Whos for dinner?

Orange Scented Moroccan Beef (Mrouzia) with Caramelized Onions and Raisins Over Couscous

1 large onion
1 or 2 lbs of cubbed beef (buy whatever is cheapest...cut doesn't matter)
Raisins (about three kid size boxes or so) and any kind of chopped roasted nuts (handful)
Honey
Concentrated OJ (I cook A LOT with this. cheap juice year round, too)
Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamon, Tumeric (around 1 tsp each)
1-2 cups of leftover gravy or canned/packaged gravy

Fry onion in BUTTER (not oil) on med. heat until caramelized. You can add a little sugar to speed up the process.

Add another knob of butter, turn the heat on high, and sear the cubbed beef for one minute. Add spices. Cook another minute. Throw in gravy and cook for five minutes. Add OJ and honey to taste (add any more spices if you need to).

Finish off with raisins and nuts.

Serve over box couscous.

Tibetan Beef Noodle Soup

1 lb. Sliced beef
cabbage julienned (finely shredded. you can use as garnish OR cook it in with the stew)
1 yellow onion diced
1 can tomatoes (I buy the jalapeño flavored ones)
small handful of minced ginger
1/4 cp. lemon juice
salt
pepper (to taste)
soy sauce
beef stock or bullion
Thick noodles (udon, linguini, etc)
Tumeric, Red Pepper Powder, Garlic Salt (2 tsp each)

Fry onions with spices in oil or butter. Turn up heat and fry beef in spices. Add bullion, tomotoes (and juice), cabbage (if cooking them in, if not then reserve) and ginger. Reduce. Add noodles. Serve with soy sauce. NOTE: if you want the grated cabbage garnish, then before you cook the stew, shred cabbage and add lemon juice, salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Put this in the fridge and serve as a topping later.

Apple Glazed Salmon over Mustard Cream Rice with Garlic Almond Green Beans

This one I did in stages.

Salmon Fillets
handful of flour
ginger powder
salt and pepper

Coat fillets in flour, powder, s and p. Fry in butter.

1/2 apple diced
1/2 tbsp butter (not oil)
1/2 cp. apple juice
1/2 cp. white sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon

Sautee apple in butter until soft and light brown. Add sugar, apple juice and cinnamon. Cook until it is like a thick syrup or apple sauce. Coat finished salmon in the sauce.

Cooked rice
Heavy Cream or Sour cream
Mushrooms (button or canned are fine, but drain liquid if canned)
salt/pepper to taste
butter
beef bullion powder or a little leftover gravy

Fry mushrooms in butter. Add the gravy or bullion with the heavy or sour cream until its saucy and has a hearty taste. Finish with cooked rice. It should be a paste like risotto.

Garlic almond green beans

1 bag green beans (note: Birdseye "steamfresh" is bullshit. the regular bags of frozen veg are the same damn thing)
handful of roasted almonds
minced garlic
oil or butter

cook garlic on med. heat in fat. Toss in microwaved green beans. Coat in garlic sauce. Top with almonds. EASY!

Shrimp Ceviche

1 lb. RAW seafood (I like to use cheap bay shrimp but tilapia works too. don't use catfish its disgusting)
Red Onion, Mango, Avocado, small diced (amounts vary depending on your personal taste)
chopped Cilantro
Lemon and Lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
salt, pepper and sugar to taste
Steamed Corn Tortillas

Mix fruits/veg with a dash of salt and pepper. Add lemon and lime juice (1 part lemon to 3 parts lime or all lime) and oil into the bowl until its litely coated like salad dressing. Add raw seafood and cilantro. Keep in the fridge for at least 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes or so.

The acid in the juice cooks the seafood.

Add salt, pepper and sugar to taste. Serve with microwaved corn tortillas or tortilla chips

Mexican Cheese Dip Night
Spinach-Queso Dip: 1 box of frozen spinach thawed and microwaved with jack cheese NOT PEPPER JACK and a little milk to soup it up
Peach Salsa and Cream Cheese Dip: any can of salsa + finely chopped pineapple (canned is fine, drain and rinse) + cream cheese softened in microwave
Bean and Pepper Jack Cheese Dip: 1 can of refried beans + 3 slices of PEPPER jack cheese

NOTE ON CHEESE: Mexican queso dip is just jack cheese thinned down with butter and milk. buy the JACK CHEESE in the conventional groccery, not the hispanic. It's cheaper.

Teriyaki Roasted Chicken with Thai Green Curry Scented Mashed Potatoes and Pineapple-Red Onion Relish

1 Roaster chicken
1 cp. teriyaki
4 tbsp butter or margarine
2 tbsp five spice powder
dash of Salt and Pepper

Rub chicken in 2 tsbp. butter and spices. Coat pan with remaining butter. Make sure to keep neck and innards in the pan...this makes GREAT gravy. Roast in oven according to package directions. With five minutes left, turn over on to broil and broil chicken to make it crisp.

Take chicken out and pour teriyaki over chicken and into pan. ladle pan sauce onto chicken. Cover and serve after a few minutes.

Thai Green Curry Paste
Mashed Potatoes (whatever recipe you like)

Cook mashed potatoes. Add 1 tbsp of paste to a little water, milk, or some reserved mashed potatoes and work into finished potatoes. It should be lightly scented, not heavy curry.

Relish:

1 part red onion (finely minced) to 4 parts pineapple (canned is fine)
minced cilantro
lemon and lime juice
red chili powder

same idea as ceviche. See above. I find a little chili powder gives it a pretty color and a nice kick.

Serve chicken over potatoes and top with relish.

Fried Almond Chicken over Vanilla Scented Rice with Orange Soy Sauce

1 box already breaded fried chicken (note: in ghetto grocery stores and small towns, this is cheaper than the raw chicken. chicken nuggets work, too. just make sure to buy the cheap brand. if you can only find tysons, forget it and make chicken strips/nuggets the old fashioned way)
soy sauce
OJ concentrate
1 tbsp vanilla extract
white rice
almonds

cook chicken according to box. in a small saucepan boil rice with vanilla in the water. in another saucepan or microwave, cook soy sauce with a few tbsp of OJ concentrate.

Plate with rice on bottom of the bowl, chicken, sauce and garnish with almonds. Kids LOVE this recipe.

The tenderloin and tinfoil veggies turned out perfectly. I just wish I'd had a bottle of wine. I can't get over how easy and good those pre-marinaded shrink-wrapped pork tenderloins are. And cheap! I'll be eating this thing until monday.