b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
I'm currently reading

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

It's about the fight between the old Gods and the New Gods. The main character named Shadow is a guy just out of jail that has just lost his wife and pretty much everything he has. He's hired by an odd guy that knows too much about him. He helps this guy, who he later figures out to be the God Odin, hunt down and recruit the other old gods for a War that is coming. The old gods are various quarky colorful people that the regular people just seem to not really pay much attention.
The Old Gods say they were brought over with the immigrants and created by their beliefs and prayers and as the people died and changed their beliefs the Gods lost their power and were stranded. Some have taken jobs and are growing old and the new gods are slowly killing them off. The new Gods are beings like the TV, Internet, and the beuracrat. Cold hard beings with no real soul or personality. There is a great scene where the TV God talks to Shadow as Lucile Ball while he's watching TV and tries to show him Lucy's boobs to try to convience him not to help the old gods.

So far it's a great book.

well, not that anyone will care, but i just finished the mermaid chair by sue monk kidd. it was AWESOME -- one i will have to own and get signed. (i love to go to book signings.) kidd also wrote the secret life of bees which is also a great book.

b_sinning said:
I'm currently reading

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

So far it's a great book.

Yes, I enjoyed that one as well. Stardust was good little read, as was Neverwhere.

Currently reading Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds. Trashy Sci Fi for the win.

I'm finishing up Three Road to Quantum Gravity by Lee Smolin and about to start Hyperspace by Michio Kaku.

Hyperspace was written 10 years ago, but apparently is still relevant to string theory today. :iono:

After all this, I think I shall start reading some fiction.

I just finished "Angel's and Demons" by the guy who wrote the DaVinci Code. It was pretty good.

They had these ambigrams in there (words that are legible upside down and right side up) that were pretty friggin' wild.

Millions said:
I just finished "Angel's and Demons" by the guy who wrote the DaVinci Code. It was pretty good.

They had these ambigrams in there (words that are legible upside down and right side up) that were pretty friggin' wild.
Heh I finished that book a few weeks ago.

I've started Da Vinci's code, but I dont really have much time to read lately, or so it seems.

After Angels and Demons I read the 6th Harry Potter book (Half Blood Prince)

I'm just about done with The Difference Engine. It's my first venture into the steampunk genre, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Can anyone recommend any other steampunk novels?

*Fuxx Burger* said:
Heh I finished that book a few weeks ago.

I've started Da Vinci's code, but I dont really have much time to read lately, or so it seems.

After Angels and Demons I read the 6th Harry Potter book (Half Blood Prince)

Yeah I wanted to pick up Da Vinci code too...but there's only so much of that religious conspiracy hogwash I can take. It gets kind of boring really quick for me.

Haven't ever touched a Harry Potter book. They just don't do it for me. (Except that Saturday Night Live when Lindsey Lohan played the Hermione girl. RAWRRR!!!)

Millions said:
Yeah I wanted to pick up Da Vinci code too...but there's only so much of that religious conspiracy hogwash I can take. It gets kind of boring really quick for me.

Haven't ever touched a Harry Potter book. They just don't do it for me. (Except that Saturday Night Live when Lindsey Lohan played the Hermione girl. RAWRRR!!!)
Well I had originally bought Da Vinci's code, but one day at work it was really slow, so my co worked had just finished Angels and Demons so I picked it up and started reading to pass the time. Ended up taking the book on vacation with me :D

The copy of Da Vinci's code is the hard cover illustrated one with pictures of the Louvre, and all the paintings. I spent a fair amount on it, so I want to make sure I read it.
Other then that, I don't plan on reading any more of his books.

*Fuxx Burger* said:
Well I had originally bought Da Vinci's code, but one day at work it was really slow, so my co worked had just finished Angels and Demons so I picked it up and started reading to pass the time. Ended up taking the book on vacation with me :D

The copy of Da Vinci's code is the hard cover illustrated one with pictures of the Louvre, and all the paintings. I spent a fair amount on it, so I want to make sure I read it.
Other then that, I don't plan on reading any more of his books.

i've read the da vinci code, and it was awesome. the religious portion is interesting in a fictitious way, if you will. i've heard that angels & demons is good, but not as good as the da vinci code. i've also heard that his others aren't anything worth talking about.

itburnswhenipee said:
I'm just about done with The Difference Engine. It's my first venture into the steampunk genre, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Can anyone recommend any other steampunk novels?

Stephenson's other books are good.

itburnswhenipee said:

Something by China Melville, may fit the bill. Something like his Iron Council.

b_sinning said:
Stephenson's other books are good.

Not steampunk, but Cryptonomicon, rocked in my opinion. Ooh, and his Snow Crash was just good old Cyberpunk at its finest.

Oops, forgot about:The Diamond Age : Or, a Young Lady's Illustrated Primer
--this one fits the steampunk category methinks

Last edited: