Pics What conservatives want (don't want).

Republicans are making state workers pay into their pensions here in the US ( see rRepublican & Tea Party governor Rick Scott in Florida's recent budget) Most of us involved in a 401k have to pay in. So, yes, I'm in favor of changing the way government pension plans work today.

That has nothing to do with the federal budget.

But you want to change Todays federal pension recipients? I think that goes back to the OP's original post of people like their entitlements and your politicians like their comfy job so it's easy to get votes by promising current recipients that you won't reduce their income. You'll give algore a reason to hit the newsshows with his 'lockbox' BS.

Not really. The link you provided clearly shows that there is a strong percentage of conservatives who believe that cutting everything across the board except defense is the way to go.

That's part of the link. The intent of this thread is what I say it is because I made it. That argument is neither here nor there, as I don't think there is any argument that can be reasonably made that defense spending is more financially burdensome than our entitlements program.

lol. I didn't say "stop paying the elders." As those old farts die off, the Sucking sound on your wallet will fade.

But that's what would happen if money in equals money out. We still have the problem of a dwindling workforce and an increasing elderly population. The only two viable solutions as I see it are means testing or pushing back coverage.

No tax breaks for the ultra rich. All of us have to pay our fair share of the taxes. Stop policing the world and pull back our military presence. Let the UN do the grunt work of fighting evil. The money you save from not fighting multiple wars at the same time put back into the education system. Get realistic about the war on drugs. Let the minor infractions go and focus on the larger fish. Just doing that would save a fortune.

I always laugh when people say we need to stop policing and save the money. We are not in the business of policing or fighting when there isn't something in it for us. We don't do the good guy protection. We leave that for the UN. When we get involved it's because we are trying to save money in the long run. Realistically gas could be $10 a gallon if all of the oil nations were left on their own to set the price. In the long run we would spend alot more by not showing force and protecting items than we would if we didn't do a thing.

I always laugh when people say we need to stop policing and save the money. We are not in the business of policing or fighting when there isn't something in it for us. We don't do the good guy protection. We leave that for the UN. When we get involved it's because we are trying to save money in the long run. Realistically gas could be $10 a gallon if all of the oil nations were left on their own to set the price. In the long run we would spend alot more by not showing force and protecting items than we would if we didn't do a thing.

True. War is fought over either religion or resources, or both..

Aren't they already setting their own prices? When we invaded an oil rich country, why did the price of fuel rise? Not sure I agree.

Aren't they already setting their own prices? When we invaded an oil rich country, why did the price of fuel rise? Not sure I agree.

Oil prices are less based on the actual stock but more on the fear or chance that something will affect future stock. Example a hurricane in the gulf, a Russia vs. Chechnya skirmish, or a military, dictator, or war lord taking over supplies or access to supplies.

But that's what would happen if money in equals money out. We still have the problem of a dwindling workforce and an increasing elderly population. The only two viable solutions as I see it are means testing or pushing back coverage.

"money in equals money out" regarding pension/SS/ will never happen until we fully implement "means testing" AND "pushing back" and finally eliminating "coverage" as it stands today.

"money in equals money out" regarding pension/SS/ will never happen until we fully implement "means testing" AND "pushing back" and finally eliminating "coverage" as it stands today.

We're in agreement then. I thought you had the cart before the horse. Sorry.

Anymore it's basically a big game of Risk. People with financial interests are the ones moving the pieces. I'm not saying that's always bad because I don't want to pay $10 a gallon for gas.

I'd rather pay $0 on gas, and convert to electricity, but those big oil needs to break last years profit records.

When you say "conservative" do you mean financially, socially, or both? Are they two separate entities or are they intertwined and inseparable?

Money in is not going to equal the same amount when coming out 30-40 years later. Inflation fucks you.

Oil prices are less based on the actual stock but more on the fear or chance that something will affect future stock. Example a hurricane in the gulf, a Russia vs. Chechnya skirmish, or a military, dictator, or war lord taking over supplies or access to supplies.

I'm not talking about oil by the barrel. I don't care about oil as a commodity, I was speaking about it as a source of fuel. What we pay at the pump is only a fraction of the actual cost of oil when you consider the deficiencies caused by tax breaks to oil companies, government programs that specifically benefit oil, the lowered sales tax on gasoline products, and the environmental costs. The real cost of fuel to the consumer is probably more like $20-$30 a gallon.

I'm not talking about oil by the barrel. I don't care about oil as a commodity, I was speaking about it as a source of fuel. What we pay at the pump is only a fraction of the actual cost of oil when you consider the deficiencies caused by tax breaks to oil companies, government programs that specifically benefit oil, the lowered sales tax on gasoline products, and the environmental costs. The real cost of fuel to the consumer is probably more like $20-$30 a gallon.

Well that depends on where you are, in MA with a $0.21 per gallon road tax, and a 5.something% sales tax, the gasoline is taxed higher than the sales tax rate even at $3.50 a gallon.