Where to move to next?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So here is the deal.

I am going to be laid off most likely in November. My current position is that I have never lived outside of Cleveland and am begging to get out of here. I am not a fan of the cold.

My "partner" (because apparently we are cowboys :rolleyes: ) wants to move back to MN but is open to moving elsewhere. His job is fairly mobile, so it really depends on where I get work. He likes the cold, however.

I also have to sell my place which is now worth less than I owe for it, so I am thinking I will have to take a loss for it.

My current ideas for places are Denver, Atlanta, Houston (or Dallas or San Antonio), Portland, or Seattle. Chicago might be an option as well, but the job market there isn't doing well and the 12% tax rate is ludicrous. Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto, or Quebec are options as well, I think.

What are your thoughts? I am a software quality engineer by trade so I would like a place that has some sort of market left for that line of work.

Ottawa has quite a bit of high-tech work available for contractors. French is a bonus but not a necessity. The employment rate is still strong as gov't contracts keep everyone working. Plus, it's cold as fuck, but not as cold as Montreal or Quebec. We also treat cowboys nicely. Work visas would be required though...

+1 for Denver. Liberal populace, the best view you will find anywhere in the country, an awesome downtown area with a great urban feel and populace, it's actually a lot warmer than you might think as there are days where t-shirt and jeans aren't unusual in January. Had an IT boom in the late 90's, so there are still a number of development houses around the area, mostly internal corporate but a small contingent of B2B.

Did I mention the amazing view?

And that white water rafting is only a 2 hour trip away (canon river ftw)

And skiing

Oh yeah, and the view.

And iirc it's like 2nd on the list of most microbrews in it's area in the country.

+1 for Denver. Liberal populace, the best view you will find anywhere in the country, an awesome downtown area with a great urban feel and populace, it's actually a lot warmer than you might think as there are days where t-shirt and jeans aren't unusual in January. Had an IT boom in the late 90's, so there are still a number of development houses around the area, mostly internal corporate but a small contingent of B2B.

Did I mention the amazing view?

And that white water rafting is only a 2 hour trip away (canon river ftw)

And skiing

Oh yeah, and the view.

And iirc it's like 2nd on the list of most microbrews in it's area in the country.

*moves to top of list*

*moves to top of list*

Coors field, which in my opinion is the most amazing ballpark I have ever seen, has it's own microbrewery built inside it. Plus, there are at least 5-8 more immediately around it. Or there was when I was living there. I doubt that part has changed to much.

16th street mall is also a great place to spend a saturday or sunday morning. As long as it's not because your waking up on it from the night before.

Duke you are making him butter in Denver's hands.

I'd say Tampa, but it's a balmy 88 degrees out now and Chim may not appreciate that. For beers all we have are Busch and Yuengling as far as I can remember.

Seriously, if the opportunity arose for me to move back, I would have to think long and hard on it. I loved that town.

Are there other areas of the metro area that are cheaper than right downtown that is safeish and still trendish? I know there are some suburbs in Cleveland that are more liberal and cheaper than downtown area but still close.

Are there other areas of the metro area that are cheaper than right downtown that is safeish and still trendish? I know there are some suburbs in Cleveland that are more liberal and cheaper than downtown area but still close.

yeah. There are. Denver is mostly sprawl though, so you most likely won't be living downtown. With the light rail though as established as it is, that won't matter. PS. Light-rail there rocks.

Gotta look though, you will find a nice part of town nestled next to some not so nice parts. Overall, anything south of Alameda is safe. and west of Wadsworth.

But there are a lot of good places around, and the neighborhoods that were bad just a decade ago have gone through a lot of renewal. There 'was' a big trend of yuppies moving back into the city for a while there.

Ps. whatever you do, do not live anywhere north and east of Colorado and Colfax. Or west of federal north of alameda, in denver or the immediate suburbs. You will be a not very well accepted racial minority.

Yeah. Colorado Springs. Probably not a place you and Chim wanna be. I'm pretty sure they have a permanent lynch mob on stand by just waiting for Perez Hilton to pass through town.

Colorado is a great state. Very beautiful, great range of scenery and things to do. It does have harsh winters though, but probably more mild then Ohio.

Colorado is a great state. Very beautiful, great range of scenery and things to do. It does have harsh winters though, but probably more mild then Ohio.
o_O Ohio and harsh winter... Pretty sure Colorado is more snowy :p

Either way, I suggest Madison Wisconsin area. It's super crackpot liberal. Kinda flat but pretty.

o_O Ohio and harsh winter... Pretty sure Colorado is more snowy :p

Either way, I suggest Madison Wisconsin area. It's super crackpot liberal. Kinda flat but pretty.

As a native of St. Paul, MN, and an 18 year resident of Denver, I can guaranfuckingtee you that WI/MN winters are far more harsh the Denver's.

Denver is not in the mountains, so the snow they get isn't as often, and it never sticks. 1-2 feet of snow one day can be melted away less than a week later.

Oh and I suggest staying out of NY, NJ, MA, CT, MD, and CA. Unless you like high cost of living, crappy roads, expensive housing, car inspections, high taxes :kek: