Ontopic What is it with football and animal abuse?

Right. If you were offered 10 million to play football you'd be a fool to turn it down. It's the worship thing that gets me. It's not like the kids are idolizing nuclear physicists, they couldn't even name one, but they can tell you in precise detail how many touchdowns somebody made last year.

Nuclear physicists are no more deserving of fanfare than athletes or anyone else. If football gets you through your day, then run with it.

STEPHEN HAWKING

He has a show on PBS now called "Genius". It's way, way simplified, geared toward the young'uns but maybe can generate some interest.....if you could just get them to watch PBS between episodes of the kardashians and getting to the next level of Fallout4 or whatever.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
sounds to me, a lot, like jealousy

if your one issue with it is they are idolized, and the right people are not being idolized....do something about it. teach your kids about priorities.
I do. Lately I've been educating them on the principles of things like kinetic energy and momentum through the design, construction, and testing of homemade body armor.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
good..... so what's the problem? other parents?

Nah...their own parents. Every time I give them a much needed ass whoopin' they threaten to call the cops, but I just say the magic words, "I know what you did last summer" and for whatever reason they shutup about it.

He has a show on PBS now called "Genius". It's way, way simplified, geared toward the young'uns but maybe can generate some interest.....if you could just get them to watch PBS between episodes of the kardashians and getting to the next level of Fallout4 or whatever.
I shall have to check this out.

First episodes were a couple nights ago, here anyway. One on space/time and time travel, and one on getting people to understand the vastness of the universe, chances of conditions being right for intelligent life/are we alone.

Also, some of the actors aren't the greatest, bit it's geared towards young minds and/or people who"ve never really Sat down and contemplated that stuff before outside of pure fantasy.

He does a good job of crediting scientists of the past who figured out some of the principles that he's built on.

Right. If you were offered 10 million to play football you'd be a fool to turn it down. It's the worship thing that gets me. It's not like the kids are idolizing nuclear physicists, they couldn't even name one, but they can tell you in precise detail how many touchdowns somebody made last year.
Last I saw, a football team is a lot more publicized than a nuclear physicist.

Also, some of the actors aren't the greatest, bit it's geared towards young minds and/or people who"ve never really Sat down and contemplated that stuff before outside of pure fantasy.

He does a good job of crediting scientists of the past who figured out some of the principles that he's built on.
My youngest loves science and will watch things like the cosmos for hours. He'll probably love it.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
My youngest loves science and will watch things like the cosmos for hours. He'll probably love it.

Should be good then. It's not a "all Hawking, all the time, 'hard documentary'". He uses teams of 3 " regular people" who he sets up problems for, shows examples, and leads to conclusions, showing them how to "think like a genius". For example, using grains of sand, first a spoonful, then a bucket, then a wheelbarrow, and eventually a whole construction site full, to help people be able to imagine how many stars are in the galaxy, of which we are one, etc.

Simplifying the very complex so regular people can understand and still grasp the basic principles.

First two episodes might be online now that they've aired once but I don't know, it's a new thing.