When will it end?

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥3,706
I'll never understand what's behind this sudden crusade to rid the world of cigarettes. Why aren't cigars, dip, and all other tobacco products being targeted?

Personally, as an ex-smoker I could care less who smokes what and where they do it. I guess I can see banning smoking in restaurants but not in bars/clubs, and I certainly can't see a reason to ban cigs themselves. I love it when the policitians/lobbyists try and "fix" the world.

What are you all's viewpoints on banning cigs and stuff? Am I the only one who sees this as being wrong?

Elk Grove eyes ban on selling cigarettes

By Richard Wronski, Tribune staff reporter. Freelance reporters Mark Shuman, Dean Geroulis and Carolyn Rusin contributed to this report
Published January 12, 2006

Worried that measures to limit smoking don't go far enough, Elk Grove Village officials are considering banning the sale of cigarettes, apparently the first time that has been seriously proposed in Illinois, experts said.

Mayor Craig Johnson said the village would be hypocritical to consider a current proposal to restrict smoking in bars and restaurants without going after cigarettes themselves.

"If we think smoking is so detrimental to the community that we should ban it, then we should think about a ban on selling cigarettes," Johnson said Wednesday after formally proposing the idea Tuesday to the Village Board.

Illinois law prohibits the sale of cigarettes to anyone under 18. Experts were unaware of any community prohibiting their sale completely, although proposals had been considered--and rejected--in Winthrop, Mass., and in the Indiana House of Representatives in 1997.

Elk Grove Village's proposal came as Des Plaines and Park Ridge considered tighter limits Wednesday on smoking in public places. In Chicago, most public places are to become smoke-free Monday.

Des Plaines officials rejected a ban on smoking in restaurants and public buildings, citing little support.

"My wife won't allow smoking in my house, and she has a lot more sway than government agencies," said Brian Burkross, one of about 45 residents and restaurant owners and managers who spoke against restricting smoking.

On Wednesday night, the Park Ridge City Council's Procedures and Regulations Committee recommended adoption of an ordinance banning smoking in all public buildings. The ordinance is expected to go to the City Council on Jan. 23.

If approved, it would go into effect in 60 days. Bar areas of restaurants would have six months to implement the ban. Stand-alone bars are not allowed in Park Ridge.

"This is more than an annoyance, this is a health issue," said Ald. Kirke Machon.

The proposal drew little opposition, with only three of the city's roughly 100 food-service establishments represented. Owners of those restaurants sought to have their bar areas exempted from the ordinance.

Machon said his research turned up no adverse economic effects from smoking bans in other communities.

Wednesday's actions were spurred by a new state law effective Jan. 1 that opened the way for more communities to enact tougher restrictions on public smoking.

Last month, Deerfield passed an ordinance banning smoking in public places and workspaces, which advocates call the toughest in the country.

Although municipalities receive significant revenue from cigarette sales, Johnson said, "People should start waking up and stop worrying about collecting taxes off cigarettes and do what is right."

Five years ago, Elk Grove Village became the first community in Illinois and the second in the nation to require all people--no matter their age--to show identification when purchasing liquor.

Johnson said the policy has successfully eliminated the problem of underage alcohol purchases.

Officials with the American Lung Association and the Illinois Coalition Against Tobacco welcomed the Elk Grove Village proposal, saying they were unaware of any other community banning cigarette sales.

"It's heartening to see a community say they won't have anything to do with the sale of cigarettes," said Janet Williams, spokeswoman for the coalition.

Merchants are likely to fight being told what they can or cannot sell, said Rob Karr, vice president of the Illinois Retail Merchants Association.

Elk Grove Village officials will consider the cigarette-sale ban and a restriction on public smoking during a series of meetings starting Wednesday.

"This is a legitimate product, like it or not," Karr said. "Where does this stop? There's a myriad of products that can be abused. Twinkies, ice cream, all to a certain amount are not good for you. Is the next step in the obesity battle a ban on the sale of ice cream?"

Stanley Magnuszewski, owner of Turner Liquors at Turner Avenue and Arlington Heights Road, said banning cigarette sales would hurt his business.

"Pretty soon the government will dictate what you can eat," he said. "As long as they are making them, we should be able to sell them."

I'm glad they are banned in Resteraunts but don't have a big problem with people doing them in bars or clubs.

One reason people are pushing for them being banned is it helps cause a rise in health insurance cost.

I wish cigars were banned except Cigar Bars becuase it smells like someone is smoking a Turd. Every time I go to an outdoor festival their is some asshole puffing away on one gagging everyone around them.

b_sinning said:
I'm glad they are banned in Resteraunts but don't have a big problem with people doing them in bars or clubs.

One reason people are pushing for them being banned is it helps cause a rise in health insurance cost.

actually it decreases health care costs because the insurance companies don't and can't keep them propped up and 1/2 alive until 90

Obviously, the city officals of Elk Grove Village have already solved all their local crime, education, pollution and homeless problems, so now they are just looking for something to keep themselves busy with.

b_sinning said:
I wish cigars were banned except Cigar Bars becuase it smells like someone is smoking a Turd. Every time I go to an outdoor festival their is some asshole puffing away on one gagging everyone around them.
Cheap cigars smell disgusting, the good ones aren't all that bad unless you're in a confined space.

But I'll agree, I'm not going to be puffing on one at a crowded venue outdoors. It's just not polite.

I think this smoking thing is total bullshit. If companies want to exclude smokers from their health care plans, fine. If businesses want to no allow smoking in their establishments, fine. But knock off the fucking legislation.

The government shouldn't have to wipe your ass and take care of your kids.

b_sinning said:
I missaid that. Smoking leads to cancer and cancer treatment costs a lot.
Everything leads to cancer. Breathing the air can lead to cancer, standing too close to the microwave causes cancer, watching TV will make you go blind, masturbation will cause hairy palms and/or make you go blind, swimming in the ocean can cause cancer, smog around all major cities causes cancer, ozone warning days cause cancer.....

fly said:
I think this smoking thing is total bullshit. If companies want to exclude smokers from their health care plans, fine. If businesses want to no allow smoking in their establishments, fine. But knock off the fucking legislation.

The government shouldn't have to wipe your ass and take care of your kids.

I agree my libertarian Brother. I believe like Chikken. Dem's suck a hair more than repub.s lately.

CletusJones said:
Everything leads to cancer. Breathing the air can lead to cancer, standing too close to the microwave causes cancer, watching TV will make you go blind, masturbation will cause hairy palms and/or make you go blind, swimming in the ocean can cause cancer, smog around all major cities causes cancer, ozone warning days cause cancer.....
Don't forget cancer treatments, cancer surveillance, and cancer itself - those all cause cancer too :lol:

pa said:
population control..

I smoke, and even i like that we can't do it in resteraunts anymore.
with today's healthcare the theory of "survival of the fittest" no longer applies. Besides, banning cigs doesn't control the population.

Here in Ottawa, all restaurants and bars/clubs are smoke-free. The bar part was argued and resisted for quite a while, but it works well now. It's nice to go out to a bar and not come home with my clothes reeking of smoke.