What do you use your game console for above just gaming?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
My coworker was thinking about picking up a PS3 and I told him that we "hacked" ours to run Yellow Dog Linux distro just for the PS3 on it. That pretty much sold it for him and he bought the last gen one that still supported the "Other OS" option in the system menu and has been very happy with it.

I have installed YDL (obviously) which includes a chat client, office applications, media playback, and I have installed old school gaming console emulators. I haven't looked too much more into it, but I have read about web hosting, database hosting, torrent serving, and any other service you can think of running from it.

I have also read about hacking a DS or especially a PSP. The PSP moreso with Skype and other homebrew apps and emulators.

Then of course there is XBMC for the Xbox.

Have you hacked your gaming console to do more than just game?

This is a bit extreme.

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4711&start=15#p25312

I have two PS3, one for gaming and mediacenter and one for server purposes. I'm YLD in my PS3 because its stability (now I workaorunded all my old problems :) and its hardware specific patches. The PS3 is a nice server system. For only 300€ I got a decent machine that:
- Is very quiet (80Gb model)
- Runs the next services flawesly and performant:
- Apache2
- Subversion
- PHP
- CUPS
- MySql
- Samba
- Trac
- Mldonkey
- Mediatomb

Well, for me, is the perfect home/development server :)
And, because I'm programmer, I usually like learn new things, so I have the PS3 for Cell programming too : )

PD: Ah! and when a friend comes to my home, I can show him the IBM's Real Time raytracer! :)

I have a computer that does all of the stuff listed. My xbox basically only plays Halo and the occasional dvd.

My coworker was thinking about picking up a PS3 and I told him that we "hacked" ours to run Yellow Dog Linux distro just for the PS3 on it. That pretty much sold it for him and he bought the last gen one that still supported the "Other OS" option in the system menu and has been very happy with it.

I have installed YDL (obviously) which includes a chat client, office applications, media playback, and I have installed old school gaming console emulators. I haven't looked too much more into it, but I have read about web hosting, database hosting, torrent serving, and any other service you can think of running from it.

I have also read about hacking a DS or especially a PSP. The PSP moreso with Skype and other homebrew apps and emulators.

Then of course there is XBMC for the Xbox.

Have you hacked your gaming console to do more than just game?

You should talk to Ryan about the PSP stuff, he's got that thing hacked to do everything, and with the PS3 and the PSP together... he does everything with it.

I download HD movies and play them on the PS3, use it for bluray,if people come over and want to see pics, I can grab them from the laptop over the network or put the SD card in the card reader so every one can look at them on the big screen. You could stream audio, but I use an Airport express for that.

I play games on mine. Use a HTPC for everything else.

btw, for anyone who cares, the Boxee beta drops December 7th. I can't friggin wait.

I play games on mine. Use a HTPC for everything else.

btw, for anyone who cares, the Boxee beta drops December 7th. I can't friggin wait.

What's in it that's so interesting? I want a Mac Mini and run Plex on it :drool:

What's in it that's so interesting? I want a Mac Mini and run Plex on it :drool:

Yeah, thats what I run. I'll prolly switch back to Boxee after the beta though. They are totally revamping the UI, which currently sucks ass. And since they have the most VC $$ and buy in, its probably a better bet.