Who's corner is the Pope in?

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
I just wondered for the first time who the Pope is rooting for in the struggle for power in the middle east. Any chance he's harbouring some deep rooted desire for the radical muslim clerics to come out on top and maintain their political power, despite the efforts of many to promote secular governments?

In case you're wondering where this came from, it was this sentence: "Two clerics at Islamabad's Red Mosque demanded her dismissal Sunday, two days after setting up a court to deliver Islamic justice in a bold challenge to President Gen. Pervez Musharraf, a U.S. ally who has promised to promote moderate Islam." from this article: http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=347305&Category=24&subCategoryID=

Maybe he feels sympathy for the struggle between church and state now facing Islam, similar to the one that played out in Europe generations ago with the church ultimately losing the majority of its power.

I would imagine he's ultimately on ours, seeing as radical Islam would kill him just as quickly as they would us.

I hate Islam, so I'm all for the new Pope. Not that it matters, since I'm neither Catholic nor religious.

I would imagine he's ultimately on ours, seeing as radical Islam would kill him just as quickly as they would us.
word

Jimmy the Dhimmi doesn't believe that, though!

The current pope is a straight racist against Islam. period.

I despise organized religion, but damn I miss JPII.

No doubt he's against Islam but Islam isn't really a race so I don't think racist is the right word there. :fly:

lol that reminds me

protip: when visiting a foreign country you should ALWAYS know where the nearest american embassy is located and pretend you are Canadian, that always works. :p

fixd and Eddie Izzard reference now satisfied

So no one thinks there even the tiniest chance that he doesn't wish he help the sway the Muslim Clerics do? I guess it's different when you're the head of a whole religion rather than just one of many fractured sects.

So no one thinks there even the tiniest chance that he doesn't wish he help the sway the Muslim Clerics do? I guess it's different when you're the head of a whole religion rather than just one of many fractured sects.

Radical Islam is effectively an opposing force of the Catholic church man. Ever hear of the crusades?

:confused: he does have the sway of muslim clerics. in fact I'd say the pope is one of the most powerful men on the planet and if he truly wanted to use that power to wipe islam from the earth he'd have no problem doing so. but unlike islam, christianity - even catholicism - has generally evolved and matured past the point of using religion to justify mass homicide. it's still done here and there but on a relatively minute scale compared to the numerous atrocities of the radical muslims

as usual a few bad eggs give the rest a bad name

Last edited:
:confused: he does have the sway of muslim clerics. in fact I'd say the pope is one of the most powerful men on the planet and if he truly wanted to use that power to wipe islam from the earth he'd have no problem doing so. but unlike islam, christianity - even catholicism - has generally evolved and matured past the point of using religion to justify mass homicide. it's still done here and there but on a relatively minute scale compared to the numerous atrocities of the radical muslims

as usual a few bad eggs give the rest a bad name
It didn't "evolve past it", power was wrest from the church by various kings.

and I know that Christianity and Islam are opposed to each other, but oppsing religious leaders still have more in common with each other than with their subjects. I can imagine Castro seeing what happened to Saddam and thinking "thank god they weren't hard up for beachfront property"