What technology do you wish was out there but isn't yet?

theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
Try and keep it realistic. Don't say things that are impossible (transporters) or so far out there that its unreasonable to think we'd have it in the day and age (warp engines). What do you think should be available technology wise but isn't around?

-Large scale bio-diesel production
-Alternative synthetic to replace refined oil(easily produced)

Ryokurin said:
Hoverboards.

Synthetic gasoline with the same power as normal gasoline (ethanol does not count. and biodiesel is close but not it)

I was thinking about that in the shower. :lol:

But a synthetic oil would produce a synthetic gasoline.

The synthetic oil is what we need more.

Ryokurin said:
Hoverboards.

Synthetic gasoline with the same power as normal gasoline (ethanol does not count. and biodiesel is close but not it)
I think hoverboards are a little on the stretch side.

I think its interesting the first couple responses are basically all alternative fuels.

I saw something a while back how industry was working on making lcd screens that were so thin you could actually roll themup to transport them. One day you will be able to wall paper your house with it and change the color of rooms at will.

b_sinning said:
I saw something a while back how industry was working on making lcd screens that were so thin you could actually roll themup to transport them. One day you will be able to wall paper your house with it and change the color of rooms at will.

yeah, I've read that in the past as well.

Synthetic fuels are the bomb.

Drool-Boy said:
Seriously, I would think we should be off of fossil fuels by now

It's only been ~75 years that we've been using them.
That's not really that long.

b_sinning said:
Actually, low-res black and white versions should be available in 2006. The demo's of those are getting better and better all the time.

theacoustician said:
I think hoverboards are a little on the stretch side.

I think its interesting the first couple responses are basically all alternative fuels.

Seriously though...what other industry is even close to what oil/refining/distributing does?

wr3kt said:
Seriously though...what other industry is even close to what oil/refining/distributing does?
Oh, I'm not disagreeing. I think bio-diesel and ethanol could be in much wider use TODAY if we wanted them. We could elminate farm subsidies if we had all our farmers raising plants for fuel. It would also boost the economy and lower forgein dependencies. Why we don't is way beyond me.

theacoustician said:
Um, its over 100 actually.

Hardcore use.
Yes, but it wasn't as widespread.
It's really generated kicked in around WW1 ... wait, I got my dates screwy. ~100 years.

theacoustician said:
Oh, I'm not disagreeing. I think bio-diesel and ethanol could be in much wider use TODAY if we wanted them. We could elminate farm subsidies if we had all our farmers raising plants for fuel. It would also boost the economy and lower forgein dependencies. Why we don't is way beyond me.

Because change isn't something that happens easily in beuracricies.

theacoustician said:

because oil is money. Until the farmers have a bigger lobby then the oil industry.

wr3kt said:
Because change isn't something that happens easily in beuracricies.
I bet you'd see an assload of change if you told people they could drive around for $0.25/gallon and it would only take a 2-3 hour service visit and $1000-$2000 dollars (basically what it takes to make a diesel engine compatible with bio-diesel).