Where's FG when you need him -OR- How should I attach this to my wall?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥947
So chim has constructed this shelving system for his glasses. After some modifications and populating the shelf with glasses, it will be very heavy.

The shelf comes with a strap to hold the top close to the wall so that it doesn't tip over. I want to screw it into the stud to keep it secure.

What kind of screw should I use? Drill? How can I find the stud (keep in mind this is a non-gay thread)?

Thanks.

So chim has constructed this shelving system for his glasses. After some modifications and populating the shelf with glasses, it will be very heavy.

The shelf comes with a strap to hold the top close to the wall so that it doesn't tip over. I want to screw it into the stud to keep it secure.

What kind of screw should I use? Drill? How can I find the stud (keep in mind this is a non-gay thread)?

Thanks.

All I got from that entire post was "comes with strap on, I want to screw it into the stud."

Don't ask Drool. Have you seen his shed?

070215_house.jpg

No pics, sorry. I can't find what I am looking for.

Basically it is a nylon strip that screws into the bookshelf and then screws into the wall to hold it up. I just need a screw into the wall (and preferably into a stud) to keep it upright.

No pics, sorry. I can't find what I am looking for.

Basically it is a nylon strip that screws into the bookshelf and then screws into the wall to hold it up. I just need a screw into the wall (and preferably into a stud) to keep it upright.

why not use a metal L bracket instead of a nylon strap?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=6089-355-77-110&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=pg&p=WW/BillAug04.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHardware!

You can drill insets across the back of the piece itself and inset the exposed screwheads into them. You will need several insets and screws rated for the weight of your piece, plus it's contents (weight = piece fully loaded). Weigh your piece full loaded before you choose your screws.

You can also install multiple hangers (multiple hangers need to be used to evenly distribute the weight across the piece, so the hangers are all equally loaded .. you can buy hangers rated for different type strengths as well as rated screws .. you'll need to weigh your piece .. fully loaded to choose the proper rated hanger/screw) to the back of the pieceto hang on the screw heads.

Make SURE you are in a stud .. otherwise it will rip the drywall and the screw will come out.

Last edited: