Why are you married?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So in "watching" the updates on the Prop 8 case, an interesting point was brought up. Why are you married?

For those of you that are, what made you decide to get married? Was it financial security? Procreative purposes? Because your parent's did it and it is a rite of passage? Out of love and mutual respect for your respective partner?

Please do not bring up same sex marriage in this thread, this is not the purpose.

Ability to stay with family. The fact that the US could force me away from my child is disgusting, but unfortunately that will never change.

You brought it up in your first sentence.

But point of the question and the reasoning within the case had nothing to do with same sex marriage, but more universally the purpose of marriage. The judge himself is making a case that CA should be out of the marriage business to begin with, naming any civilly registered and recognized relationships as domestic partners and to leave "marriage" a Christian sacrament with no civil liberties.

I'd like to hear the answers too--what are the compelling reasons besides a way to show complete commitment to another person (even then people get divorced :waw:)

didn't we just have this question recently?

I loosely asked the question in my gay marriage thread, but I didn't get any response. The court case today brought it up as a major sticking point so I thought I would bring it up more formally for everyone to answer.

But point of the question and the reasoning within the case had nothing to do with same sex marriage, but more universally the purpose of marriage. The judge himself is making a case that CA should be out of the marriage business to begin with, naming any civilly registered and recognized relationships as domestic partners and to leave "marriage" a Christian sacrament with no civil liberties.
Marriage is hugely religious for most people. Therefore, I think the state shouldn't have their hands in that pot. If insurances only wants to cover certain people make it only people in your household; who cares if you're married or not.