whats the best laptop

IBM or Toshiba

I have a Toshiba M20, I am REALLY happy with it at the moment too.

Useless and only slightly relevant factoid:
The crews of the International Space Station use a modified IBM A31-P laptop.
They are used for command and control of the station, as well as situational awareness and personal applications.

These replaced the IBM 760XD laptops about a year ago.

As you were.

Edit: No, you weren't replaced, that was more of a "go back to doing what you were doing" sort of "as you were", just in case anyone was confused.

ibm just makes great laptops. but be ready to pay a lot, and don't expect to play games.

it all depends on what you want. i'm a Dell whore myself, and i love my 9100. it's a bit heavy, but it plays UT2K4 and CoD just fine, as well as being quiet enough to take notes in class ($1,600). look at their 600M if you want a lighter solution without as much graphics power.

i've heard of some issues with their hardware, but they've mostly been on 1100s and some of the cheaper ones. i've rarely seen anything come up on the 600M/8600/9100 series.

I.C.Water said:
no game probobly pretty much just photoshop work
take a look at this.

i'd set up the system he wants (it should probably be pretty beefy for intensive ps work, light and sexy if just simple stuff) and take $750 off.

<edit> i just put together a 600M with a mobile 1.6Ghz (comp to 2.4Ghz P4), 1GB RAM, 60GB hd, a case, and an extra battery for $1,742. take $750 off, and you're under a grand. </edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Mondoz said:
Useless and only slightly relevant factoid:
The crews of the International Space Station use a modified IBM A31-P laptop.
They are used for command and control of the station, as well as situational awareness and personal applications.

These replaced the IBM 760XD laptops about a year ago.

As you were.

Edit: No, you weren't replaced, that was more of a "go back to doing what you were doing" sort of "as you were", just in case anyone was confused.

Ive actually used some of the laptops that go up and are used to run experiments.
Anyone else would use the fucking things as doorstops.

Kabn said:
take a look at this.

i'd set up the system he wants (it should probably be pretty beefy for intensive ps work, light and sexy if just simple stuff) and take $750 off.

<edit> i just put together a 600M with a mobile 1.6Ghz (comp to 2.4Ghz P4), 1GB RAM, 60GB hd, a case, and an extra battery for $1,742. take $750 off, and you're under a grand. </edit>

thats damm cool thanks :D

edit: if thats legit he could get a damm kick ass system in his price range

Last edited:
Yah I can

www.ibm.com/shop/epp

You can order directly through the website. Charge it to your card and have shipped to wherever you want.

edit: PM me for login

I.C.Water said:
is there a place to buy ibm thats cheaper than ibm.com?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly ... I tell people about it if they are looking for a deal and you asked.

edit: Yes I do work for IBM

why_ask_why said:
it says it's also for family and friends;)