what do you think?

Well then that brings up a question in my mind. If you knew that your SO was going to have a special needs child would you support an abortion?

I would. I support abortion but don't actually think i would ever have one because i believe life starts upon conception but if i knew that i was going to have a special needs child I think i would abort. Life seems so tough for "normal" kids.

I wouldn't. I'm uncomfortable with the very thought of abortion in anything but the most medically necessary situations but I understand how it would seem like the more appealing option. At the end of the day, however, it wouldn't be my body and thus it wouldn't be my choice. I'd try like all hell to convince her to do otherwise but I wouldn't make a woman give birth to a child she didn't want. :(

As for the initial question, I wouldn't do the surgery. The possible complications from surgery and recovery wouldn't be preferable to the difficulty of raising the child as she normally would have grown. But then again I'm not a single mother and have no idea what it must be like for her. Either way I do hope she keeps it in her mind that surgery like this is not reversable. Whatever she chooses is what she and her daughter will have to live with forever.

Best of luck to your friend. :heart:

Well I don't have to agree with it now do I? You seem to think that in order for me to support abortion I have to agree with all of it's implications. I don't believe I have to. It is indeed someone's right to abort their handicapped baby, but it doesn't mean I agree with their action.

This is how it goes, I don't agree with the frivolous use of abortion but I'd never deny someone else's right to that choice. How is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Maybe I've lived with Flynavy too long but I've come to think that just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean my opinion needs to be lawfully imposed upon others. I'm as entitled to my opinion as anyone... and that is all it is, an opinion. No I wouldn't abort a handicapped child.. and truth be told I'd actually be the person adopting the handicapped child, because that's the type of person I am. I always rescue crippled, broken, damaged and sick things.

So, what were we arguing about again? :p
ahahahaha I finally made an impact with my innane ramblings

experiment: success

edit: LOL i just realized I'm one of those crippled/broken/damaged/sick things:nev:

Last edited:
edit: LOL i just realized I'm one of those crippled/broken/damaged/sick things:nev:

:lol: You, Bud, Macks, LuLu, and every other animal I've ever brought home.

I even had to rescue SchmilK from his mother... I'm still working on that one :fly:

I wouldn't. I'm uncomfortable with the very thought of abortion in anything but the most medically necessary situations but I understand how it would seem like the more appealing option. At the end of the day, however, it wouldn't be my body and thus it wouldn't be my choice. I'd try like all hell to convince her to do otherwise but I wouldn't make a woman give birth to a child she didn't want. :(

As for the initial question, I wouldn't do the surgery. The possible complications from surgery and recovery wouldn't be preferable to the difficulty of raising the child as she normally would have grown. But then again I'm not a single mother and have no idea what it must be like for her. Either way I do hope she keeps it in her mind that surgery like this is not reversable. Whatever she chooses is what she and her daughter will have to live with forever.

Best of luck to your friend. :heart:

of course the surgery isn't reversible...isn't that kind of the point? it's already a huge undertaking for her to take care of her daughter I can only imagine and to further compound that with adult female functions and the possibility of even getting a grand daughter out of the deal somehow would be horrifying

of course the surgery isn't reversible...isn't that kind of the point? it's already a huge undertaking for her to take care of her daughter I can only imagine and to further compound that with adult female functions and the possibility of even getting a grand daughter out of the deal somehow would be horrifying

This reminds me of a Law and Order episode. :shifty:

Damn you Dick Wolf!

Just get her tubes tied. It's just a period, they can reduce that down to once a year.

Edit: or not at all if you take the pills back to back.

eh, it's her daughter and her choice but I'd like to think that I would take it upon myself to raise the child without unnecessary surgeries as well as I could. like I said, I have no idea what it's like to be a single mother so her situation could be far more dire than I could imagine but if I were placed in the position today I would not have it done. it just wouldn't be worth it to me

To be completely honest the mentally handicap and birth defects really bother me. I just couldnt imagine living a life like that and why it happens. I guess it is more or less because I do not understand it is why it bothers me. I would never want to live like that and it is one of the main reasons I do not think I have enough balls to actually have a child of my own. For one I dont think I would be able to deal with it and for another I know that if kids were to make fun of my child I would be in jail. I know you are not suppose to feel bad for these people because they are people just like the rest of us, but thats the thing, they arent. I dunno, I hope that didnt come out wrong but anyone know what I am saying about the level of uncomfortableness? I know thats not a word, :(

I would say it is a good idea if for nothing more than sanitary reasons but also for sexually related reasons as well. If you aren't a girl then you wouldn't understand how much of an issue this could turn into later in life. The girl could could need multiple baths in a day during this time frame if left as is. Taking away the "woman hood" of a person that will never realize that they "are" in fact "a women" wouldn't be much of a deterrent to me if it were my child.

If you send these types of children and/oradults out into the world (ie the special schools and homes .. like when her mother is unable to care for her properly anymore) they can be sexually abused by sick people who work in those places (who work there just waiting for opportunities to come along). Rape is a common thing that happens, especially when the person cannot speak to tell what happened. Then guess what happens 9 months later? Yeah, not good. Impaired people rarely produce normal children, so then her mother would have 2 special needs persons to care for.

Having to take a pill everyday is probably something this child is already having to do on a regular basis and will continue to do so throughout life. One more will not hurt a thing or be a big deal, except expense wise.

I feel so bad for people in these situations. Such a hard time and decisions to make. Must really suck.

I'd say talk to the childs doctor before making any decisions though. Only they will make the decision on if they will actually do the procedure or not. A hysterectomy is not something doctors will just do if you request it.