Why my bank holiday was ruined

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Clam whisperer
Oct 15, 2004
Robin Hood Country
Marklar
₥14,371
So yesterday morning I woke up and went on facebook to see a link to this news story:

Police hold 114 in power protest

The 114 people were arrested at a school in the Sneinton Dale area
More than 100 people have been arrested in Nottingham over a suspected plan to target a power station.

Police said 114 men and women were arrested in Sneinton Dale on suspicion of conspiracy to commit aggravated trespass and criminal damage.

Officers said they believed those arrested were planning to protest at nearby Ratcliffe-on-Soar power station.

Police said equipment including bolt-cutters was found and they feared a threat to the safety of the site.

A police spokesman said it was thought there was a "serious threat" to the coal-fired power station, which is eight miles south-west of Nottingham.

More than 200 police officers from Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Staffordshire and British Transport Police were involved in the arrests at the Iona School.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/7996394.stm

I was a bit worried when I read it all, because a lot of my friends are involved in groups like this, and a lot live in Sneinton. I wanted to go out drinking because yesterday was a national day off work, but nobodys phones were switched on. All my friends got busted, for something they hadn't even done.

I would join in with actions like this, except I hate banner waving and I'm not sure that having a criminal record would help my longterm plan of becoming a teacher. Any of you guys ever been arrested for being on a march or anything similar?

that's crazy, especially about your computer and papers...how creepy. :eek: i hope things turn out well for your friends, and i think it's wise to stay away from stuff that can mark your future.

It hard to troll you when you dont play along :(

They did break in in April 2007 though apparently. Chained themselves to machinery. You know what that does to you insurance? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/nottinghamshire/6541105.stm

Especially if some fruity nut goes and gets themselves killed.

What do you mean insurance? All they did in 2007 (there was about 8 of them) was get into the power station and stag en 8 hour lock on or so, which just means they were chained to the site. Big fucking deal.

that's crazy, especially about your computer and papers...how creepy. :eek: i hope things turn out well for your friends, and i think it's wise to stay away from stuff that can mark your future.

I'm sure they'll get away with nothing at all, most of them have a record as long as their arms for aggravated trespass etc. to do with activism. It probably is wise, but I do think that if you commit a 'crime' for a just reason then it shouldn't count against you in the future. Why should protesting about something you believe in mean you can't get jobs etc?

What do you mean insurance? All they did in 2007 (there was about 8 of them) was get into the power station and stag en 8 hour lock on or so, which just means they were chained to the site. Big fucking deal.
Power plants have insurance o_O Just owning a house. Stores have insurance, manufacturing plants have insurance. It's a business expense, and usually required by law.

It is annoying at least, could threaten power production at most. Less generating capacity means higher prices. Higher prices for power mean that other parts of the economy have to shell out more for manufacturing capacity, lights, operating expense, means they charge more for their services, the larger picture effect is that everything costs more. Which could create a deflationary economic effect, which could mean government destabilization. Which could comprimise external stability.

All of which leads to zombie apocalypse, brought on by goddamn hippies.

Of course not very likely it would happen. Because protesters always lose. Which is the only thing that keeps the world as they know it on its feet.

Power plants have insurance o_O Just owning a house. Stores have insurance, manufacturing plants have insurance. It's a business expense, and usually required by law.

It is annoying at least, could threaten power production at most. Less generating capacity means higher prices. Higher prices for power mean that other parts of the economy have to shell out more for manufacturing capacity, lights, operating expense, means they charge more for their services, the larger picture effect is that everything costs more. Which could create a deflationary economic effect, which could mean government destabilization. Which could comprimise external stability.

All of which leads to zombie apocalypse, brought on by goddamn hippies.

Of course not very likely it would happen. Because protesters always lose. Which is the only thing that keeps the world as they know it on its feet.

Well the entire point is to threaten power production, derrrrr. Not producing power = less emissions = mission accomplished. And if you knew the first thing about the power industry and how they generate power, how it is costed etc (like I do considering my partner works for an energy company) then you'd know that stopping production for 12 hours does not affect price in the slightest. And quite frankly we're not talking apocolyptic conclusions such as stopping a power plant indefinately, 24 hours would be a huge achievement and would save a lot of CO2 emissions in just that one day.

Protesters don't always lose either darlin.

Always lose. Otherwise there'd be no power plants running anywhere. Consequently no electricity.

So the end goal is no electricity. That sounds grand.

Either way. My dad is an electrical engineer. Oooooo, we both have small connections to the power industry. It hardly qualifies you to have an expert opinion on it. The basic fact is, if the portestors have their way, there'd be no power. Because you can argue environmental effects all the way back to the point that any human impact on the environment is negative and everyone should off themselves.

The more reasonable thing is that people dont think things through and the comfortable lifestyles they enjoy are the product of a massive amount of industrialization in the western world.

Also, it;s basic human nature to cling to some sort of reason for sitting round smoking weed all day.

And how much extra cost would it be if there was no power Zach? That isn't hard to work out.

And once again you don't seem to understand. The end goal is not no electricity dumdum, it's electricity by sustainable means, not a coal powered station. The point is to highlight the extensive CO2 emissions that such a power plant produces, how much CO2 emissions do the huge solar panelled fields in Spain produce? How much CO2 does a wind turbine produce?

:rolleyes:

The more reasonable thing is that people dont think things through and the comfortable lifestyles they enjoy are the product of a massive amount of industrialization in the western world.

Also, it;s basic human nature to cling to some sort of reason for sitting round smoking weed all day.

Great generalisation, you're making yourself look stupid for once. How about all the protesters who own their own businesses, who are soliticitors, who are council workers, who have very productive lives? In fact I can't really think of anybody I know who is active politically and smokes weed all day long, or very much at all. Thanks

Green power sounds great, until I get my bill. Coal is horrible, but cheap. The 1st world nations are slowly moving to green power, but its expensive and therefore will take time.

And let me guess, these hippies don't want nuclear power either, right?