When Sub-Contractors Attack

lemon_fresh

Half-staff Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥5
Had a sub-contractor doing a little cabling job for me earlier in the week. Of course, said sub, manages to crack the glass top of the f'ing huge conference table by throwing some of his gear down on the table. Guesstimates so far on replacement, $700-$1200, whoo hoo. My take for that job $325. Sigh...

Me - Fuck
Cabling Guy - I didn't do it.
Owner - Somebody, other than me, is paying for this.

Content - Has a sub-contractor or subordinate ever broken something and left with out telling you? Has a sub-contractor or subordinate ever cost you any money outside of what you had to pay them? Give examples

My cabling guys broke several ceiling tiles in our office when we were building it out. I've since replaced their services, but continue to find stupid mistakes made by them all over the place.

KNYTE said:
My cabling guys broke several ceiling tiles in our office when we were building it out. I've since replaced their services, but continue to find stupid mistakes made by them all over the place.

The thing is, this cabling company does exemplary work. I have had them do several jobs over the last few years and have found very few mistakes. For example, at the newspaper building, they ran over a hundred drops for me, I think I had to redo one voice drop and it just needed to be punched down again.
Plus they have great prices, certainly not the cheapest, but always competive.

Drool-Boy said:
See? Shoulda hired monkeys.

No, no monkeys. They fling poo dontcha know. So I would have had a broken glass top and a cleaning bill. No thank you.

fucking monkeys....

lemon_fresh said:
No, no monkeys. They fling poo dontcha know. So I would have had a broken glass top and a cleaning bill. No thank you.

fucking monkeys....

*witty reference to the monkeys on Madagascar*

fly said:
so wait...

you're out the cash for this table???

Me, fuck no. I didn't break shit. I'm just stuck in the middle is all. It's my parking guys, I don't wanna piss them off as they are good for nice chunk of change every month.

lemon_fresh said:
Me, fuck no. I didn't break shit. I'm just stuck in the middle is all. It's my parking guys, I don't wanna piss them off as they are good for nice chunk of change every month.
uhhh...

If you piss them off, you may wake up with a horse head in your bed.

My dad's company is having a problem with Verizon. The guy ran 14 feet of cable up to a million and a half dollar home and ran it inside through one of the master bedroom closets. Then he found that there was no outlet in the closet and punched a large hole (roughly 6"x6") in the interior wall so he could plug the battery back-up in through the master bedroom. We've filed formal complaints, but so far nobody's going to reimburse.

I'm down to one cabling guy at the moment. So I worked out a deal so the electricians pull the wire and my guy terminates it. I'll hire a few more guys and still making the electricans pull the wire and my guys bring in the fiber and do the terminations on internal cabling. So my budget vs time will look awesome and my guys stay happy. The electricans will be unhappy but they always look unhappy anyways.