What could I be doing wrong?

why_ask_why said:
I'm curious to see your head to head 3dmark scores to see if it really is an ati vs nvidia thing

edit: also, are you both pci-e or is she agp vs you pci-e?
me pci-e
ape agp

could the video card really slow load times though?

fly said:
me pci-e
ape agp

could the video card really slow load times though?

don't a good portion of the textures in the map load into onboard ram of the card? is it possible that a poorly implemented pci-e is getting it's ass kicked by a matured setup of agp?

edit:tried flashing the bios of the mobo and firmware of vidcard with the latest?

Don't use the nVidia IDE drivers. In fact, the only thing I use out of the Forceware package are the ethernet drivers and the chipset drivers. Do no install the hardware firewall package, sound drivers, or IDE drivers.

theacoustician said:
Don't use the nVidia IDE drivers. In fact, the only thing I use out of the Forceware package are the ethernet drivers and the chipset drivers. Do no install the hardware firewall package, sound drivers, or IDE drivers.
That was what I was going to try when I got home. I assumed that they were better. Now, how can I get rid of them?

edit: And why not sound?

fly said:
That was what I was going to try when I got home. I assumed that they were better. Now, how can I get rid of them?

edit: And why not sound?
If you're using integrated sound, the Forceware always seems to be 2 to 3 versions behind the mfr's version. I have no idea why they do this. The only way I know to make sure that Windows won't revert and try and use the driver is a fresh install.

And check your DMA mode on your HDD. If you have some silly number of read errors (something like 5 or more) Windows will automatically revert you to a slower DMA mode and never change it back. You have to do it manually.

Also, if you're set for a higher level of graphics, load times will differ based on what textures the game is trying to load.

theacoustician said:
If you're using integrated sound, the Forceware always seems to be 2 to 3 versions behind the mfr's version. I have no idea why they do this. The only way I know to make sure that Windows won't revert and try and use the driver is a fresh install.
I was afraid of that. Hmmm

And how do I check DMA errors? (All details and resolutions were set the same btw)

fly said:
I was afraid of that. Hmmm

And how do I check DMA errors? (All details and resolutions were set the same btw)
Go into Device Manager and check what transfer mode your HDD is using. Its under the controller, not the HDD itself. If it doesn't say Ultra DMA 5 or 6, then that's a problem.

theacoustician said:
Go into Device Manager and check what transfer mode your HDD is using. Its under the controller, not the HDD itself. If it doesn't say Ultra DMA 5 or 6, then that's a problem.
o. ya i checked that. it says 6.

Okay, so we both get the same read speeds ~55MB/s. Removing the nVidia IDE drivers did not resolve the issue. I'm really at a loss here.

fly said:
Okay, so we both get the same read speeds ~55MB/s. Removing the nVidia IDE drivers did not resolve the issue. I'm really at a loss here.

try flashing the firmware on the card and the bios?

Whatever the issue is, I have it as well. It takes me about 5 minutes to join a game, and everytime I start a fresh round everyone else has been playing and capping flags and shit.

It just hurts, you know?

a9fa9ea02e859b304fb2504bb492a524.jpg