Why is SCSI so slow?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
So we are wrestling with this at work. Our Dell server machines running with SCSI 15K rpm drives are slower to boot, slower to take disk images (this is before any OS interaction), slower to copy files, slower to shut down, and make more heat and noise than the SATA servers we are running.

Could someone tell me why SCSI sucks so badly when compared even to IDE let alone to SATA?

Because someone configured everything inmproperly.

That must be true, but how? I mean what is there to configure and tweak when you are running non-RAID drives and running bootable media into a non-Windows application?

I know there are Windows drivers and such if you are going to be running within an OS, but we are seeing piss-poor performance even before the Windows splash screen.

Intel 82945G Express Chipset Family FTW!

the dell desktops (optiplex gx620) we have here are really decent. I was surprised.

i just got done specing and pricing new laptops and desktops for the next purchase cycle. The HP's were the cheapest and i hope to god they do not buy them.

We have 8 zillion HP DL series servers. We swear by them on the enterprise level and they've been treating us well for many years.

We have 8 zillion HP DL series servers. We swear by them on the enterprise level and they've been treating us well for many years.

We have M Prolient machines because that's what the German market uses ("home" of HP don't you know) so we have to test our stuff on them.

Needless to say, our company only recommends Dells now. :fly: