Why aren't more people up in arms about this?

S

smileynev

theacoustician said:
Because its going to be your driver's license.

I can choose to not have a drivers license and still live a decent life. If I choose not to get one of these, I can't travel, open a checking account, or kill infidels.

Because using a Social Security number or driver's license for identification purposes is getting retarded. I shouldn't need a Social Security number to get a bank account (it's supposed to be only for Social Security), and I shouldn't have to use my driver's license to get into a bar (what if I don't drive).

Sure it's creepy to think that we have to get "ze papers" but it's seriously long overdue.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0512/p09s02-coop.html

This made me change my mind a bit.

kiwi said:
That is pretty ridiculous.
It's going to be your driver's license with an RFID tag embedded in it. Its going to be the same info that most states already collect on you. They're just going to share it in a nation database now. Its really a non-issue. You already have to show state issued ID to open a bank account or get on a plane. So what?

theacoustician said:
It's going to be your driver's license with an RFID tag embedded in it. Its going to be the same info that most states already collect on you. They're just going to share it in a nation database now. Its really a non-issue. You already have to show state issued ID to open a bank account or get on a plane. So what?

I at least feel a little more comfortable with a state issued id card then a federal one. I also don't like the idea of a little radio transmitter in the card, either.

DirkPhoenix said:
Because using a Social Security number or driver's license for identification purposes is getting retarded. I shouldn't need a Social Security number to get a bank account (it's supposed to be only for Social Security), and I shouldn't have to use my driver's license to get into a bar (what if I don't drive).

Sure it's creepy to think that we have to get "ze papers" but it's seriously long overdue.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0512/p09s02-coop.html

This made me change my mind a bit.
The author of that article uses a communist country as an example, doesn't bode well with me.

And he's from Seattle, liberal dogfellating hippie heaven.

"Excuse me sir, can I see your ID card?"

"Yeah, hold on....Whoops, must have left it in my other pants"

"We're taking you in, Juan"

smileynev said:
I at least feel a little more comfortable with a state issued id card then a federal one. I also don't like the idea of a little radio transmitter in the card, either.
It will still be state issued, its just going to tie back to a national database. And they were going to put RFID's in DL's sooner than later anyways.

This is really a non-issue

theacoustician said:
It will still be state issued, its just going to tie back to a national database. And they were going to put RFID's in DL's sooner than later anyways.

This is really a non-issue

If you don't mind the government encroaching on our personal freedoms, sure.

DirkPhoenix said:
Hong Kong used to be part of Britain, right? So if he was there for 16 years, then the Hong Kong ID system was in place during that time.

Or am I thinking of Canada?

Britain is Communist.

theacoustician said:
They aren't doing anything they aren't already doing. Where is the problem?

Requiring a federally mandated identification to do certain things is new to me.