GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs - Part III

WHAT HAPPENED TO WILLIE

a mod put him on a time out. not sure for how long. don’t care

giphy.gif

A new bass would be if they still sell it. But then do I just buy a new one every time the wood dries? If the wood is decent (neck joint? idk) I've always seen this as something to put money into as a player. If they decide to try basically sanding the binding smooth they're thinking $200-300.

I could probably get everything I need to rebind/refret and give it a nicer finish for that much. Guy seemed like he would be thoughtful in his work but not necessarily masterfully experienced. If I fuck it up it's only an SX.
I say give it a shot if you're up to it. Can always have the guy finish it off if you can't get it just right.
You're plenty smart and careful enough to not bubba it you won't get hit with the "if you worked on it first" price if you do have to take it in, and if you end up making a player out of it yourself there's a uniqueness and sense of accomplishment there that can't be bought at any price.
Be a good learning experience, and give you a better idea if it's something you'd like to do as a profession or at least side gig.
You'll sink a fair amount of time into it but the experience and hands-on knowledge gained is the pay. Materials won't cost much by comparison.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and NukesII
BTW a fret leveling can do wonders for playability on cheap basses, and even some not so cheap ones. Get worked to even up and down the neck and across the radius. Then crown them without lowering them any more.
All it takes other than a marker and very fine sandpaper or emery cloth is a true straightedge. Piece of steel from a real machine shop works (not just a piece of stock that "seems straight"). Other thing that works great and is probably free is a cutoff end of polished granite countertop.
When they polish that stone they (or at least used to) rub two pieces together with a fine compound in between. Can't help but end up flat on the shiny side.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Strings
Thinking of pulling the plug on a year subscription to Scottsbasslessons.com.
$199. I can't fukkn read actual music. I can create a killer walking baseline at 180 bpm quarter note but it's pretty stuck in I IV V or I IV with a minor II turnaround to sound all jazzy and shit.
Want to be able to play jazz with competence. Want to be able to solo in the jazz idiom. Compose. Write charts.
None of this is an attempt to make myself more employable in music. I just want to shred and be knowledgeable.

Scott is a mofo of a session bass player and the white rubber glove aside, he's carved quite an empire for himself in the bass universe.

Duo show last night with Josh. Hipster bar. Got a thousand dirty looks from 20 something females.
Josh had a Washburn thin line acoustic he used for years with massive piezo issues. A few months ago he went on a search for a decent acoustic.

Instead he bought a Mitchell.
Tin ear? Maybe. About halfway through the show I mentioned to him that the Mitchell's on board tuner was a microtone sharp.
The second half of the show I played everything to the right of the side dots to match his shitty guitars shitty intonation ( I was using the tele fretless).
My action was also too low.
Today I adjusted the truss rod one cunthair tighter and raised the E,A and D Bridge setscrews a single turn.

Plays like buttah.
Someday I'm gonna hit the powerball and buy Josh a real acoustic like a real Martin or Taylor.

Last edited:
Long and the short of it? I made $105.00 and all the free sodas I could handle. Instead I drank an OJ.
There's not two people in the bar who could hear Intonation issues or low honky action.
All these obsessions are based on musician bias.
Besides, the age-ism was rampant. Daddy Dave and uncle Josh playing dinosaur music.
Josh asked "why did all the hot chicks leave the second we brought our equipment in?"
I replied "narcissists need to be heard. Our music is going to drown out their self centered banter".
Oh, the good times!

Josh is on a grandma Tinder tear. He's 46 and just got divorced. Last show I was joking about his two impending dates that night.
Then he nodded towards Geandma Joanne. No shit?
Helluva fetishist.
A 60 year old 4 who was 50 lbs overweight.
If only I could have standards that low...

Thinking of pulling the plug on a year subscription to Scottsbasslessons.com.
$199. I can't fukkn read actual music. I can create a killer walking baseline at 180 bpm quarter note but it's pretty stuck in I IV V or I IV with a minor II turnaround to sound all jazzy and shit.
Want to be able to play jazz with competence. Want to be able to solo in the jazz idiom. Compose. Write charts.
None of this is an attempt to make myself more employable in music. I just want to shred and be knowledgeable.

Scott is a mofo of a session bass player and the white rubber glove aside, he's carved quite an empire for himself in the bass universe.
I'll get you there for $159.98 tax included.

• Love
Reactions: NukesII
It takes some real . . . something to publicly admit you made a bunch of women that uncomfortable.
I can't wait til your an AARP member like me,, and your very presence pisses off everyone under 30.
Except I expect to be dead by then :)
Too bad I need to remind you that your girlfriend cucked you out multiple times.
Did you cry when she told you she accidentally ran train on multiple guys in the alley behind the local Pub?
Cuck.

I thought she split cause Hoggz couldn't keep his pants on around her hot friend. Or maybe that was a different one?
I may've missed a beat or two in there or added a measure of 2/4 or something.

I can't wait til your an AARP member like me,, and your very presence pisses off everyone under 30.
Too bad I need to remind you that your girlfriend cucked you out multiple times.
Did you cry when she told you she accidentally ran train on multiple guys in the alley behind the local Pub?
Cuck.

It's the gray, nukes.

I can still pass for old-ish but not off-putting old as long as I shave.
Head hair no gray.
Face hair some gray some white.

Also attitude. Older folks trying to act like they're 25 again is just as off-putting as young folks acting like they know things that can only be known after a level of life experience they ain't been around long enough to have.

Of course if they're balding there's just nowhere to go with that. They thought they were being sneaky doing the shaved head thing but they really weren't fooling anybody. Was just as obvious as the combover.

• Gravy
Reactions: NukesII
I've been working with a guy who's 31. Seems like an alright guy. Was in the chairforce for awhile and is using his gi bill + working to take care of himself while pursuing a business degree. Smart move and if handled well should lead to a good future. He's just one of these guys who thinks he made it to his 30s so he's got life all figured out now and knows how it all works, got the system all figured out, and of course he knows all this stuff about running businesses (even though he's never run so much as a lemonade stand) because he's majoring in that after all dontchaknow.

Makes me chuckle sometimes.

I don't burst his bubble or be negative or anything. Supportive really. The dude seems fairly driven, that's a good thing, and as long as life doesn't throw him an inside curveball (lol, it will) he'll probably do well.
Sure does seem to know a lot though (chuckle).

Cuck.
lol

Cuck.
messages_0(2).jpeg

I kind of feel like a dick for doing that but if you're gonna be a dick you should at least be a big one, right?

Yeah I'm fishing for validation here.