GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs-Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.
alright fuckwads what's poppin.

showed up to this lecture without looking at the notes first. 90 minutes of "intro to R and simple random sampling". pretty sure I went over this 3 years ago but now I'm too comfortable to leave the lecture.
R is the shit.

So what is this course, "Intro to Statistics for Enginerds"?

R is the shit.

So what is this course, "Intro to Statistics for Enginerds"?

almost as bad. it's a third-year course that all stat majors have to take (and many non-stat majors take because it's so easy), "sampling and experimental design"...but the assignments are all in R so they teach it new for anyone who hasn't used it before.

I learned R to an unnecessary degree through a few optimisation algorithm/ML courses last year and have used it a ton at work, so a lecture on "intro to simple random sampling" is what one might call a waste of time.

edit: to answer the other question, I'm an actuarial-science-turned-statistics-and-computer-science major.

almost as bad. it's a third-year course that all stat majors have to take (and many non-stat majors take because it's so easy), "sampling and experimental design"...but the assignments are all in R so they teach it new for anyone who hasn't used it before.

I learned R to an unnecessary degree through a few optimisation algorithm/ML courses last year and have used it a ton at work, so a lecture on "intro to simple random sampling" is what one might call a waste of time.

edit: to answer the other question, I'm an actuarial-science-turned-statistics-and-computer-science major.
The fuck do they have stat guys working in R and not something like SAS?

For stat people, SAS is probably better since it's an industry standard.

It's not like universities are known for being thrifty, after all.

you'd think. but I guess they mostly expect us to get SAS experience on-job, and most of my friends have learned it primarily through co-ops.

on the other hand, as an actuary, our R&D team was exclusively R-based and very much appreciated my experience. I think that the CIA/SOA still prefers R for stochastic mortality modelling and experience trend analysis, which ends up working in my favour since I'm using the stats degree as a generalization but focusing on actuarial careers anyway.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Status
Not open for further replies.