Whatever happen too..

Sarcasmo said:
I'm not pissed, I'm just saying. Direct and to the point is always best.

But to answer your question: Jake The American Dragon, Teen Titans, Powerpuff Girls (seriously, those little girls were talking shit one episode), Foster's Puffy Amiyumi, Totally Spies, What's New Scooby Doo, Naruto, and I'm sure many others. Those are just some off the top of my head. Characters everywhere have that typical wise-ass American youth way of talking now. Instead of trying to teach kids dignity and respect people sit back and say "What's the big deal? That's how all kids are. It's just a cartoon." Annoys the shit out of me.

Come to think of it, everything annoys the shit out of me. Maybe I'm just too high-strung. *shrug*

I entirely agree. I hate those shows as well.

If Bumblebee had mouthed off to Megatron, like the people in kids shows do these days, he would've gotten pimped-slapped and shot in the chest.

Sarcasmo said:

But to answer your question: Jake The American Dragon, Teen Titans, Powerpuff Girls (seriously, those little girls were talking shit one episode), Foster's Puffy Amiyumi, Totally Spies, What's New Scooby Doo, Naruto, and I'm sure many others. Those are just some off the top of my head. Characters everywhere have that typical wise-ass American youth way of talking now. Instead of trying to teach kids dignity and respect people sit back and say "What's the big deal? That's how all kids are. It's just a cartoon." Annoys the shit out of me.

Come to think of it, everything annoys the shit out of me. Maybe I'm just too high-strung. *shrug*

Okay... now what's an example of what you'd consider a cartoon character talking shit?

Though I can agree with you on some episodes of Fosters. It's one thing for Bloo to frequently behave badly, but there are a couple where he behaves badly and there are no consequences for his actions.

I can't think of any examples from PPG, which I've watched a lot. I also can't think of anything from Teen Titans. I'm not a huge fan of that show, but there's a few episodes that I've really enjoyed. There's even one episode where the villan is some sort of uber fanboy who does the Starwars Kid routine-- complete with slipping on the yellow rag.

The rest I don't watch/ never heard of.

Sarcasmo said:

We have friends who have 2 young daughters and the big thing for them now are those "Brats" dolls. The name alone should tell you something.

http://www.bratzpack.com/index.asp?...edia=&urltemplate=electro&urlsection=products

I dunno about you but this isn't my barbie

itburnswhenipee said:
?!

Words like fat?! Jumping jesus on a pogo-stick lady, what the fuck kind of sterile fishtank are you trying to raise your children in? How the hell is the word 'fat' vulgar?

calm down. obviously we aren't going to agree here, which is fine. i'm not trying to raise my child in a sterile fish tank. i'm trying to slowly introduce her into the world. the word "fat" is not vulgar. calling somebody a stupid fat boy is, and i don't have to subject my toddler to that quite yet. she's going to see it at some point. i'm trying to get to the point where she understands where it's wrong to call people names. right now she doesn't understand that. it's not time to introduce these things into her world because she doesn't understand them yet.
i'm hoping she'll be around for many more years. what's the point in flooding her little brain with everything all at once, just because it's the REAL WORLD?

people are so quick to point fingers at parents and say "don't keep your children from the real world. this is the real world, you can't hide them from it forever. they'll be so naive if you keep the real world from them." what many don't understand is that children aren't people yet. they're trying to be, but they're born not even knowing how to focus their eyes. their brains aren't mature yet...they have to learn how to do everything...their senses have to develop. their synapses have to connect and click. they cannot process everything that adults can. just because it's the real world does not mean that i have to subject her to it because she's in it.
i know i'm in a minority, but i'm trying so hard to be a patient, guiding, responsible parent. i know many don't understand that, and that's why i'm a minority. it's not going to make me change my parenting styles because someone doesn't understand. i'm a good parent.

Thorn Bird said:
calm down. obviously we aren't going to agree here, which is fine. i'm not trying to raise my child in a sterile fish tank. i'm trying to slowly introduce her into the world. the word "fat" is not vulgar. calling somebody a stupid fat boy is, and i don't have to subject my toddler to that quite yet. she's going to see it at some point. i'm trying to get to the point where she understands where it's wrong to call people names. right now she doesn't understand that. it's not time to introduce these things into her world because she doesn't understand them yet.
i'm hoping she'll be around for many more years. what's the point in flooding her little brain with everything all at once, just because it's the REAL WORLD?

people are so quick to point fingers at parents and say "don't keep your children from the real world. this is the real world, you can't hide them from it forever. they'll be so naive if you keep the real world from them." what many don't understand is that children aren't people yet. they're trying to be, but they're born not even knowing how to focus their eyes. their brains aren't mature yet...they have to learn how to do everything...their senses have to develop. their synapses have to connect and click. they cannot process everything that adults can. just because it's the real world does not mean that i have to subject her to it because she's in it.
i know i'm in a minority, but i'm trying so hard to be a patient, guiding, responsible parent. i know many don't understand that, and that's why i'm a minority. it's not going to make me change my parenting styles because someone doesn't understand. i'm a good parent.

I'm right there with you. It may be the reality of our society that most people act like mindless, uncivilized assmonkeys, but that doesn't mean I'm going to abandon my own child to that ridiculous fate. He'll choose his own path in the end, but for now I can still give all of those people the finger.

Thorn Bird said:
calm down. obviously we aren't going to agree here, which is fine. i'm not trying <snip>

Fair enough. I just happen to think that 'fat' isn't a word that requires metering. I mean, if a little kid says, "Mommy, that person is fat," while pointing at someone who is, indeed, fat I really can't see the foul.

I guess my other point is that if you just change the words used to express ugly thoughts you're really not accomplishing a damn thing.

itburnswhenipee said:
Fair enough. I just happen to think that 'fat' isn't a word that requires metering. I mean, if a little kid says, "Mommy, that person is fat," while pointing at someone who is, indeed, fat I really can't see the foul.

I guess my other point is that if you just change the words used to express ugly thoughts you're really not accomplishing a damn thing.
I think she means turning an otherwise descriptive word into that used to insult, belittle or assult someone else.

As Zen said, Thorn's goal is to avoid teaching her daughter to verbally bash other children (which is nothing but an admirable goal), and cited "fat" as a common example from SpongeBob.

zengirl said:
I think she means turning an otherwise descriptive word into that used to insult, belittle or assult someone else.

we've got a winner, here!! :D i don't have a problem with adjectives, but i do not want them used in a despiteful, hurtful manner. that's what comes across to me when a four-year-old calls another kid a big fat stupid head. it's ugly.

same as i feel it's not appropriate for a kid to say shut up. have you ever heard a kid say that? ugh. there's no need. now, if a teen says shut up to another teen, it's not so bad, right? it's because there's a difference in ages and knowledge. well, there SHOULD be.

you have to teach young kids how to make good decisions and the consequences of bad decisions. then they become old enough to distinguish and make their own decisions. also, as kids become older, the things that were soooo important to them when they were three is trivial when they're 13.

it's all a learning process. i think adults forget or don't know that. it's amazing what you suddenly see when you're a parent. they're things you never thought twice about until seeing them through the eyes of a two-year-old. and it's a learning process for everyone.

Thorn Bird said:
we've got a winner, here!! :D i don't have a problem with adjectives, but i do not want them used in a despiteful, hurtful manner. that's what comes across to me when a four-year-old calls another kid a big fat stupid head. it's ugly.

same as i feel it's not appropriate for a kid to say shut up. have you ever heard a kid say that? ugh. there's no need. now, if a teen says shut up to another teen, it's not so bad, right? it's because there's a difference in ages and knowledge. well, there SHOULD be.

you have to teach young kids how to make good decisions and the consequences of bad decisions. then they become old enough to distinguish and make their own decisions. also, as kids become older, the things that were soooo important to them when they were three is trivial when they're 13.

it's all a learning process. i think adults forget or don't know that. it's amazing what you suddenly see when you're a parent. they're things you never thought twice about until seeing them through the eyes of a two-year-old. and it's a learning process for everyone.
I agree with your philosophy.

Too many times parents fall into the trap of thinking, "Oh isn't it cute" when their kid says a curse word or something derrogitory before they actually understand what it means, but it's more than cute, it's sad. It's sad that this is what a young child is learning in his most formative years, and sadder still that his parents find it comical and not tragic.

Then the parents wonder what happened to the kid when, at 15, they're disrespectful, hateful and rude.

zengirl said:
I agree with your philosophy.

Too many times parents fall into the trap of thinking, "Oh isn't it cute" when their kid says a curse word or something derrogitory before they actually understand what it means, but it's more than cute, it's sad. It's sad that this is what a young child is learning in his most formative years, and sadder still that his parents find it comical and not tragic.

Then the parents wonder what happened to the kid when, at 15, they're disrespectful, hateful and rude.

that's the thing. a child IS cute when, at two, she says "dammit" because she heard it from daddy and has no idea what it means. and the parents laugh. it happens. the problem is when she keeps saying it because everyone laughs and laughs at it. the parents don't stop the behavior. then the behavior continues. all of a sudden, the five-year-old is saying "dammit" and the parents are frustrated and angry. the child is confused because it's been ok for years, and now she's getting in trouble. but it's also provoking an angry reaction, which is just as intriguing as a positive reaction.
laugh at the two-year-old behind a magazine, then tell her that that's not a nice word.
it's just parenting. it really is. parenting is a CONSTANT guiding process. you are developing a child's mind. a child's decision-making processes. a child's judgement skills. a child's emotional health. a child's mental health. i'm not a bit sorry that i take that very, very seriously, and that i will bend over backwards to see that I do my job to the best of my ablilities. that includes monitoring what my child listens/watches/absorbs while she's training her brain.

Thorn Bird said:
that's the thing. a child IS cute when, at two, she says "dammit" because she heard it from daddy and has no idea what it means. and the parents laugh. it happens. the problem is when she keeps saying it because everyone laughs and laughs at it. the parents don't stop the behavior. then the behavior continues. all of a sudden, the five-year-old is saying "dammit" and the parents are frustrated and angry. the child is confused because it's been ok for years, and now she's getting in trouble. but it's also provoking an angry reaction, which is just as intriguing as a positive reaction.
laugh at the two-year-old behind a magazine, then tell her that that's not a nice word.
it's just parenting. it really is. parenting is a CONSTANT guiding process. you are developing a child's mind. a child's decision-making processes. a child's judgement skills. a child's emotional health. a child's mental health. i'm not a bit sorry that i take that very, very seriously, and that i will bend over backwards to see that I do my job to the best of my ablilities. that includes monitoring what my child listens/watches/absorbs while she's training her brain.

Ethan and his cousin Jacob were playing together this weekend, and Ethan picked up this bouncy ball and clocked Jacob in the head with it while his back was turned. It went ricocheting off the wall and ceiling and took off into the other room somewhere. Jacob just looks back at Ethan with this annoyed look and says "What the hell?" He's 4 and Ethan's 3, so it was fucking hilarious. My brother-in-law and I had to go in the kitchen and bust out laughing where they wouldn't see us.

It's funny because kids are like sponges. They're little monkeys whose only real means of communication is imitation. I agree with you that when you look at it like that it's very funny and very cute, especially when it plays out exactly as it would between two adults, complete with facial expressions and dialogue.

Last edited:
Sarcasmo said:
Ethan and his cousin Jacob were playing together this weekend, and Ethan picked up this bouncy ball and clocked Jacob in the head with it while his back was turned. It went ricocheting off the wall and ceiling and took off into the other room somewhere. Jacob just looks back at Ethan with this annoyed look and says "What the hell?" He's 4 and Ethan's 3, so it was fucking hilarious. My brother-in-law and I had to go in the kitchen and bust out laughing where they wouldn't see us.

It's funny because kids are like sponges. They're little monkeys whose only real means of communication is imitation. I agree with you that when you look at it like that it's very funny and very cute, especially when it plays out exactly as it would between two adults, complete with facial expressions and dialogue.
I like the name Jacob

Sarcasmo said:

If swear words didnt' roll of the tongue so smoothly, and had the ability to mesh together with ANY engrish word, then i dont' think kids would woant to repeat it so much...

hee hee

kids are funny

Last edited:
I'm not a parent, and therefore I have absolutely no idea how tough of a job this is. That being said, what I'm gathering from this is that if a little kid says "What the hell?" it's cute and funny and wrong, but if an adult says it, it's okay. Why is it bad for the kid to say it then? I think we as a society get offended by words too easily. They are just words, letters put together. The meaning that we all put behind them is the problem. We are the ones giving these words power. They have no power themselves. I think we should take this power away and stop being so offended.

That being said, I certainly hope that my kids don't grow up to be offensive, smart mouthed idiots, so as long as society is as it is, I'll have to keep my kids from learning bad behaviors. I never took Spongebob as an appropriate tv show for a 2 year old, but I think by the time a child is 5 or 6 it is much easier to explain to the child the difference in between real life and a cartoon as well as what is and is not appropriate behavior in public.

eileenbunny said:
I'm not a parent, and therefore I have absolutely no idea how tough of a job this is. That being said, what I'm gathering from this is that if a little kid says "What the hell?" it's cute and funny and wrong, but if an adult says it, it's okay. Why is it bad for the kid to say it then? I think we as a society get offended by words too easily. They are just words, letters put together. The meaning that we all put behind them is the problem. We are the ones giving these words power. They have no power themselves. I think we should take this power away and stop being so offended.

That being said, I certainly hope that my kids don't grow up to be offensive, smart mouthed idiots, so as long as society is as it is, I'll have to keep my kids from learning bad behaviors. I never took Spongebob as an appropriate tv show for a 2 year old, but I think by the time a child is 5 or 6 it is much easier to explain to the child the difference in between real life and a cartoon as well as what is and is not appropriate behavior in public.

Everything we know and observe is because our society says so. Why call a tree a tree? Why say yellow or blue or car or boat? Why do we all recognize money? Why does fuck have a bad meaning? Because we say so. That having been said, it's never "okay" per se when an adult swears. Swearing by definition is something we shouldn't do because of its offensive nature. It's simply permitted by adults in some situations because we understand that adults are (in general), responsible and aware of the repercussions of their actions. They should by outside the realm of necessitated guidance at that point.

But if you were in church and someone stumbled in repeating "fuck shit ass bitch cunt fuck" etc. over and over I think you would feel a sense that they should stop immediately if not sooner. Most people would. Thus it isn't "okay".

eileenbunny said:

i agree with you on both points. however, regardless of how silly it is that people get offended by them, the fact remains that they do. so the words are offensive. so no one needs to say them. i don't think it's ok for adults to say them, but they are making their choices. it still is ugly sounding, and people use them in that manner.
how do you stop something that has been the way it has been for i don't know how long? you can't. and why stop it? what's the harm in the fact that there are bad words? there just are. it makes no sense, but so what? they're there, learn not to say them. they ARE just words. let some be vulgar and wrong and inappropriate. the fact that they are doesn't stop anyone from saying them, either. (this argument can be done over and over, with each side winning each time.)

and the spongebob thing was my point, too. most everything on tv should be age-appropriate for the party in question. that's the way i feel about most everything in the world. there's a lot of crap out there, whether i like it or not, regardless of how i feel. it's a matter of trying to raise a little brain into knowing the differences between right and wrong, appropriate and not, vulgar or polite, etc etc etc...that way, when i do introduce all the crap, she'll know how to interpret it.

Sarcasmo said:
Everything we know and observe is because our society says so. Why call a tree a tree? Why say yellow or blue or car or boat? Why do we all recognize money? Why does fuck have a bad meaning? Because we say so. That having been said, it's never "okay" per se when an adult swears. Swearing by definition is something we shouldn't do because of its offensive nature. It's simply permitted by adults in some situations because we understand that adults are (in general), responsible and aware of the repercussions of their actions. They should by outside the realm of necessitated guidance at that point.

But if you were in church and someone stumbled in repeating "fuck shit ass bitch cunt fuck" etc. over and over I think you would feel a sense that they should stop immediately if not sooner. Most people would. Thus it isn't "okay".

:heart:

Sarcasmo said:

My point was that we don't HAVE to give the power to these words that we do. I'm personally not offended by most of them ever. I am offended when someone insults someone else out of spite, so I can see some of the earlier points in this thread. I just don't see how a cartoon can be so horrid as to change a child completely as long as the cartoon is age appropriate. I remember watching racist and offensive Loony Toons as a kid, but that doesn't mean that I'm racist or that I think Nazis are great.

Also, if I were in church and someone came in and said "fuck shit ass bitch cunt fuck", I'd probably think it was hillarious. That's just me though. I don't personally put much stock in church.