what do you think about assisted-suicide?

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
i was reading an article on it off cnn.com and wondered how others feel about the subject.

i refrained from using the ontopic button but do wish that only interest in the subject at hand will prompt responses. :heart:

I don't really like it. It is one thing for a family member or close friend to do it, but for someone do it as a job or service - it is murder

one of my grandmothers essentially pulled the plug on herself at age 93 a few years ago...she was perfectly healthy and mentally all there...she just decided one day she'd had enough and stopped eating...she was dead inside 2 weeks but went out the way she wanted before frailty set in

how do you feel about people who assist with someone's death because that person is terminally ill?
Executioner-ish. Someone has got to.

Though Im pretty sure that having a direction for no extraordinary life saving measures which accomplish pretty much the same thing.

Anyone should be allowed to decide when they want to die at any time, and seek help in doing so if necessary. The tricky part is determining whether that person is in their right mind. Or at least for some people. Personally, I say that if you're too crazy to understand that you're about to kill yourself then you have no business existing in the first place. You're broken. A burden to nature and society.

I could do it if the person was suffering. My selfish feelings on the topic are overriden by their pain living.

As long as it's just a matter of setting up a Kevorkian style self-killing machine I'd probably be able to do it. I couldn't push the plunger, pulls the trigger or flip the switch though.

i was reading an article on it off cnn.com and wondered how others feel about the subject.

i refrained from using the ontopic button but do wish that only interest in the subject at hand will prompt responses. :heart:

I have a list of a few/several/178 people that need this sort of assistance.

Not sure I could do it. Some pretty rare circumstances I could see 'maybe', but then I would be pretty much racked with guilt for a long time afterwards.

ok, i dont think Thorn is asking if you could pull the trigger or pull the plug or whatever...

she's asking if you think it's ok if someone chooses to take their own lifes, if it should be done in a humane/painless/non-messy way with the help of dr. K or something.

ok, i dont think Thorn is asking if you could pull the trigger or pull the plug or whatever...

she's asking if you think it's ok if someone chooses to take their own lifes, if it should be done in a humane/painless/non-messy way with the help of dr. K or something.

Of course it is okay, it is that persons life to do as they wish. (My opinion anyway)

yeah, pretty much.
the article i was reading was about arresting four people who were part of an agency that helps people who have a good reason for wanting suicide obtain that goal. basically they set it all up for it to happen and then they clean it up so you don't know what happened kind of thing. but these 80-year-olds got arrested for doing it and that got me wondering what people thought of such things.

yeah, pretty much.
the article i was reading was about arresting four people who were part of an agency that helps people who have a good reason for wanting suicide obtain that goal. basically they set it all up for it to happen and then they clean it up so you don't know what happened kind of thing. but these 80-year-olds got arrested for doing it and that got me wondering what people thought of such things.

Hemlock society FTW