When will it end?

zengirl said:
Well sure, but for a time there was also overwhelming medical evidence to support the fact that eggs were bad for you... and then that was retracted to say they were good for you. Then another study showed that alcohol was poison to the system, and then another study showed that one to two drinks a day actually lowered blood pressure and helped prevent heart disease. Now pregnant women aren't supposed to eat tuna, eggs, caffeine, and many other common food items which have been dietary staples for centuries. It boggles the mind that after generations, right now, all of a sudden these things are detrimental to health. Suprising that we aren't extinct yet.
That's the problem with modern science. There's so much data that nobody knows what to do with it all half the time, hence the conflicting test results.

Today's medical science is an evolution of ancient greek medicine, which was based on the theory that the body is composed of various "humors" and other mysteries. They focused on treating the symptoms of a disease instead of treating the actual disease itself, much like we do today. In the past few years there has been much learned about mesopotamia and their culture. It's been discovered that the mesopotamian society had much of the same medical knowledge we have today, only they had it 30,000 years ago. If modern medicine was based on this system I've got a feeling we'd have a better handle on things and we'd actually be able to identify and eliminate diseases, not just treat the symptoms.

Another thing that's detrimental to our health is the fad of antibacterial everything. Over time the widespread use of antibacterial cleansers causes the bacteria to adapt and become immune. If kids would just go outside and eat some dirt once in a while they'd be better equipped to fight off bateria and disease because they'd have had the opportunity to develop their immune system. Then we wouldn't need to use all these antibacterial nonsense. It could be used only when absolutely required.

CletusJones said:
Another thing that's detrimental to our health is the fad of antibacterial everything. Over time the widespread use of antibacterial cleansers causes the bacteria to adapt and become immune. If kids would just go outside and eat some dirt once in a while they'd be better equipped to fight off bateria and disease because they'd have had the opportunity to develop their immune system. Then we wouldn't need to use all these antibacterial nonsense. It could be used only when absolutely required.

absofuckinlulely. i agree 100% here.

CletusJones said:

hell yeah man, kids gotta swim in shit and eat garbage to build up that immune system. Otherwise some nasty asian chicken fungus would kill us all.

CletusJones said:
Today's medical science is an evolution of ancient greek medicine, which was based on the theory that the body is composed of various "humors" and other mysteries. They focused on treating the symptoms of a disease instead of treating the actual disease itself, much like we do today. In the past few years there has been much learned about mesopotamia and their culture. It's been discovered that the mesopotamian society had much of the same medical knowledge we have today, only they had it 30,000 years ago. If modern medicine was based on this system I've got a feeling we'd have a better handle on things and we'd actually be able to identify and eliminate diseases, not just treat the symptoms.

I completely agree with the antibacterial everything stuff, but educated parents know better. Most people I know are well aware of the dangers of going through jugs of Purel everyday. I let my son be a little boy. He plays in the dirt, crawls on the floor, whatever. I don't care. Within reason, of course.

I'm not so sure about all that mesopotamian stuff though. They lacked about 99% of what we know and have today. They had no concept of microbes, DNA, x-rays, lasers, efficient surgical technique, etc. So I would dispute that claim pretty vehemently. And I think that should say 3,000 years ago for obvious reasons.

Sarcasmo said:
I'm not so sure about all that mesopotamian stuff though. They lacked about 99% of what we know and have today. They had no concept of microbes, DNA, x-rays, lasers, efficient surgical technique, etc. So I would dispute that claim pretty vehemently. And I think that should say 3,000 years ago for obvious reasons.
Granted they did lack 100% of the technology we have today, but they were able to perform basic (and even some advanced) surgeries, they had a working knowledge of disinfectants, and they were able to use natural plant cures to treat fevers and other sicknesses just the same.

Yeah, it's 3,000, I just got carried away with the zeros. They're fun. :fly:

edit: 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I'm a smoker, and I'm all for having a place that is smoke free. But bars, clubs, and THE BLOODY OUTDOORS should NOT be part of a ban.

It just blows me away every time that someone complains about this, come on. It's okay to ban smoking, but not fast food and fatness? What is that? There are other things that people need to be worrying about. If you have a problem being around cig smoke, then don't go to a bar, or go to one that offers a smoke free section. But by passing more laws all that you are going to do is foster another generation of people who are more alienated and upset at the government for trying to impliment their views upon a population.

In short, it's the most absurd thing that I can think of. Gang violence and even traffic accidents should be delt with and solved before some all high and mighty blow hard decides what I should and should not do.

I think the next step is to ban fat people from restaurants. I find it hard to eat when Fatty McFat Cheeks MaGee is shoveling food down at a rate approaching the speed of light.

Smoke I could deal with, fat smelly people, not so much.

Obesity has got to be a more severe problem than smoking, but it's probably just harder to legislate. I see more fat people when I venture outside then I do smokers.

djdouchebag said:
It's okay to ban smoking, but not fast food and fatness? What is that?

You eat fast food. You. And the fat in your fast food doesn't leave your table setting and force its way into someone else's mouth. So what's the similarity? Smoke is free flowing, free floating. It goes up your nose if you're breathing in the same room, regardless. That makes it everyone's problem. And people have a right to not inhale your chemicals just because you have a nervous habit.

djdouchebag said:
There are other things that people need to be worrying about.

Such as?

djdouchebag said:
Gang violence and even traffic accidents

Ah, I see.

People randomly doing whatever crosses their mind isn't a problem that can be solved. Ever. Gang violence, or even just plain old violence (no special designation necessary) will never go away for as long as there are living people. It comes from within, on a whim.

Traffic accidents? How do you deal with something that is accidental? By definition it cannot be anticipated.

The point is, you don't approach lawmaking with some sort of hierarchy of importance. You don't legislate all the big stuff, then move down to the medium-sized stuff and finish up with the little stuff. It just doesn't work that way. Thank God. Nothing would ever get done. There would be endless arguing about what qualifies as what.

You legislate based on when the issue comes up, and people are sick of having to inhale others' toxic crap just because they decide to step out into public and either have a beer or go watch a game. People should have that freedom. You have the freedom to smoke. No one is taking that away. They're just forcing you to be responsible and respectful while doing so because obviously you can't do that on your own.

Pubs and bars have existed pretty much forever. At least since alcohol was invented, and people realized that home life and nagging spouses were boring as fuck sometimes. Smoking within those pubs and bars is a very new occurence. So I don't really get the whole "never take smoking out of bars" argument. It belongs there? No. People drinking belong there. Go the fuck outside if you want to experiment with breathing carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, urethane, etc.

zengirl said:
Well sure, but for a time there was also overwhelming medical evidence to support the fact that eggs were bad for you... and then that was retracted to say they were good for you. Then another study showed that alcohol was poison to the system, and then another study showed that one to two drinks a day actually lowered blood pressure and helped prevent heart disease. Now pregnant women aren't supposed to eat tuna, eggs, caffeine, and many other common food items which have been dietary staples for centuries. It boggles the mind that after generations, right now, all of a sudden these things are detrimental to health. Suprising that we aren't extinct yet.
Just to nitpick...

Tuna shouldn't be eaten cause we have polluted the oceans with mercury.

And I doubt caffine has been a dietary staple for centuries. And again, common sense would say that speed is bad for a developing fetus.

fly said:
Just to nitpick...

Tuna shouldn't be eaten cause we have polluted the oceans with mercury.

And I doubt caffine has been a dietary staple for centuries. And again, common sense would say that speed is bad for a developing fetus.

the seafood thing? i can see some validity there. they usually say stay away from bottom-dwellers. and the mercury is accurate.

the caffeine thing? depends on what you read. caffeine has been around a long time. my midwife told me that a little bit won't hurt you. you shouldn't have more than two cups of coffee a day. it's probably WISE to stay away from it, but here and there shouldn't be a problem.

there are a LOT of pregnancy no nos out there. i think you just have to use common sense when choosing your diet. it shouldn't be that hard to stay away from anything that probably isn't going to be effective in growing a fetus. however, if you do have to splurge sometimes, don't let it affect your perspective. after all, doing and/or NOT doing things STILL doesn't guarantee a healthy baby. anything can happen, and if it does, i don't see how you can spend the rest of your life wondering if it was that one tuna sandwich you ate, so long as you made the best decisions you could while pregnant.

i ate some tuna, deli meat, a small glass of champagne and a small glass of red wine while pregnant. my daughter's two, can spell her first and last name, can identify all letters and some phonics, can count to thirty unassisted, can write her name, and mine, and daddy's, can share with friends, has bad moods, tells me she loves me, cries when falling down, gets up and dusts her hands off, loves blue's clues and ice cream, eats salad but not hot dogs, and is the cutest damn thing you'll ever see.
i think i had a good balance while making choices in pregnancy. i also think i was damn lucky, and Someone Else had a little hand in making her perfectly. in the end, so long as we're wise in making choices, the rest is up to Someone Else.

random factoid to throw in the thread: there is evidence that women smoked pot to ease the pains of child birth as far back as 10k years ago :cool:

ChikkenNoodul said:
My mom drank wine when she was pregnant with me *shrug*
AHA!

wait...that was so long ago, i'm sure your poor mother had NO idea. wasn't that before books and studies were invented? :fly: