what decade would you pick

galen's correct...i was using it incorrectly. i was intending it to be incorrect, however. it's a southern thing, and i know how much that annoys FG. :)

but kudos to you for knowing the difference!

Galen said:
That's what I was always taught. I can remember kids being disciplined for not using correct grammar in class. The way it should be if you ask me, keeping discipline is key. If someone threw a chair at me in Mathmatics class, and I were the teacher, I'd break a fucking ruler over his head.
Putting emphasis on certain dialectal variations is rather a sign good natured sentiments...

I have no idea what youre off about in the second half of that.

ChikkenNoodul said:
If you did that in this country these days, you'd be instantly arrested and 17 kids would come out of nowhere claiming you molested them while they dissected frogs or something
It's insane. I've seen disobedience in academia up until very recently. Maybe I'm getting older, but I think that children in general are becoming increasingly ill-mannered and antisocial. My school successfully posted a 100% success rate in all examinations (Grade C and above) and is unmatched in Ireland. From what I can see in the younger students, it's all downhill from here.

Thorn Bird said:
galen's correct...i was using it incorrectly. i was intending it to be incorrect, however. it's a southern thing, and i know how much that annoys FG. :)

but kudos to you for knowing the difference!
I only realized Spangemonkee's statement after I'd posted :p Sorry!

FlamingGlory said:
Putting emphasis on certain dialectal variations is rather a sign good natured sentiments...

I have no idea what youre off about in the second half of that.
I somehow related grammar to kids no longer using it correctly (or showing a lack of respect for it, u c) and and therefore to the disobdience of modern day children.

Galen said:
It's insane. I've seen disobedience in academia up until very recently. Maybe I'm getting older, but I think that children in general are becoming increasingly ill-mannered and antisocial. My school successfully posted a 100% success rate in all examinations (Grade C and above) and is unmatched in Ireland. From what I can see in the younger students, it's all downhill from here.
They totally are, it seems that we're entering a realm where the student is always right.

The parents want the school to teach their kids everything , but they don't punish them and they get angry when the teachers try to.

ChikkenNoodul said:
They totally are, it seems that we're entering a realm where the student is always right.

The parents want the school to teach their kids everything , but they don't punish them and they get angry when the teachers try to.
I've heard it's incredibly difficult to suspend or expel students these days, and if that is the case, the parents have a right to appeal the decision which usually always amounts in the child being reinstated.

I just don't understand where they're getting it from. A lack of drive and understanding on how much it impinges on their life perhaps.

Galen said:
I somehow related grammar to kids no longer using it correctly (or showing a lack of respect for it, u c) and and therefore to the disobdience of modern day children.
I blame cell phones. Ever get a text? 0_o

ChikkenNoodul said:

I was talkin ' to Thorn about this kinda thing the other day. You can't giv someone a good ass kickin' these days. There are a ton of people out there that need the shit kicked out of them and the sense knocked in to them. But, alas, you might actually have to go to jail for beating the hell outta of someone who tried to break in to your house or raped your sister.

FlamingGlory said:
I blame cell phones. Ever get a text? 0_o
The one's I get are generally in good english. I'd never use a phone for text messaging though, I prefer the personality of a phone call. Old fashioned, but never outdated.

SpangeMonkee said:
I was talkin ' to Thorn about this kinda thing the other day. You can't giv someone a good ass kickin' these days. There are a ton of people out there that need the shit kicked out of them and the sense knocked in to them. But, alas, you might actually have to go to jail for beating the hell outta of someone who tried to break in to your house or raped your sister.
There'd be a lot less killings and people hooked on antidepressants if people could just beat the crap out of each other instead of having to bottle all that anger up all the time.

Galen said:
The one's I get are generally in good english. I'd never use a phone for text messaging though, I prefer the personality of a phone call. Old fashioned, but never outdated.
Not answering your phone is the best way to avoid on call work. Either way, broken, wiggerish english. *pounds head on desk*

Public schools cater to the slowest player. That means if at least one of the students is semi-retarded, violent, and ill mannered the entire class is going to be taught at that speed. Until the rest of the kids realise there isnt any point in even trying and then it all snowballs...

ChikkenNoodul said:
There'd be a lot less killings and people hooked on antidepressants if people could just beat the crap out of each other instead of having to bottle all that anger up all the time.

i think part of the reason is fear. people don't walk around with loaded fists anymore...they have loaded guns. there are no fist fights with the slight fear of a knife being pulled. the intent is no longer to harm but to kill. that's scary.

i can't even give someone a cross look in the car anymore without wondering if they have a gun to help deal with their road rage. i got chased by two guys a few months ago when they wouldn't move their car at a stop sign. i honked and called them crazy, and they were on my bumper. i was scared. that pissed me off.

no one can be angry anymore or aggravated at anyone for the fear that the other person might be crazy and reckless.

Thorn Bird said:
no one can be angry anymore or aggravated at anyone for the fear that the other person might be crazy and reckless.
People are totally inept when it comes to violent confrontations, they cant swallow it and walk away or they go too far. Because what do they teach you in school? Being victimized rocks, and under no circumstance should you fight back. Anyway, pacificist scare me much more than regular people, they do get violent and they always take it too far. Then there is white trash... bleh

Thorn Bird said:
i think part of the reason is fear. people don't walk around with loaded fists anymore...they have loaded guns. there are no fist fights with the slight fear of a knife being pulled. the intent is no longer to harm but to kill. that's scary.

i can't even give someone a cross look in the car anymore without wondering if they have a gun to help deal with their road rage. i got chased by two guys a few months ago when they wouldn't move their car at a stop sign. i honked and called them crazy, and they were on my bumper. i was scared. that pissed me off.

Eh, more people had guns in the old days - people are just repressed too much that when they snap, they snap big.

Partly because of the "if you hit someone hard enough to hurt 'em, you might as well kill 'em cuz yer goin' to jail either way" mindset too

Jesus. I don't know what schools you guys went to, but the most I seen at mine as a form of weaponry was a cattle prod :p

Galen said:
Jesus. I don't know what schools you guys went to, but the most I seen at mine as a form of weaponry was a cattle prod :p
One of my old schools had a rifle team... They kept the weapons in their lockers :lol: