Who here has seen Brokeback Mountain?

Here's the real reason I refuse to see it, and it has always bothered me that no one else brings this up...

Regardless of their sexual preference THEY ARE CHEATING ON THEIR SPOUSES AND FAMILIES AND HOLLYWOOD IS PORTRAYING IT AS IF NOT ONLY IS IT "OK", BUT IT'S TOTALLY NATURAL STRUGGLE FOR "LOVE".

Last edited:
Here's the real reason I refuse to see it, and it has always bothered me that no one else brings this up...

Regardless of their sexual preference THEY ARE CHEATING ON THEIR SPOUSES AND FAMILIES AND HOLLYWOOD IS PORTRAYING IT AS IF NOT ONLY IS IT "OK", BUT IT'S TOTALLY NATURAL STRUGGLE FOR "LOVE".

You apparently know a lot about the story. Are they really married?

I guess the point they kinda brushed on was they got married and had kids AFTER they got together the first time. The assumption is they did that because that's what you are "supposed" to do. In the movie they did say they fell out of love with their spouses. It can be assumed it was because their hearts were with each other from the start. Had their love blossomed AFTER the marriages, that would have been cheating. If anything they were cheating on each other with each other's wife's.

huh, had no idea...did you write this movie? :fly:

I guess the point they kinda brushed on was they got married and had kids AFTER they got together the first time. The assumption is they did that because that's what you are "supposed" to do. In the movie they did say they fell out of love with their spouses. It can be assumed it was because their hearts were with each other from the start. Had their love blossomed AFTER the marriages, that would have been cheating. If anything they were cheating on each other with each other's wife's.

K.

Apparently your definition of legal marriage differs from my own. The circumstances of "who loved who first" in their affair are irrelevant.

huh, had no idea...did you write this movie?

I don't know what you've heard but be assured that any rumors circulating about my involvement with a traveling circus strong man are viciously exaggerated.

196459197d22715b.gif

Last edited:
K.

Apparently your definition of legal marriage differs from my own. The circumstances of "who loved who first" in their affair are irrelevant.

I don't know what you've heard but be assured that any rumors circulating about my involvement with a traveling circus strong man are viciously exaggerated.

http://uselessforums.com/imagehosting/196459197d22715b.gif[img][/QUOTE]

I was under the impression you married someone that you love, unless you weren't allowed to. In this case, they weren't, so they settled.

I was under the impression you married someone that you love, unless you weren't allowed to. In this case, they weren't, so they settled.

You should marry someone you love, that is absolutely true, that does not mean however that it's ok to cheat on your spouse and children regardless of who you happen to be in love with.

You should marry someone you love, that is absolutely true, that does not mean however that it's ok to cheat on your spouse and children regardless of who you happen to be in love with.

Even an arranged marriage like this one was?

Even an arranged marriage like this one was?

Arranged by what? Society? So because the two characters are too big of pussies to admit to who they really care for and deal with the consequences (if there actually would be any) that entitles to them to tear their existing families apart?

If they cared enough about eachother why didn't they just make it happen before they married/had kids, it would've been better than destroying two households, don't you think?

Kiwi: So what you are saying is, if I had a relationship with some guy prior to getting married to Knyte, then went back to him while still married with Knyte it's okay and not cheating cause I was in love with him first? That's just stupid.

Arranged by what? Society? So because the two characters are too big of pussies to admit to who they really care for and deal with the consequences (if there actually would be any) that entitles to them to tear their existing families apart?

If they cared enough about eachother why didn't they just make it happen before they married/had kids, it would've been better than destroying two households, don't you think?

Dealing with the consequences would give them a one week life span. That's why they didn't make it happen. Now I grant you they shouldn't have married if they couldn't be together in the first place. They were expected to be married and have kids. They did that.

Is it cheating if you never loved your spouse? Is it cheating if you and your spouse got together on terms other than sheer love? Maybe it is.

I know if I was questioning my sexuality, I wouldn't get married for fear that I would hurt them later if I chose the other way.

i saw it because someone on another forum upped it on his server... so i was like what the hell. i watched it and wow, it had to be the worst movie i have ever seen. awful storyline/acting/drama....

Dealing with the consequences would give them a one week life span. That's why they didn't make it happen. Now I grant you they shouldn't have married if they couldn't be together in the first place. They were expected to be married and have kids. They did that.

:rolleyes:

I don't buy into the "if we're gay they'll lynch us" crap, not one bit. If they wanted to make it work they could've made it work.

Is it cheating if you never loved your spouse?

YES

Is it cheating if you and your spouse got together on terms other than sheer love? Maybe it is.

YES, REGARDLESS OF THE CIRCUMSTANCES THEY WERE CHEATING ON THEIR WIVES AND CHILDREN.

I know if I was questioning my sexuality, I wouldn't get married for fear that I would hurt them later if I chose the other way.

Which I completely agree with.

:rolleyes:

I don't buy into the "if we're gay they'll lynch us" crap, not one bit. If they wanted to make it work they could've made it work.

No, they really couldn't. Perhaps if you had seen the movie you would know why it wouldn't (and didn't) work. The movie takes place in 1960 or so. They were pretty graphic about what happened to gay men where they lived. Rather than being tortured, mutilated and killed they did what they felt they had to do to appease everyone. For twenty years they battled their true desires to accomidate what society expected them to do. And when they were finally true to themselves they paid dearly for it.

No, they really couldn't. Perhaps if you had seen the movie you would know why it wouldn't (and didn't) work. The movie takes place in 1960 or so. They were pretty graphic about what happened to gay men where they lived. Rather than being tortured, mutilated and killed they did what they felt they had to do to appease everyone. For twenty years they battled their true desires to accomidate what society expected them to do. And when they were finally true to themselves they paid dearly for it.

Artistic licence. There were 3 people lynched in the entire country 1960-1969. Source is DOJ report I got on gun crime :lol:

Artistic licence. There were 3 people lynched in the entire country 1960-1969. Source is DOJ report I got on gun crime :lol:

And about how many families were so ashamed that they heard their son or daughter was gaybashed and would report it? I don't think many would at all.

I think we all agree that gay people are like aliens and should be isolated and studied. Now then, let's talk about something else, savvy?