Will you please stop polluting?

We've had a storm move in last night and it's currently only 63 here. Last night was the first night in a month that I have been comfortable (tempature wise) while sleeping. As far as A/C goes, it's on pretty much all the time. I do keep it on 80 though and turn it up to about 86/88 at night (and yes, the stupid thing still kicks on a few times a night). We also use lots of fans that are on constantly.

Pandora said:
Do you buy green? What type of cleaning products and pesticides do you use? Do you compost? How long are your showers? When you wash clothes/dishes do you only run full loads? Do you flush the toilet every time you pee? What type of car do you drive? Do you have Energy Star appliences? Do you use compact florecence or regular bulbs? Do you recycle? Do you support conservation iniatives in your area? Do you shop at farmers markets or at the food mall?
I don't use pesticides as I don't have a garden or lawn. I buy organic minimally processed foods. I do not compost but only because we have no way of doing so in my building. I do not buy as much green as I should. I do buy cleaning solvents that are biodegradable. My showers are never more than 10 mins and we have a low flow head. Wash clothes with almost too full a load, same with dishes. I do flush every time I pee, because it stains teh toilet otherwise (low flow toilet, too). I drive a Mazda Protege and last tank got me 34 mpg. Our appliances are Energy star rated, including our computer monitors. I do not compact the bulbs. We do not have a facility to recycle in Cleveland. I shop at Trader Joes and once a week farmer's market. I do not actively support conservation initiatives.

So do I get a passing grade?

ChikkenNoodul said:
I'm just trying to warm up the ocean around here, was still only 43 degrees 100ft down last weekend
Lake Erie coast is up to over 82F

dbzeag said:
I don't use pesticides as I don't have a garden or lawn. I buy organic minimally processed foods. I do not compost but only because we have no way of doing so in my building. I do not buy as much green as I should. I do buy cleaning solvents that are biodegradable. My showers are never more than 10 mins and we have a low flow head. Wash clothes with almost too full a load, same with dishes. I do flush every time I pee, because it stains teh toilet otherwise (low flow toilet, too). I drive a Mazda Protege and last tank got me 34 mpg. Our appliances are Energy star rated, including our computer monitors. I do not compact the bulbs. We do not have a facility to recycle in Cleveland. I shop at Trader Joes and once a week farmer's market. I do not actively support conservation initiatives.

So do I get a passing grade?

You definatly pass. :heart: :heart:

My chem professor in undergrad was so much into conservation, he would have only two bags of trash a YEAR between him and his two daughters. Between recycling, reusing, and composting, the rest was just a small amount of trash.

Just amazing.

I guess people don't realize that regardless of what we the people do to lower pollution it will only be a drop in the bucket since the single largest polluter on the planet is the United States government itself. Uncle Sam doesn't have to comply to a single EPA regulation it enforces (or rather pretends to enforce considering the damn "pollution credit" system that pretty much negates the whole point of the fucking EPA).

FlyNavy said:
I guess people don't realize that regardless of what we the people do to lower pollution it will only be a drop in the bucket since the single largest polluter on the planet is the United States government itself. Uncle Sam doesn't have to comply to a single EPA regulation it enforces (or rather pretends to enforce considering the damn "pollution credit" system that pretty much negates the whole point of the fucking EPA).
No shit. It's hilarious when people think little things actually help. Even if it wasnt /us/ polluting we live right next to a third world country [Mexico]. I'm fair sure that their main goal is RECYCLING.

Speaking of recycling (which I do in any case), when the amount of energy used to recycle something is greater than the amount of energy created by recycling you are essentially digging a bigger hole. Simple physics. Yeah we just recycled a ton of garbage but it used 10kwH from the COAL GENERATION PLANT up the road. Hurr hurr

Also, what's the only recycled product that counts for anything? Asphault!!! Aside from being the #1 recycled product, it's the only product that is actually 'green' when it comes to energy use.

I couldn't breathe when I was in India. Bangalore is so polluted people wear hankerchiefs on their faces on the commutes. Technically, the UN declared India a "developing" country, so it gives industry in India the green light to pollute all they want. I got a nose bleed from breathing that air for 2 weeks. My thread title was targeted at the generic audience, not just this forum, but India, China, Mexico, US government, Europe, everyone.

FlamingGlory said:
No shit. It's hilarious when people think little things actually help. Even if it wasnt /us/ polluting we live right next to a third world country [Mexico]. I'm fair sure that their main goal is RECYCLING.

Speaking of recycling (which I do in any case), when the amount of energy used to recycle something is greater than the amount of energy created by recycling you are essentially digging a bigger hole. Simple physics. Yeah we just recycled a ton of garbage but it used 10kwH from the COAL GENERATION PLANT up the road. Hurr hurr

Also, what's the only recycled product that counts for anything? Asphault!!! Aside from being the #1 recycled product, it's the only product that is actually 'green' when it comes to energy use.

recycling is more about not throwing stuff into landfills than energy consumption.

HydroSqueegee said:
recycling is more about not throwing stuff into landfills than energy consumption.
...Yes, we'll save the landfills, by making the air unbreathable.

FlyNavy said:

I'm sure you're right but we CAN NOT continue to waste resources as we have in the past, especially as our populations continue to grow. My conscience is clear because I know I'm doing everything I know to do to be a part of the solution. From where I shop to the food I buy. I even make the effort to learn more things that I can do. Because face it, everyone can do more. Wither you believe in global warming or not, polluting the environment and wasting non-renewable resources is not a good thing. By using the excuse 'I don't make a difference', one only lends their energy to the problem.

dbzeag said:
I couldn't breathe when I was in India. Bangalore is so polluted people wear hankerchiefs on their faces on the commutes. Technically, the UN declared India a "developing" country, so it gives industry in India the green light to pollute all they want. I got a nose bleed from breathing that air for 2 weeks. My thread title was targeted at the generic audience, not just this forum, but India, China, Mexico, US government, Europe, everyone.
Guy i worked with at my old job went there to train our replacements. When he got back a month later, he told us all about the horrors that is Bangalore. No AC in buildings. Confined in tight, smelly lifts with the natives. But he did live like a king on the cheep.

FlamingGlory said:
...Yes, we'll save the landfills, by making the air unbreathable.

easier to wear a gas mask than to build your home on an old dump. But its tradeing one evil for another. The recycling of materials itself isnt the problem. Even manufacturing isnt that big of a deal compaired to transportation.

Cars, planes, trains, boats... between those, its horrible. I wish america was dense enough to allow for mass transit everywhere. I wish planes were for over seas travel only. Even locomotives had to become more green in the past couple years.