GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs-Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Workplace safety violations and requirement can be weird.

Where I fell, there really should’ve been a guard railing or mandatory safety belt rule. The warehouse I mange’s prior to that job however, OSHA insisted a install chain link material on the underside of skylights in the warehouse to keep anyone from falling through the skylight.

The only people liable to fall through the skylights would’ve been those trying to break in. WTF?

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Lots of folks tried to get me to sue my employer after my accident because they had a serious safety violation that everyone danced around for years, but had never been corrected. Partly the insurance carrier’s fault, as they did a pretty thorough walk through prior to insuring.

I couldn’t bring myself to sue someone who wasn’t really at fault, no one was. It was an accident.

Broken legs not withstanding.

Aw shit
A safety violation ignored would be "corporate fault". And the insurers fault if it's something they missed. I'm puzzled why you wouldn't have sued. Hopefully you at least got some decent Worker's Comp. Don't know about your state, but here they won't let you sue the employer beyond WC for any but intentional or extreme negligence of the employer. IIRC didn't you fall from a ladder?

Ah, you fell through a skylight. Damn! Hmm, maybe the thinking was to put the chains where less accessible to assholes trying to break in. I installed a big rooftop skylight for someone and we ran 1" steel bar stock inside of purdy stainless tubes to create a thief sieve below it. Inside.

Thanks. To me, it’s just life. I nearly landed on my head and imagine what my posts would be like then. It would be like

Durrrr duiuurrrrr duuuuurrrrr
glad it didn't go that way. I used to know some folks with traumatic brain injuries and it sucked a lot for them. one of them talked at length with me about how hard it is on him that he remembers the life he used to have before it happened, and to know he can't and will never have that life or be that person again. he owned a garage, had a wife and kids, etc and now he has to live in a medical home and have caretakers, can't just decide to go out or do anything, can't make important decisions on his care or live, he left his wife because he didn't want her to resent him for it all and wanted her to find someone else and have a normal life. it wrecked my shit.

A safety violation ignored would be "corporate fault". And the insurers fault if it's something they missed. I'm puzzled why you wouldn't have sued. Hopefully you at least got some decent Worker's Comp. Don't know about your state, but here they won't let you sue the employer beyond WC for any but intentional or extreme negligence of the employer. IIRC didn't you fall from a ladder?

Man. I said it was a violation that my employer and the WC carrier danced around for years. It wasn’t a clear cut, in the book safety violation but became one the second I fell.

The main reason I didn’t sue was because it was nobody’s fault. I knew my employer for years before working there and when they found out I was suddenly unemployed, they headhunted me.

I explained to them, in person, that I was a drunk who had recently received his first DUI and had (at the time) less than 3 months sober. I also stated that I needed to be assured I wouldn’t be asked to work later than 5 pm, no exceptions, so I could go to my usual AA meeting.

They took a chance on me. A big one. Then I got hurt 6 months later, while totally sober.

I know the way of the world is to get ahead regardless of who you fuck to get there, but I never have played that game. You don’t fuck your buddies, and like I said, they took a huge gamble on me. Sueing them would’ve been the fucked up thing to do. I’m not a buddy fucker.

Ah, you fell through a skylight. Damn! Hmm, maybe the thinking was to put the chains where less accessible to assholes trying to break in. I installed a big rooftop skylight for someone and we ran 1" steel bar stock inside of purdy stainless tubes to create a thief sieve below it. Inside.

Dude. Read slower.

It was a storage area above a two story office inside the warehouse. About 30 feet, landed standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.