Pics Who's still listening to vinyl? Showoff your gear!

someone else

Half-staff Member
Oct 28, 2012
MA
Marklar
₥0
So I finally got my receiver set up after a long hiatus. I moved about a year and a half ago, and it's been sitting around since. I haven't really had room without getting rid of a few things and cleaning up. Finally got it all together:

Pioneer SX-535
Pioneer CS-88's
Aiwa automatic turntable

The Aiwa is a fairly shitty turntable. OK sound quality, but its barebones - just something to play the music on for the moment. I needed to get a new stylus for it recently, as the tape holding the swing arm down during moving became sticky-less, letting the arm swing around and the stylus committed suicide. Plus, it also has a pretty shitty built in pre-amp. I'll be replacing that after christmas. I also hook my 42inch Bravia up to it, so it'll be nice to get the turntable into the phono input, so I don't have to plug and unplug the RCA's for the TV.

Here is the receiver and the turnable. The SX-535 is a nice little receiver - doesn't put out a shit load of power, only 22 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, but it has great sound quality. The tuner pulls in stations like a fucking magnet too. 74-75 vintage.

The pair of Pioneer CS-88's. Fantastic speakers - built like bricks. They're probably 50lbs+ each. 12" woofer, 2x 5.25" mid range drivers, 2x 3.25" tweeters and a 3"x5" horn. 60 watts RMS @ 8 ohms max power. I've got them positioned under my electronics workbench. I'll eventually pull them apart and replace all the capacitors in the crossover, as these are late 60s/early 70s vintage and the old electrolytic and polypropylene caps are probably on their last legs. I'll start a post later when I get my bench finished and I'll show you what I'm working on. You can see a couple of old radios up there at the moment.

and the box of most of my records. A bunch of original beatles, zeppelin, sabbath etc. Of course, I have some new stuff too. I'll be back on the hunt for some new vinyl once Christmas passes.

So that's my little setup. The plan right now is to run some speaker wire and mount a couple of speakers in my workshop. I can run the second set of speakers concurrently with the CS-88's or just one or the other. Eventually, somewhere down the line, i'll either restore or build my own tube amp.

Last edited:
I don't even know where to start. I use a pair of 1210's hooked into a Sharp 7700 amp ( 326W per side RMS,one of only 60 ever built) then into a pair of handbuilt 15" subs (350W) with 4 mid/high cabs making up 8x75W mids and 4x 30w tweeters.

I have some vinyl still but I got rid of all the ancient equipment and got a nice record player that plugs into a USB port. It works for my needs and takes up little space. That receiver looks exactly like the one we had back in the 70's at my house.

Nothing special. Sony turntable with usb which I only used a few times before I got the receiver. Onkyo with 5.1, 130W per channel, and 10" 120W sub. I'm not really an audiophile but the set up may be a bit much for my little bedroom. Not complaining though. the automatic functions on the table are kinda crappy. I'd like to grab something old school one day.

228Ki.jpeg

Sbl0e.jpeg

Probably more than 4/5 of my vinyl collection there. Majority of those are modern. Some ELO, foreigner, eagles, Styx, pink Floyd... to name a few, oh and Thriller. Bunch of oldies and classical are stuck at my parent's house.

I have a jap math-rock ep, a post-hard core lp, and 2 post-rock lps coming in the mail right now. Can't waits

edit: this phone used to take pretty pics.... guess i've dropped it to many times.

Last edited:
Nothing special. Sony turntable with usb which I only used a few times before I got the receiver. Onkyo with 5.1, 130W per channel, and 10" 120W sub. I'm not really an audiophile but the set up may be a bit much for my little bedroom. Not complaining though. the automatic functions on the table are kinda crappy. I'd like to grab something old school one day.

228Ki.jpeg

Sbl0e.jpeg

Probably more than 4/5 of my vinyl collection there. Majority of those are modern. Some ELO, foreigner, eagles, Styx, pink Floyd... to name a few, oh and Thriller. Bunch of oldies and classical are stuck at my parent's house.

I have a jap math-rock ep, a post-hard core lp, and 2 post-rock lps coming in the mail right now. Can't waits

edit: this phone used to take pretty pics.... guess i've dropped it to many times.
...and where is your jesus music vinyl??

several of my friends have vinyl, and while i've always loved it, i've never had the fever...until recently. now i'm kinda thinkin' i want to start (continue) my collection. my previous collection is from childhood and still at my parents' house.

All of my vinyl is old. I even have some Victrola records. They aren't even really vinyl I don't think because they are hard and not floppy like 33's. I sold most of my collection a few years back because I didn't listen to a lot of it and it takes up space. I think I only have one copy paper box full now. I used to have like 20. I guess I could have dj'd in an old people's home.

several of my friends have vinyl, and while i've always loved it, i've never had the fever...until recently. now i'm kinda thinkin' i want to start (continue) my collection. my previous collection is from childhood and still at my parents' house.

There isn't a better time then now. You can get vintage gear pretty cheap, and from there the sky is the limit. Its my opinion that vinyl just sounds better. vinyl, it seems, is back on the upswing, so getting in now you might be able to get a good deal on some gear before the hipster crowd totally blows it out of proportion again.

There isn't a better time then now. You can get vintage gear pretty cheap, and from there the sky is the limit. Its my opinion that vinyl just sounds better. vinyl, it seems, is back on the upswing, so getting in now you might be able to get a good deal on some gear before the hipster crowd totally blows it out of proportion again.

it does sound so much better...it's like 3D music or something. i LOVE the texture it seems to present. it's just rich, thick, almost touchable music. it's delicious, and i'm always jonesin' for music.

that's a good point about gettin' to stuff now. i just don't know what to look for, and it's not like i have a lotta money, either. :/