAL. How long do you think it would take before PETA started bitching about poor widdle birds flying into towers.

That would be Denmark. Which has almost no generation capacity of it's own. Windmills make sense, although offshore ones tend to cost more to keep running than the amount of electricity they generate. I think 15% of their energy is Wind generated, the rest is imported. National geographic ran an article on them awhile ago. They have nowhere near the energy consumption of the US ie., each windmill at best generates 2MW...