What could I be doing wrong?

Okay, I have a computer question too.

My boss is trying to set up a wi-fi network in his house, and I don't know much about them.

Upstairs is his host computer. A Mac on a cable modem with a router hooked up. Connects to the internet just fine.

Downstairs is his PC, which contains his AOL 9.0 dial-up crap. He bought a wireless router to connect to his host computer upstairs, and it connects fine with a fairly consistent 70% signal.

How do we configure IE to detect the wireless network to connect to the internet, and forget about the AOL crap which his browsers default to? I browsed quickly through Tools > Internet Options and clicked on "Add network connection". Do I set it up as a VPN? If so how do I get the IP address of the equipment upstairs and whatnot?

Blah blah blah I shoulda been a computer dude.

Sarcasmo said:

My boss is trying to set up a wi-fi network in his house, and I don't know much about them.

Upstairs is his host computer. A Mac on a cable modem with a router hooked up. Connects to the internet just fine.

Downstairs is his PC, which contains his AOL 9.0 dial-up crap. He bought a wireless router to connect to his host computer upstairs, and it connects fine with a fairly consistent 70% signal.

How do we configure IE to detect the wireless network to connect to the internet, and forget about the AOL crap which his browsers default to? I browsed quickly through Tools > Internet Options and clicked on "Add network connection". Do I set it up as a VPN? If so how do I get the IP address of the equipment upstairs and whatnot?

uninstall AOL

Sarcasmo said:

Are you kidding?

Set the router on the PC to access point mode. Then make sure DHCP is on. That should be all you have to do.

Edit : I'm assuming the router hooked to the Mac has wireless already and its turned on, correct?

theacoustician said:
Are you kidding?

Set the router on the PC to access point mode. Then make sure DHCP is on. That should be all you have to do.

Edit : I'm assuming the router hooked to the Mac has wireless already and its turned on, correct?

I liked my answer much better :p

it sounds like the router upstairs does not have wireless and maybe they are trying to share out the cabled internet connection to the mac via wireless on the mac?

if that's the case, the easier route would be to move the wireless router upstairs, hook it to the modem, and put a wireless card in the pc downstairs

why_ask_why said:
if that's the case, the easier route would be to move the wireless router upstairs, hook it to the modem, and put a wireless card in the pc downstairs

THAT'S WHAT WE DID HIPPIE. :fly:

Okay, upstairs on the Mac is a cable modem and this thing.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessRoutersandGateways/WPN824.aspx

Downstairs on the PC is this:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/RangeMaxAdapters/WPN111.aspx

The adapter picks up the router's signal fine, but I can't get IE downstairs to connect to the internets.

Where do I go to turn on DHCP or whatever?

Sarcasmo said:
THAT'S WHAT WE DID HIPPIE. :fly:

Okay, upstairs on the Mac is a cable modem and this thing.

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/RangeMaxWirelessRoutersandGateways/WPN824.aspx

Downstairs on the PC is this:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adapters/RangeMaxAdapters/WPN111.aspx

The adapter picks up the router's signal fine, but I can't get IE downstairs to connect to the internets.

Where do I go to turn on DHCP or whatever?

that is not EVEN CLOSE to what you said initially :lol:

you go into the router config, turn on dhcp...the manual should give you pretty much idiot proof instructions on that...pretty much being the operative phrase here :fly:

Factory default for that unit is DHCP server is on.

Just because its reading signal, are you sure its actually connected to the router?

why_ask_why said:
that is not EVEN CLOSE to what you said initially :lol:

you go into the router config, turn on dhcp...the manual should give you pretty much idiot proof instructions on that...pretty much being the operative phrase here :fly:

My bad, I meant to say adapter, not router on the PC.

Sarcasmo said:
Well, no. I'm assuming the DHCP thing will rectify that?
No, the way wireless adapters work are that they read all the wireless networks in range and let you choose which one you want to connect to.

I'm guessing you haven't bothered to connect to the wireless network yet.

The Netgear WPN111 adapter comes with a small software suite that walks you through all of that. You select the Wireless network from a dropdown box, it does it's thing, etc. I'm assuming it's connected since I didn't get any error messages or anomalies during that process.

We had to duck out kind of in the middle to get back to work and jump on a conference call. We ran over on our lunch break to try and sort it out quickly, but of course it didn't happen that way. I'm just looking for things to try when we go back tomorrow.

Sarcasmo said:
The Netgear WPN111 adapter comes with a small software suite that walks you through all of that. You select the Wireless network from a dropdown box, it does it's thing, etc. I'm assuming it's connected since I didn't get any error messages or anomalies during that process.

We had to duck out kind of in the middle to get back to work and jump on a conference call. We ran over on our lunch break to try and sort it out quickly, but of course it didn't happen that way. I'm just looking for things to try when we go back tomorrow.

get rid of the netgear software and just use the built in wireless stuffs in XP...you should see an icon in the tray for wireless...double click it and select the proper network to connect to...you should be in from there...if you leave the netgear crap installed you will have to make sure the two wireless softwares don't fight with each other which is why I recommend just going the XP wireless route