What do you northerns do when...?

I was going to answer this thread, but it seems to have taken a very different turn. :wtf:

fireplaces and electric blankets I suppose...never had the furnace go out that I can remember growing up in NY

fake edit: actually it would go out when we lost power from bad snow storms or ice storms

why_ask_why said:
fireplaces and electric blankets I suppose...never had the furnace go out that I can remember growing up in NY

fake edit: actually it would go out when we lost power from bad snow storms or ice storms

Were you in ATL a few years ago during the bad ice storms. I was without power for 4 days. No heat, no hot water. Just cold!

JJ Lady said:
Were you in ATL a few years ago during the bad ice storms. I was without power for 4 days. No heat, no hot water. Just cold!

yeah, I was here...my power was only out for like 4 hours:p

when my familys furnace went out one winter we couldn't afford to go to a hotel that night so we just all slept in sleeping bags in like the living room. The next day the guy came to fix the furnace.

SpangeMonkee said:
so, how'd you guys weather the night?

I found it best to move everyone into a small room and close the door. Turn the space heaters on high. A small ceramic heater can heat up an enclosed 100sqft room fairly quickly.
That's what we did, except the animals all wanted to run around instead of stay in the room, so it kinda made it hard.