What should I do, oh wise members of UF?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So my car got broken into a couple of months ago now. See this thread for more details.

http://uselessforum.com/showthread.php?t=6189

I have been given money from my insurance company (State Farm rocks) to have an installer construct the stolen amp/sub box and do the installation. Now I have done the install with the help of a friend once already. It has been two months and I have tried to contact the installer and set something up, but they are very slow and working out of their house garage it seems. My dad is a general contractor and finishing carpenter. I should say also this installer was what was recommended to me by the insurance company.

What I am thinking is just buy a prefab box for the sub, have my dad construct the rest of the box, wire it myself, then spend a bit of money getting it professionally checked out and tuned.

What do the sages of UF think of my plan? My insurance gave me about $375 to do this install.

My fun anecdote in regards to a state farm payment.

On my way home from the bar one night a deer hit me. Seriously, he ran right into the side of my car. That sumbiatch bounced all down the side of my wonderful Chevrolet Aluminum, doing about 1,500 worth of damage.

Once I had the car inspected by an adjuster I used a crowbar to bend the drivers side door out to the point where it could be opened again and pocketed the check. I used the cash to help get right side up on the damn thing when I sold it a year later.

The moral of the story... State Farm doesn't give a crap what you do with the money once they give it to you. Build it yourself and buy a pair of shoes or something.

On my way home from the bar one night a deer hit me. Seriously, he ran right into the side of my car. That sumbiatch bounced all down the side of my wonderful Chevrolet Aluminum, doing about 1,500 worth of damage.

Once I had the car inspected by an adjuster I used a crowbar to bend the drivers side door out to the point where it could be opened again and pocketed the check. I used the cash to help get right side up on the damn thing when I sold it a year later.

The moral of the story... State Farm doesn't give a crap what you do with the money once they give it to you. Build it yourself and buy a pair of shoes or something.
I made you screw up the forums? Nice!

Correct. I got some minor rear bumber damage once, and the guys insurance cut a check to replace the whole thing. I didn't give a shit, it was a jeep, so the dings made it look more rugged, like scars and shit, so I just took the cash and had my windows tinted.

If they gave you a check then its up to you to get it fixed for what they gave you. Now if you choose to go elsewhere and it costs more, especially since its been over two months since you got the check you may be screwed.

Well, the thing is the insurance didn't give me a check, they gave me a voucher, kind of like a reciept, to turn in with the people that are doing my install. I can't just get the money. I guess I could have my dad make a recepiet for some of it and pocket the money.

Well, the thing is the insurance didn't give me a check, they gave me a voucher, kind of like a reciept, to turn in with the people that are doing my install. I can't just get the money. I guess I could have my dad make a recepiet for some of it and pocket the money.

See, now you're talking insurance fraud. The problem with that route is that your dad will have to file the voucher in order to get reimbursed for the work performed. If he doesn't have a business license, EID, etc. that could lead to an investigation.

In a situation where they'll pay to have the work done you are better off just getting the work done. (my dos centavos)