Ontopic Who's Nicer: The Religious or Atheists?

Didn't mean in that sense. I meant that your country is associated with the Church of England. The US on the other hand has a separation between church and state and contrary to what many will have you believe, the US was not founded as a Christian nation. Not sure about England being founded as a christian nation. That was a bloody long time ago..

You don't think the US was founded by Athiests do you? They weren't the speaking in tongues screaming in the aisles freaky deaky bible thumpers of today but they were most certainly God fearing people.

Didn't mean in that sense. I meant that your country is associated with the Church of England. The US on the other hand has a separation between church and state and contrary to what many will have you believe, the US was not founded as a Christian nation. Not sure about England being founded as a christian nation. That was a bloody long time ago..

Well I don't know about founding, we've been through a lot in our long history but when monarchs used to rule of course it was religious hence why the CoE was invented in the first place. These days religion doesn't wash well with government but that's mainly a reaction to the secularisation of the society I rekcon.

You don't think the US was founded by Athiests do you? They weren't the speaking in tongues screaming in the aisles freaky deaky bible thumpers of today but they were most certainly God fearing people.

Your founding fathers (Franklin in particular iirc) abhorred state + religion. He said that speaking as a Christian God should have nothing to do with state and that God was the worst thing to happen to the world.

Something along those lines.

You should watch the documentary Religulous (sp?)..it's a great watch.

ugh........

Yes, the people that founded this country may have believed in a higher power.... But they did not found this country AS A CHRISTIAN NATION.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Tripoli.htm

what's the deal with tons of religious people being gun owners anyway?

Because they live in constant fear?

rimshot.gif

Your founding fathers (Franklin in particular iirc) abhorred state + religion.
No. People need to stop saying "the founding fathers" this and that. They did not all share the same opinions on things. Franklin had his beliefs but they didn't necessarily jive with Madison's or Jefferson's or Miflin's or Livingston's or Paca's. Some vehemently disagreed with the establishment clause and only acquiesced in order to gain other concessions.
He said that speaking as a Christian God should have nothing to do with state and that God was the worst thing to happen to the world.
Sauce that quote.
Something along those lines.

You should watch the documentary Religulous (sp?)..it's a great watch.
Maher is funny but he's a bigger dickbag than most bible thumpers.

I wouldn't call him a bible thumper, I'd call him someone that states facts and scriptures and rightly (or wrongly w/e I'm not here to offend people) laughs at them.

i didn't call him a bible thumper, I said he's a bigger dickbag than bible thumpers

I like laughing at religious ideals too but maher is one step away from dawkins, one of the biggest douchebags on the planet