who here lives by themselves?

InfluX

Flaccid Member
Apr 1, 2006
the last frontier.
Marklar
₥0
i'm thinking i'm going to get a place all on my own, no roommates. probably no pets for awhile (as the ex still has my cats and i don't want to get into that right now)

while i've been out of my parents house since i was 17, i've never lived completely by myself and a single dorm room doesnt count. i've always had a roommate or two. kind of apprehensive about it all, will i get lonely? will i be able to afford it on my own? any input would be appreciated.

I don't currently live by myself but I have a few times...it's pretty cool actually...I recommend that everyone do it at least once in their life

i'm sure you'd be lonely at some points. that doesn't mean that living alone is a bad thing. only you would know for sure if you'd be comfortable with living alone, even with the loneliness that will come sometimes. hell, people get lonely sometimes living WITH someone. it's a part of being human.
only you will be able to determine if you can afford it. i'd say if you're not financially responsible, then no, don't get a place of your own. if you are, then you can make it happen, one way or another.
i think that people can learn a whole lot about themselves while living alone. even if, when the time comes, you are no longer living by yourself and you realize you didn't enjoy it, i'd still say that it can't be a bad thing. it just might strengthen parts of yourself to make yourself better.
good luck, whichever way you decide to go. there is no right or wrong answer here. :)

I lived alone when I first moved to Savannah from Charlotte. It was great, I didn't know anybody in the city, nobody bothered me, I could do what I wanted when I wanted and nobody had anything to say about it.

That said, even though I didn't dislike living alone, I like living with someone better...as long as it is someone without drama. Somehow I think even if inline lives alone, there is still going to be the drama amirite? :fly:

InfluX said:
hooray for drama! makes life interesting

If I want real life drama I'll go watch reality TV. Hooray irony!

Drool-Boy said:
Nothin' like taking a big steaming smelly dump with the door open.

I do that even though I do live with someone. :confused:

i think mostly i'd be looking forward to it only being noisy when i want it to be. somehow over the years i've become a very light sleeper, i usually had to sleep with earplugs in.

the only seriously practical thing i'm worried about is i don't have a couch anymore. i have everything else, but no couch. :(

Living alone is where it's at. You can do anything and watch anything without having to tiptoe around some other fgt's feelings. If I want to play BF2 naked with a condom on for no fucking reason I can.

Sarcasmo said:
Living alone is where it's at. You can do anything and watch anything without having to tiptoe around some other fgt's feelings. If I want to play BF2 naked with a condom on for no fucking reason I can.

...god damn this graphic imagination of mine.

zengirl said:
Get a few cats and you'll be set!!!

Sometimes I really miss living alone.

i have two :( but they are at the apartment i used to live in. i don't quite have the heart to run in there and take them back right now.

i have decided that i'm going to become a crazy cat lady in my old age. who care's if i'm allergic to the little bastards.

InfluX said:
i think mostly i'd be looking forward to it only being noisy when i want it to be. somehow over the years i've become a very light sleeper, i usually had to sleep with earplugs in.

the only seriously practical thing i'm worried about is i don't have a couch anymore. i have everything else, but no couch. :(

if a couch is all that's stopping you, go for it
freedom>couch
and you can always get a couch from somewhere

why_ask_why said:
if a couch is all that's stopping you, go for it
freedom>couch
and you can always get a couch from somewhere

the last couch we had was infested with hippies.

it was horrible. we let the ex's cousin sleep on it for a bit. that man would not bathe, no matter what was said to him. no amount of febreze and upholstry shampoo could get the smell out.

therefore i am hesitant to get a secondhand couch as it too, may be infested with hippies.

but i agree, i'm thinking i should just call up my mother's heritage and do everything on the floor. people can come over and be puzzled for a bit after i yell at them to take off their shoes at the door, grab some chopsticks and kneel.

InfluX said:
the last couch we had was infested with hippies.

it was horrible. we let the ex's cousin sleep on it for a bit. that man would not bathe, no matter what was said to him. no amount of febreze and upholstry shampoo could get the smell out.

therefore i am hesitant to get a secondhand couch as it too, may be infested with hippies.

but i agree, i'm thinking i should just call up my mother's heritage and do everything on the floor. people can come over and be puzzled for a bit after i yell at them to take off their shoes at the door, grab some chopsticks and kneel.

if going the secondhand route, find a yardsale in a nice neighborhood and grab one there...steam clean it when you get it home

God, I would never get a second hand couch. I've seen WAAAAAY too many horrible things. They aren't that expensive. Just save up for a bit and get a new one. It doesn't have to be fancy, and it will be completely uncontaminated.

living on your own is much better than putting up with people's crap. unless you can find someone who's crap you can put up with, get a place on yer own for sure. tis a good thing my wife can put up with my crap.

Thorn Bird said:
i'm sure you'd be lonely at some points. that doesn't mean that living alone is a bad thing. only you would know for sure if you'd be comfortable with living alone, even with the loneliness that will come sometimes. hell, people get lonely sometimes living WITH someone. it's a part of being human.
only you will be able to determine if you can afford it. i'd say if you're not financially responsible, then no, don't get a place of your own. if you are, then you can make it happen, one way or another.
i think that people can learn a whole lot about themselves while living alone. even if, when the time comes, you are no longer living by yourself and you realize you didn't enjoy it, i'd still say that it can't be a bad thing. it just might strengthen parts of yourself to make yourself better.
good luck, whichever way you decide to go. there is no right or wrong answer here. :)

well said. i appreciate it.