What would you do differently?

kiwi said:
Yes, we will have a gas stove and a gas dryer.
you're not gonna believe this - i'm so preoccupied with the current hike in gasoline that I read gas and thought of gasoline, not gas as in gas hahahahhah - that's why I said biiiiiiiiiillssss :lol:

elpmis said:
you drop small wood pellets in to it, and it heats your room by burning them - no gas required

pelletstove.JPG
The pellets are tough to find in the northeast with the cost of oil, it may not be as bad out west

They are nice though, only require a small hole in the wall - no chimney.

Some of them have automatic feeders that hold several bags so you can leave for a day or two and not worry

Corn stoves also do the same thing IIRC

elpmis said:
have you ever considered getting certified as a real estate inspector? If you knew somebody that's a real estate agent he could spread your card around - those guys make $250-$400 an inspection and do like 4 to 5 houses a day :eek:
even if you did it as a side job, say on the weekends

say you did 2 houses on the weekend, just for "kicks"

you would be making roughly $425 extra a week, $850 bi-weekly

that's $22,000 some dollars in addition to your current salary (not counting taxes)

just a thought

---

the dude that 'inspected' the house I bought in december pulled up in a SL 55 AMG

ChikkenNoodul said:
Not put a jacuzzi in the master bath, hardly used the damn thing, would've been more cost-effective to put a real hot tub out on the deck

I agree with everything else you've said except this. I guess it comes down to what kind of a bather you are. It is the one thing I really regret that we didn't do in this house. We take so many baths and the standard sized bath tub sucks a lot. The jets would be really nice too. I've lived in a house with a real hot tub outside and it wasn't used very much.

My thoughts on building a house:

I always need more electrical outlets in the bathroom.
Not having a coat closet sucks.
First floor laundry rocks.
Vinyl flooring isn't that bad if you need to cut costs.
Hard wood is awesome everywhere you can afford it.
Get twice the water heater you think you will need.
Wire for a ceiling fan in every room you can.
We use the gas fireplace 10x as much as a wood burning one.
I wish I had a backsplash in my kitchen.
I always want more storage space.

ChikkenNoodul said:
The pellets are tough to find in the northeast with the cost of oil, it may not be as bad out west

They are nice though, only require a small hole in the wall - no chimney.

Some of them have automatic feeders that hold several bags so you can leave for a day or two and not worry

Corn stoves also do the same thing IIRC
luckily for me my house came with one $$$

eileenbunny said:
I agree with everything else you've said except this. I guess it comes down to what kind of a bather you are. It is the one thing I really regret that we didn't do in this house. We take so many baths and the standard sized bath tub sucks a lot. The jets would be really nice too. I've lived in a house with a real hot tub outside and it wasn't used very much.
It would be okay if you had room for a seperate shower, or got the smaller rectangular one that you could conveniently use as a shower as well. But the full sized two-person corner units don't work remotely well as a shower

Both the houseplans I really like have a seperate bath and shower, one has a big corner tub which I would love, but I wouldn't worry about getting it jetted, I just want the big soaking tub.