Where have all the fireflies gone?

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
No, seriously... I go outside at night to let the dog pee, no lightning bugs. I go outside last week when I was in the middle of Fing nowhere, GA (cordele, GA) and no lightning bugs. I visit Charlotte and go outside at dusk...no lightning bugs.

It seemed that there was an abundance of these little creatures flying around in my childhood to catch, pull their asses off and put on glow in the dark lipstick, keep them in a jar till they die of dehydration/starvation. I honestly can't remember the last time i've seen even 1 flying around.

Where are they all at?

Isn't it a little late in the season for lightning bugs? I'm thinking May, June.

I'm speaking about the last couple of years. I honestly can't remember a time when i've seen one. It used to be that in the summer months I'd walk outside and there would be 10s or 100s flying around the yard/field. the last few years nothing. :confused:

I had them in the yard of my last house but not my current one now that you mention it...been at the current one for a year

I'm speaking about the last couple of years. I honestly can't remember a time when i've seen one. It used to be that in the summer months I'd walk outside and there would be 10s or 100s flying around the yard/field. the last few years nothing. :confused:

Ah. I dunno. They've been gone around here for like 15 years. Are you rural? Pesticides and development are usually what does it. Wait, you're in Tampa right?

Ah. I dunno. They've been gone around here for like 15 years. Are you rural? Pesticides and development are usually what does it. Wait, you're in Tampa right?

Savannah, but they don't cover my area with pesticides...but I wish they did, mosquitoes and gnats are terrible here.

Edit: in case anyone has them around and wants to know how to catch one here:
instructions.gif

Last edited:
http://www.failuremag.com/arch_science_fireflies.html

The most common reason given for the decline of fireflies is that suburban sprawl is eradicating wetlands and destroying their natural habitat. "In addition to loss of land, we've lowered water tables," says Lloyd, "which means water doesn't percolate to the surface and produce little streams, marshes and wet areas. Those are the kinds of situations where many species occur."

But researchers have also speculated that the amount of artificial light used by humans may be playing a role in holding down firefly populations, as ambient light inevitably interferes with their ability to find mates. In other words, it's almost impossible for a one-inch beetle's tiny tail lantern to compete with yard lights, streetlights and headlights. Not surprisingly, chemical pollution and climatic changes have also been identified as contributing factors.

1354522aa635fe16.jpg

Plus pesticides don't just stay in people's lawns.

TOXINS’ TRAIL TO THE TOP

Farmworkers, crop-dusters and gardeners in mountain valleys spray organic compounds – insecticides and herbicides – on crops including wheat, apples, potatoes, grapes and corn.

At the warm temperatures in the valleys, some of these pesticides evaporate and enter the atmosphere. Residues of banned pesticides in soil might also evaporate.

Once pesticides are in the atmosphere, winds blow them around the globe. In cold climates, such as those in mountains, they stick to snow and drop to earth, where they accumulate in the seasonal snowpack. When mountain snows melt, some of the contaminants re-evaporate. Others are washed into the soil, lakes and rivers.

Last edited:
New personal mission:

To shoot out and/or destroy any and all unnatural outdoor light within a 5 mile radius.

5234522af477b9c7.jpg

Edit: Scratch the KY Jelly, I'll just wait till the fireflies repopulate and then tear off all their asses and make glow in the dark lube.

Last edited: