Sp`ange

Flaccid Member
Nov 19, 2004
33.745091, -84.390205
www.uselessforums.com
Marklar
₥0
Whatever happened to..

.. prizes in cereal. not some bs you have to send UPC codes and s&h for.. I'm talkin' about the submarines you put baking soda in.. the squids you could throw on a window and they'd roll down. the decoder rings.. the tattoos.. all that crap..

.. boss keys in games.. in the old days, almost all PC games had a boss key. one button and BAM! fake spread sheet. ALT-TAB works ok, but that's no fun.

what small things do you guys miss? [insert sarcasmo joke here]

Last edited:
Naw man... it totally depends on the kind of game you're playing.

But still. I think they still give premiums in cereal boxes... it's just that it's changed. Instead of baking soda fired submarines or poor imitations of transformers they distribute CD media or some such.

What ever happened to all the good saturday morning cartoons? Used to be I could start at 7am with scooby doo, then finish up around 11am with some roadrunner action, and all kinds of spiffy shit in between.
Now its all merchandise cartoons and the kids version of trading spaces:wtf:

Drool-Boy said:
What ever happened to all the good saturday morning cartoons? Used to be I could start at 7am with scooby doo, then finish up around 11am with some roadrunner action, and all kinds of spiffy shit in between.

it only lasts like an hour.

I guess because there's Nick, Disney & CN now.

InnerMuse said:
10 cents for a pack of BubbleYum and 5 cents for Sixlets. I know of only one place in the Bay Area that sells Sixlets.

Definitely, I love sixlets. The same goes for chic-o-sticks.

I also miss penny candys. We used to be able to go down to the local gas station with a dollar and totally clean up on penny candys.

kiwi said:
...I also miss penny candys. We used to be able to go down to the local gas station with a dollar and totally clean up on penny candys.

We did that too. I once took my toothfairy money to the gas station to get candy. Oooh, and the Cowtails. They fooled me into thinking they were like the creamcicles. Boy was I surprised.

2 more for you...

The original Johnny Quest and Muppets in movies instead of CGI. Frank and Jim are my heroes.

Last edited:
What ever happened to cool kids shows?

When we were kids we had Transformers, GI Joe, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Now everything is wannabe-anime crap where every show involves skinny, big eyed wierdos running around catching crazy looking puffy creatures.

(Correctly punctuated for those who would correct my typing for sake of argument.)

What happened to manners?
What happened to correct grammar? Correct English?
What happened to etiquette?
What happened to recess at school?

Thorn Bird said:
(Correctly punctuated for those who would correct my typing for sake of argument.)

What happened to manners?
What happened to correct grammar? Correct English?
What happened to etiquette?
What happened to recess at school?
TV and Internet for the first 3.

I had "recess" twice a day at grammar school, and also study time of 3 hours.

Drool-Boy said:
++

Drool-Boy said:

They don't have any original "american" cartoons any more like scooby and bugs. Now its all just ripped off from the japanese! Probably so they can make card games for every show. Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, etc.., etc.., etc...

Pogosuzy said:
They don't have any original "american" cartoons any more like scooby and bugs. Now its all just ripped off from the japanese! Probably so they can make card games for every show. Pokemon, Yu-gi-oh, etc.., etc.., etc...

I disagree. There are several clever, original cartoons that, even if some have anime inspired features, aren't anime ripoffs. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Spongebob Squarepants, Fairly OddParents, and My Life As A Teenage Robot all come to mind. They are, however, all on CN or Nickelodeon.

itburnswhenipee said:
I disagree. There are several clever, original cartoons that, even if some have anime inspired features, aren't anime ripoffs. Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Spongebob Squarepants, Fairly OddParents, and My Life As A Teenage Robot all come to mind. They are, however, all on CN or Nickelodeon.

Good to know! :) It would be a shame to see a generation of kids not grow up with quality american cartoons, or not know who bugs bunny was.

I didn't mean to say that I think anime and japanese cartoons are bad either. I'm a big anime fan myself. Anime as saturday morning cartoons isn't new either, I remember watching Voltron and Starblazers as a kid, without any idea that they were japanese.