GAY Who are the Flatboi Downs - Part III

Dude on Reverb wants to trade me a G&L JB5 plus cash for my Kay M1 upright.
Candy apple red with matching headstock. Passive. Alnico V pickups. Rosewood with pearloid blocks.
Pretty. Trouble is I'm not a jazz bass fan- too bright.
I'd want to re-route the bridge for an MM pickup. You guys think it would tame the beast with an MM in the bridge position?

• Gravy
  • Sad
Reactions: pacojas and adi
Dude on Reverb wants to trade me a G&L JB5 plus cash for my Kay M1 upright.
Candy apple red with matching headstock. Passive. Alnico V pickups. Rosewood with pearloid blocks.
Pretty. Trouble is I'm not a jazz bass fan- too bright.
I'd want to re-route the bridge for an MM pickup. You guys think it would tame the beast with an MM in the bridge position?
dont sell the kay

Hey nukes. Your gear is gonna have it's own room in your new house, yes?

If so I'd forget about basses for awhile. Just keep what you have, including and especially the upright.

Instead look at getting a half decent guitar or two, some kind of keyboard if at least an inexpensive one just to use as a midi controller, an actual studio recording vocal mic, a decent set of monitors and headphones, a measurement mic, some sound treatment, a comfortable chair, and an ergonomic mouse that won't give you hand cramps.

After all that, then get another bass if you want, but don't trade the upright for it, and don't get one you already know you don't like then try to turn it into something it's not.

12 or so years of bass playing (and I've known you sick fucks for 9 of those) and to this day l only own two of them. diversified into a couple nice synths and other things to just get more utility in my studio room for noodling with other sounds and styles. wish I had a real piano in the mix.

12 or so years of bass playing (and I've known you sick fucks for 9 of those) and to this day l only own two of them. diversified into a couple nice synths and other things to just get more utility in my studio room for noodling with other sounds and styles. wish I had a real piano in the mix.

I went through my hoarding phase. Now I'm down to 2 or 3 of each thing. 2 basses, 2 amps, 3 cabs small medium and large, etc. It's a good place to be.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
I do have most of the components and material to do a small-ish single sub PA cab set but too much other stuff going on and not enough need for it. Someday though...i keep telling myself.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
I would like probably 2 more basses ideally. and 2 more guitars. I think 4 of each would be optimal for getting every sound and tuning combo I use. still need a fretless badly and it's probably my next purchase but that's gonna be a ways out since I bought the prophet and the PRS this year.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer
IMG_20201127_100329.jpg

left all my bass cabs in my parents' basement since there was no way in hell I was fitting them in my 8x8 room (and no way in hell I wasn't getting evicted from this condo with a 4x10 above volume 0.01) but this current setup is working out nicely so far.

I do need to have a P-bass again. Got one with 2 J's, one with 2 HB's, but no P.
Probably make that one my homebrew DIY and make it a PJ.

I actually went out of my way to get my P bass back when I moved into this place. I had given it to my little brother to learn on since I exclusively use my J, but realized how useful it is to have a P with flats around for that one tone the J absolutely cannot mimic no matter how you process it.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer