what the hell.

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i have to say something here about the way things have been going in debate threads.

there are a lot of very smart people on this board. and there are a lot of VERY different and opposing viewpoints and opinions on here. these two facts ought not to be disregarded nor disrespected.

these debate threads have turned into attacks and pissing contests. it should be noted that:
1) you cannot have a debate thread without opposing sides. keep this in mind and try to learn from opposing sides.
2) personal attacks have absolutely no significance in a thread and only serve to insult and distract the debate. there's no purpose in making attacks.
3) the most effective way to argue is to keep insults out of it.

debates should be a process of presenting points in hopes that others might learn something and educate themselves, regardless of which side they are on. people should practice simple consideration and respect when in a debate thread.

let's keep this place good for intellectual debates and not dumb pissing contests. the people here are worth it, don't you think?

(and this is NOT intended to be a shit-starter thread. i just wanted to voice my OPINION.)

that's great and all and a lot of us feel that way, but i fear the only way things are going to get better than they are now is if there's some actual legit moderation before things get out of hand.

that's great and all and a lot of us feel that way, but i fear the only way things are going to get better than they are now is if there's some actual legit moderation before things get out of hand.

this is probably true. the problem HERE is that there are no clear-cut ways to do so. maybe there needs to be a come-to-jesus meeting with mods about moderation and when measures should be taken to step in. maybe there should also be an order of steps that occur which end up in a final action (example: 1 would be warning because of personal insult. 2 would be another warning with example and a notification to admin. 3 would end up in a penalty...kicked out of thread, put in a pg playground, expelled for a day, etc.) i also think that mods and admins need to be professional and not personal when "discipling," for lack of better term. "this is the third attempt to control inappropriate personal attacks. the following will happen as a result."
i just think it's hard for everyone to be on solid ground, and that's where confusion and hurt feelings occur. :eek:

TO THORNBIRD ET F33NX

IT is requested that one or both of you cut and paste some examples of this outrageous behavior you have brought up. Name names, post examples.

i have to say something here about the way things have been going in debate threads.

there are a lot of very smart people on this board. and there are a lot of VERY different and opposing viewpoints and opinions on here. these two facts ought not to be disregarded nor disrespected.

these debate threads have turned into attacks and pissing contests. it should be noted that:
1) you cannot have a debate thread without opposing sides. keep this in mind and try to learn from opposing sides.
2) personal attacks have absolutely no significance in a thread and only serve to insult and distract the debate. there's no purpose in making attacks.
3) the most effective way to argue is to keep insults out of it.

debates should be a process of presenting points in hopes that others might learn something and educate themselves, regardless of which side they are on. people should practice simple consideration and respect when in a debate thread.

let's keep this place good for intellectual debates and not dumb pissing contests. the people here are worth it, don't you think?

(and this is NOT intended to be a shit-starter thread. i just wanted to voice my OPINION.)

Aren't you sorry you even brought it up?

TO THORNBIRD ET F33NX

IT is requested that one or both of you cut and paste some examples of this outrageous behavior you have brought up. Name names, post examples.

take a look at what happened in the wal-mart thread. then take a look at what happened in the respect thread. i think you'll find plenty of examples there.
and this thread is not to point fingers at ANYONE because i think EVERYONE has been guilty of name-calling and disrespecting at one time or another.

Aren't you sorry you even brought it up?

not yet. :)

i think a major difference here between you and i is that i personally know a lot of these members. when i first started here, i didn't realize that all the crap that was coming from these guys was coming from intellectuals with many sides. it has become more to me than names and attitudes from a board.
i am sorry that you and a few others have gotten off on the wrong foot (it seems that way, anyway.) in just reading other threads, i think you AND the others had valid points. what stuck out was the insults, which degraded any points anyone had to make. it became ugly and disrespectful. it left people trying to defend themselves rather than defend their arguments. and it's a shame to watch a good debate go downhill like that, especially when it could have been prevented.

not yet. :)

i think a major difference here between you and i is that i personally know a lot of these members. when i first started here, i didn't realize that all the crap that was coming from these guys was coming from intellectuals with many sides. it has become more to me than names and attitudes from a board.
i am sorry that you and a few others have gotten off on the wrong foot (it seems that way, anyway.) in just reading other threads, i think you AND the others had valid points. what stuck out was the insults, which degraded any points anyone had to make. it became ugly and disrespectful. it left people trying to defend themselves rather than defend their arguments. and it's a shame to watch a good debate go downhill like that, especially when it could have been prevented.

I have been posting in forums for many, many years. Being new (in my opinion) has little to do with it. It is just personality types.

And that is something that never changes.

I do, however, sincerely commend your desire for something better!!

take a look at what happened in the wal-mart thread. then take a look at what happened in the respect thread. i think you'll find plenty of examples there.
and this thread is not to point fingers at ANYONE because i think EVERYONE has been guilty of name-calling and disrespecting at one time or another.

Everyone? So... you're admitting to calling people names?

You know well you are being touchy feely, and I didnt read the Respect thread. The Wal Mart thread is pretty tame compared to what I deal with every single day so...

I have been posting in forums for many, many years. Being new (in my opinion) has little to do with it. It is just personality types.

And that is something that never changes.

I do, however, sincerely commend your desire for something better!!

i don't mean that it has anything to do with it, really. i guess i was trying to say that i have more patience now than when i did when i was new. that should not be an excuse for anyone's behavior, but for me, it gives me patience sometimes. :eek: my whole point i guess is that i wish that some of this wasn't between a newbie and an oldie. :hs:

Name calling isn't some heinous, horrible crime against humanity. People need thicker skins more than anything. Dysfunctional called me names, I called him names. In the end it doesn't make a difference and I actually respect his opinions. I like it when people are outspoken. I don't see why it's all so appalling to some.

Everyone? So... you're admitting to calling people names?

You know well you are being touchy feely, and I didnt read the Respect thread. The Wal Mart thread is pretty tame compared to what I deal with every single day so...

i'm sure i have. i try very hard to be respectful at all times, but i am not perfect. nor is anyone.
i don't think i'm being touchy feely. i just hate to see so many unnecessary remarks ruining good things.

Name calling isn't some heinous, horrible crime against humanity. People need thicker skins more than anything. Dysfunctional called me names, I called him names. In the end it doesn't make a difference and I actually respect his opinions. I like it when people are outspoken. I don't see why it's all so appalling to some.

but YOU being able to take it and have it roll off your back does not mean that HE will be able to. what you can take does not mean it should be what you give out. in the end, it might just so make a difference. it's hard to see respect through many cutdowns.
and i'm not calling this out because it's heinous or appalling. there ARE worse things. MY point is that it can be degrading to a good debate and intimidating to those who might want to contribute to thread but can't jump into the bullshit. :hs:

Believe it or not... I respect your opinions.

You turn a nice phrase.

Ultimately, the shots need to be more subtle, "trippingly off the tongue," as it were.

Then mods, and others, can see people are having fun and less likely to shut down the thread.

but YOU being able to take it and have it roll off your back does not mean that HE will be able to. what you can take does not mean it should be what you give out. in the end, it might just so make a difference. it's hard to see respect through many cutdowns.
and i'm not calling this out because it's heinous or appalling. there ARE worse things. MY point is that it can be degrading to a good debate and intimidating to those who might want to contribute to thread but can't jump into the bullshit. :hs:

That point is valid too.

By the time I had pulled the pin on my grenade, all the innocents had fled.