Which netbook?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So I was interested in netbooks and have been window shopping around. The one I am liking so far for use as a toy with travel benefits and usability is Asus 1005HA. The packaging is robust (to creaking or flexible plastics), the performance is respectable with Windows 7, connectibility (with BT, wifi, 3G with a card), upgradable, nice screen, very nice battery use.

Anyone have any other ideas? I dig the Everun Note but I can't play with one first hand, nor the Asus T91 or Viliv S7 for that matter. I would like a touchscreen, but obviously not required.

Thoughts? What are your thoughts on the MID/UMPC implementations? I wish we could pick up a Gigabyte M528 for about $500 or less with a Menlow platform in it.

I got that Samsung Q1 Ultra that someone here recommended to me awhile back (was it you dave?), and that thing is great for traveling!

Don't have any other experience with netbooks, sorry..

I wanted one, but my bro-in-law that works in a Dr.s office said that they're cute in the beginning, but then quickly become too small. He had one on loan from teh office for a couple mos, but after a few weeks decided that for only a little bigger appliance, he could get better screen/keyboard/dvd in put without needing other peripherals.

He got a 14" screen laptop instead & loves it. Uses it for everything. Said most people in the office felt the same way.

I got that Samsung Q1 Ultra that someone here recommended to me awhile back (was it you dave?), and that thing is great for traveling!

Don't have any other experience with netbooks, sorry..

I don't know if it was me, but I have heard nothing but raves with that thing. The power and battery life when it was introduced is still competitive today.

I don't know if it was me, but I have heard nothing but raves with that thing. The power and battery life when it was introduced is still competitive today.

The large battery gets me 5+ hours, and the slim battery gets me around 2.5 to 3 hours..

The touchscreen is one of the best I have used. Very easy to hand write on..

The reason I like the concept of a netbook, like a Zaurus, is that you can quickly close it and it protects the screen and keypad from being pressed. The UMID M1 looks fantastic as well as it's form factor anyway.

Lol, I heart Dave!

I'm waiting for WAW to come in here and be negative about netbooks. He just does not get it.

Netbooks are 3 year old tech repackaged to make them popular again.

The price you would pay for a netbook and kindle combination would equal a nice tablet PC with a bunch more balls

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/price/product.asp?productFamilyID=1181&productID=25944

1.5 hours battery? That isn't very good. But I do like the packaging of that HP, the hinge is really weak. And it's over twice the price of the Asus ($300 - $350). And why would you get a kindle when you can read on a the netbook? Or better yet get a Viliv S7 and read exactly like on a Kindle, only in color for $600?

And netbooks will surf just as well as that tablet PC you linked, maybe even better with the brighter screen that doesn't have to go through a reflective touch screen layer.

I know I'd get one and wonder why the hell I didn't just buy a cheap laptop for the added utility.

Longer battery life, more portability, cheaper price, still does office work and web surfing exactly the same, more features.

to me, it's like getting a really convenient cell phone and also having to supplement it with your PDA when you need the additional PDA features.

If you get something like a UMID M1 or better yet M2, it IS a PDA. If you get a "UMPC" like the Nokia N900 with celliphony, it IS a phone and a PDA.

My use case would be a netbook (or 12" notebook) with a phone with BT for tethering or quick emailing game playing. The rest of my work would be done on my portable machine (the netbook). The Nokia might do all of that but with some exceptions.