What'll W do when he hears about these guys?

shawndavid

Are you wanting making fuck berserker?
http://www.jrn.columbia.edu/studentwork/cns/2002-06-10/591.asp

They're in love. They're gay. They're penguins... And they're not alone.

By Cristina Cardoze

Wendell and Cass, two penguins at the New York Aquarium in Coney Island, Brooklyn, live in a soap opera world of seduction and intrigue. Among the 22 male and 10 female African black-footed penguins in the aquarium's exhibit, tales of love, lust and betrayal are the norm. These birds mate for life. But given the disproportionate male-female ratio at the aquarium, some of the females flirt profusely and dump their partners for single males with better nests.

Wendell and Cass, however, take no part in these cunning schemes. They have been completely devoted to each other for the last eight years. In fact, neither one of them has ever been with anyone else, says their keeper, Stephanie Mitchell.

But the partnership of Wendell and Cass adds drama in another way. They're both male. That is to say, they're gay penguins.

This is not unusual. "There are a lot of animals that have same-sex relations, it's just that people don't know about it," Mitchell said. "I mean, Joe Schmoe on the street is not someone who's read all sorts of biology books."

One particular book is helpful in this case. Bruce Bagemihl's "Biological Exuberance," published in 1999, documents homosexual behavior in more than 450 animal species. The list includes grizzly bears, gorillas, flamingos, owls and even several species of salmon.

"The world is, indeed, teeming with homosexual, bisexual and transgendered creatures of every stripe and feather," Bagemihl writes in the first page of his book. "From the Southeastern Blueberry Bee of the United States to more than 130 different bird species worldwide, the 'birds and the bees,' literally, are queer."

In New York, it's the penguins.

At the Central Park Zoo, Silo and Roy, two male Chinstrap penguins, have been in an exclusive relationship for four years. Last mating season, they even fostered an egg together.

"They got all excited when we gave them the egg," said Rob Gramzay, senior keeper for polar birds at the zoo. He took the egg from a young, inexperienced couple that hatched an extra and gave it to Silo and Roy. "And they did a really great job of taking care of the chick and feeding it."

Of the 53 penguins in the Central Park Zoo, Silo and Roy are not the only ones that are gay. In 1997, the park had four pairs of homosexual penguins. In an effort to increase breeding, zookeepers tried to separate them by force. They failed, said Gramzay.

Only one of the eight bonded with a female. The rest went back to same-sex relationships, not necessarily with the same partner. Silo and Roy, long-time homosexuals, got together (or pair-bonded, in official penguin lingo) after that failed experiment.

At the New York Aquarium, no one suspected Wendell and Cass were gay when they first bonded. Penguins don't have external sex organs, so visually there's no surefire way to tell whether they are male or female. But over time, people began to wonder.

In all the years they had been together, neither Wendell nor Cass laid an egg. This was unusual because the keepers knew they copulated regularly. They had often seen Wendell submit to Cass, the more dominating of the two. But one day, a keeper saw Wendell on top.
When penguins have sex, the female lies on her belly and the male climbs on top with his feet and puts his rump around her rump. Then their cloacas (sexual organs) meet, and the sperm is transferred into the female. It's called the cloacal kiss.

Wendell and Cass were clearly kissing both ways. So in 1999, the aquarium did a blood test to determine their gender. It proved they were both male.

Today, they are one of the best couples at the aquarium. "Sometimes they lie on the rocks together," Mitchell said. "They're one of the few couples that like to hang out together outside their nest."

Wendell and Cass have a highly coveted nest. During mating season, several other penguins have tried to steal it. Cass, a fierce fighter, kept them at bay. (Wendell, on the other hand, is "afraid of his own shadow," said Mitchell.)

The appeal of their nest is the location: high up, close to the water and the feeding station. Rumors that they keep the neatest nest at the aquarium because they're gay are not true.

"These are penguins," said Mitchell. "They poop in their nest. Nobody's got a clean nest."

dljcs0.gif

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...3.column?coll=chi-news-nav&ctrack=1&cset=true

Political penguin would know not to open its beak

Published September 14, 2005

While investigating the sexual politics of penguins and the hit movie "March of the Penguins," I discovered a startling penguin-related psychosexual development.

Even though the mainstream media have ignored this news, I am compelled to report it here, to you, today:

Roy and Silo, the two famous gay penguins at New York's Central Park Zoo, are no longer a pair. Silo has gone straight.

They broke up after six years together. Once, they were provided a donated egg. They sat on it and hatched it and this was celebrated as some kind of penguin lifestyle choice in the New York Times on Feb. 7, 2004, under the headline "The Love that Dare Not Squeak Its Name."

But that's so over.

These days, Silo has a girlfriend. And Roy? Well, lately he has been observed hanging around a few sexually immature penguins, but he has no real prospects. It seems Roy is a troubled penguin.

"Silo found a young female. Her name is Scrappy," Rob Gramzay, the zoo's senior penguin keeper, told me in a phone interview on Tuesday. "They had an egg. It didn't work out and they might try again."

And Roy?

"Roy didn't really find anybody. He hung out with a few birds, half of them were female, half were male," Gramzay said. "He's not in a nesting situation. It's more for camaraderie."

Were they really called gay penguins?

"A newspaper somewhere came up with it. The media called them gay penguins. We referred to them as a same-sex couple. But they're no longer together. They split up, although there are a few other same-sex groupings," he said.

You might think that penguins would be the least political of all animals, but guess again. They are so political that the Times--the paper of record when it comes to the sexual politics of penguins--has identified what to some liberals is a troubling phenomenon:

Conservative humans have apparently been flocking to "March of the Penguins," telling their friends to see it, extolling penguin family values.

This caused the Times to sniff loudly on Tuesday, in another penguin-related article, "March of the Conservatives: Penguin Film as Political Fodder."

Yet there was no mention in the story of Roy and Silo breaking up.

Still, conservatives were eager to please and provided many quotes to reinforce the theme that conservatives have turned the movie's "stirring depiction of the mating ordeals of emperor penguins into an unexpected battle anthem in the culture wars."

The film "most passionately affirms traditional norms like monogamy, sacrifice and child rearing," film critic and conservative talk-radio host Michael Medved was quoted as saying, adding that conservative audiences yearn for such themes.

"This is the first movie they've enjoyed since `The Passion of the Christ.' This is `The Passion of the Penguins.'"

The Passion of the Penguins? I don't know any penguins personally, but I still wouldn't make that comparison. And I've never felt that penguins exhibit much passion, either. Yes, they try to swim away from leopard seals, so they surely feel urgency. But passion?

They waddle and freeze and eat raw fish and blink while standing in the wind on frozen rocks, all the while stubbornly avoiding the essential questions: Who am I? Where am I going?

That is not passion. Yet what is interesting is a strange human passion--the determination to assign human emotions and attitudes to animals, and by extension, putting animals into political camps, whether it be the conservative family-values penguin camp or the liberal gay-penguins-can-adopt-too camp.

Conservatives aren't the only ones going to see the penguin movie. A liberal friend saw it the other day, after having been dragged there kicking and screaming by his wife and daughter, and decided he liked it.

"Liberals can find something in it too," he told me. "The male penguins take care of their children. They sit on the eggs for days and days. They don't complain that they're not allowed to drink a beer and watch the Bears game on TV. They just do their duty. It's quite humbling, actually."

Gramzay, 44, has been the senior penguin keeper at the Central Park Zoo since 1992, and he has worked with the penguins since 1988.

He is of the radical belief that penguins have no politics, either conservative or liberal, since they're penguins. Gramzay is amused by such talk, and we also discussed "Grizzly Man," a film about the fellow who hung around with wild bears and spoke of them as noble, friendly creatures, as brothers, until a noble brother ate him and his girlfriend in Alaska.

"I'm not into the politics," Gramzay said. "I like penguins, though, and the movie. It brought home a message that people can relate to animals having a difficult time in the wild. People use politics for whatever reason they want to use it. I look at things from a penguin's viewpoint."

"A Penguin's Viewpoint" sounds like another movie, or at least a TV show.