What could I be doing wrong?

Sarcasmo said:
Whatever the issue is, I have it as well. It takes me about 5 minutes to join a game, and everytime I start a fresh round everyone else has been playing and capping flags and shit.

It just hurts, you know?

a9fa9ea02e859b304fb2504bb492a524.jpg

I'll raise you
babycry.jpg

why_ask_why said:
bad ram stick maybe? do you have 2 1gb sticks? tried each one individually?
i suppose thats possible. ill test that. btw, the MB had the latest BIOS on it, but I even tried flashing it to the latest beta, no go.

Figured out the problem. Zonealarm. Now, I had thought that was the problem, so I HAD shut it down. Apparently, to 'fix' it you not only have to shut zonealarm down, but you have to uninstall it, then rip out the NIC. Once all that is done, it will be fine. :tard:

Anyone know of a good free firewall/outbound port checker?

fly said:
Figured out the problem. Zonealarm. Now, I had thought that was the problem, so I HAD shut it down. Apparently, to 'fix' it you not only have to shut zonealarm down, but you have to uninstall it, then rip out the NIC. Once all that is done, it will be fine. :tard:

I use Kaspersky and its lightweigh, only 5 megs of memory usage. No noticable slowdown either.

fly said:

ORLY?!?!?! Cause I'm running ZA too, and it seemed like some of those load times were a bit long. Let me know what you end up replacing it with plz :)

I've never been enthusiastic about software firewalls. Never send software to do hardware's job. What do these products do that you guys want so badly? Apart from bogging down your machine, that is.

itburnswhenipee said:
I've never been enthusiastic about software firewalls. Never send software to do hardware's job. What do these products do that you guys want so badly? Apart from bogging down your machine, that is.
monitor outbound connections, thats all i care about. I'm NAT'ted, so other than that its pretty useless.

fly said:
monitor outbound connections, thats all i care about. I'm NAT'ted, so other than that its pretty useless.

Well, if you want both performance and paranoia I'd recommend taking a junked computer, putting your favorite distro of linux on it and using it as a watchdog.

fly said:

*cough*

Coqui said:
she probably has less crap slowing things down than yours

:fly:

fly said:
I had shut zonealarm off. I *thought* that was enough. Stupid fucking software.

A lot of software will have one or more processes running even if every single feature of the program has been switched off. CD burning software, computer diagnostic software, all kinds of stuff.

itburnswhenipee said:
A lot of software will have one or more processes running even if every single feature of the program has been switched off. CD burning software, computer diagnostic software, all kinds of stuff.

That's why I'll never install McAfee on my machine. That program takes all your resources