Who's corner is the Pope in?

I doubt the pope could raise an army anymore. Look at birth control. The laws of the state overrule the laws of the church. That's one of many power struggles going on in the mideast right now.

It didn't "evolve past it", power was wrest from the church by various kings.

and I know that Christianity and Islam are opposed to each other, but oppsing religious leaders still have more in common with each other than with their subjects. I can imagine Castro seeing what happened to Saddam and thinking "thank god they weren't hard up for beachfront property"
I dont think you've read enough history...

As for the analogy; the only things Castro and Saddam had in common were the US doesnt particularly like them. Just because we put them both into the same category doesnt mean they have anything in common, much less have any chance of aligning.

The Catholic church has more power than you probably think as well. Not everything is overt. Do you really think birth control is their number one priority? It is essentially what's left of the Roman Empire. They likely have connections that we couldnt even imagine.

I dont think you've read enough history...

As for the analogy; the only things Castro and Saddam had in common were the US doesnt particularly like them. Just because we put them both into the same category doesnt mean they have anything in common, much less have any chance of aligning.

The Catholic church has more power than you probably think as well. Not everything is overt. Do you really think birth control is their number one priority? It is essentially what's left of the Roman Empire. They likely have connections that we couldnt even imagine.
it doesn't matter if it is their number one priority. they're clearly against it, and it's clearly still available in most countries. if the church still set law like it does in some islamic countries it wouldn't be available.

What Saddam and Castro had in common is they are/were dictators with directly frosty relations with the US. That's a pretty big deal. I know they had nothing idealistically in common, and would never consider aligning with one another (as the pope would never align with a muslim cleric) but they would be foolish not to at least consider the position of the other and study their tactics. It's entirely possible they could have a (very private) feeling of "nice move, well played".

Last edited:
Nah, they really do just think the other side in insane and should be wiped out.
that's unfortunate. I like to think of them as real people who can get out of their own head and look around a bit. For example: If I were ever president (or prime minister as allowed by law) I'm sure that every now and then I'd be like "fuck yeah! I'm the PM!! Who would have thought?"

I'm certain Clinton had moments like that.

Funny how Eddie Izzard references are always from the same single standup routine. I guess his other shows weren't any good.

Funny how Eddie Izzard references are always from the same single standup routine. I guess his other shows weren't any good.

I think it's just that few people have seen the others. Glorious remains my favorite, Definite Article is pretty good but Dressed to Kill is really the only one most Americans have seen. :o

I think it's just that few people have seen the others. Glorious remains my favorite, Definite Article is pretty good but Dressed to Kill is really the only one most Americans have seen. :o

I have Glorious on DVD :heart: I think that Dressed to Kill was the only one played on HBO, so maybe thats part of it. I want to get more of his DVD's, in case anyone wants to get me one for my birthday its only five months away!

I have Glorious on DVD :heart: I think that Dressed to Kill was the only one played on HBO, so maybe thats part of it. I want to get more of his DVD's, in case anyone wants to get me one for my birthday its only five months away!

I don't have any of the DVDs but I've downloaded the ones I mentioned plus Sexie and Circle. I'm pretty sure Glorious was my favorite but it may have been Definite Article...whichever one has Sean Connery as Moses wanting to build a shpeedboat. :lol: