Pics What conservatives want (don't want).

Most wasteful spending we have for such a giant part of the budget.

Add in all the ancillary costs, and we spent almost a trillion dollars on defense last year. Cut that by 50%, take 10% and put it into education, 10% into infrastructure improvements, another 10% into Alternative Energy, with the other 70% not being assigned and used for deficit reduction.

This part is fine.

You'll see less hatred for the US as we aren't getting our shit involved in their crap, and a better, more stable life back home by investing in some core needs for maintaining the american way of life.

This part is feel good nonsense.

Sure, two can play, just make sure you disclose the co-mingling.

Your defense includes Pension. Gonna take those away?

Would you? On the state level it's the pensions that make workers expensive i.e. paying people after they are no longer producing.

Ok, but why is everyone so hungry to cut defense but not the hundred other wasteful programs and initiatives out there?

did you not see the part where I said it's a start? it's the single biggest discretionary item there is, it's the right place to look at before anything else. once it's done then move onto the other programs but a trillion dollars is pretty damn significant

This is a joke post, right?

Not really, no.

If you look at our total involvement in the Iraq mess, we've had troops over there specifically involved in policing and doing war in Iraq since 1991. And we still haven't really accomplished much.

Sure, two can play, just make sure you disclose the co-mingling.

Your defense includes Pension. Gonna take those away?

Republicans are making state workers pay into their pensions here in the US ( see rRepublican & Tea Party governor Rick Scott in Florida's recent budget) Most of us involved in a 401k have to pay in. So, yes, I'm in favor of changing the way government pension plans work today.

Would you? On the state level it's the pensions that make workers expensive i.e. paying people after they are no longer producing.

No. I wouldn't. But as i mentioned before, the drawdown has to start with future recipients. ie: the money goes into an account today for the current producers retirement. Not, the current plan of "hey, we're not saving anything now, we'll just grab the cash that your kids are earning & give it to you and call it, uh, well, your pension." this unfunded shit is BS.

The intent of this thread was to discuss conservatism and it's view of entitlements. We're way off track.

The intent of this thread was to discuss conservatism and it's view of entitlements. We're way off track.

Not really. The link you provided clearly shows that there is a strong percentage of conservatives who believe that cutting everything across the board except defense is the way to go.

No. I wouldn't. But as i mentioned before, the drawdown has to start with future recipients. ie: the money goes into an account today for the current producers retirement. Not, the current plan of "hey, we're not saving anything now, we'll just grab the cash that your kids are earning & give it to you and call it, uh, well, your pension." this unfunded shit is BS.

That system would necessarily make the social security system solvent, however, it does not solve the sustainability problem.