Halp Which Server 2012?

I still need a download of exchange 2k10 enterprise, but zero rush

As for server 2012, I'd recommend using server 2k8 enterprise for the moment. You can always then user 2k8's Hyper V to create virtual servers if you want spot services like HTML and SQL that are better served not being on a PDC, or if you want to create a server running 2k3 or 2k12 in a virtual that you can use without causeing any problems in your main server.

Last edited:

As for server 2012, I'd recommend using server 2k8 enterprise for the moment. You can always then user 2k8's Hyper V to create virtual servers if you want spot services like HTML and SQL that are better served not being on a PDC, or if you want to create a server running 2k3 or 2k12 in a virtual that you can use without causeing any problems in your main server.

There are no users, just me being a nerd :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_2012

Personally I'd run Hyper-V 2012, then spin up whatever you want for guest VMs, such as Essentials or Stnd. Enterprise really isn't needed in a test bed environment. Hyper-V 2012 is pretty damn slick. My only virtualization experience is with Citrix XenServer (free version). It's a bit easier to manage than the Citrix box.

Edit: and Hyper-V 2012 will run fine on those specs. I've got a client with an older Xeon 3440 CPU, 8GB RAM, RAID-5 array on sata drives running an Exchange 2010 guest VM for 5 employees, and will probably migrate the remaining 20 or so employees, assuming enough free disk space is available. (I would have preferred a new server, but the client is cheap.)

Last edited:

Downloading now. I'm surprised that Dreamhost hasn't said anything about all the shit I've uploaded.